Short vs. Long Nails

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by forextraspecialstuff • Jul 2, 2014.

1. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger I used to wear my nails fairly long and polish them with eye catching colors, lime green, hot pink, teal etc. As I got older I kept the eye catching polish but started wearing my nails much shorter. Now my nails do not even extend past my fingertips and I love the look of them.

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm more comfortable doing work (household or otherwise) with short nails. I even prefer short nails for all my kids but my eldest son studies classical guitar and he is required to grow his nails. So now he has more nail supplies than I have like nail hardeners, nail file, etc... But for me, it's has always been short nails, more easy to clean and maintain. :)

3. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    I have short nails. I can't stand long nails; it feels extremely weird and like it hurts when I touch stuff. Nail color is regular color. My elementary Chinese teacher made me wash it off when I had one nail done from a classmate. In fact, she made all the girls who had nail polish go wash it off. Then when I was in fifth grade in U.S., I received a make-up kit with nail polish, and I used blue and other girls really liked it at school, but when my mom discovered me at home she took me in her left hand and the make-up kit in her right hand and went and put the kit by the big dumpster on a rainy day. Ever since then (I'm in college now for four years) I never polished my nails.

4. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have long nails that are on the shorter side if that makes sense. They are artificial though. I can't keep up the maintenance of natural long nails though I still love to paint them when they're short. I do live bright colors as well. If I have long(er) nails chances are they are fake. I went to the nail salon last night and got a really cute design on them that I found off Pinterest!

5. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    This thread has actually reminded me to clip my nails, and they're not bugging me as I type this since they're just that little bit too long!

I much prefer short nails though. Longer nails catch on things, and they make typing difficult. Not only that, but with the amount of typing I'm doing these days trying to make a bit of money here and there, having longer nails ends up hurting a lot

6. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I used to have stubs for fingernails because I would chew them. One day I just decided to stop chewing them and let them grow.

They look very healthy and my fingers look better. I do a lot of landscaping so my nails come in handy. Although sometimes I might get them caught on something or they might bend. And the fingernail doesn't really go past my finger but it's still a good length overall.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always kept my nails fairly short and never use nail polish, simply because I am a practical person, working with my hands all day. I don't like the feeling of nail polish on my fingernails. To me it feels as if my fingers can't "breathe" properly. I certainly don't like the smell of nail polish. Whenever I see someone with very long, painted nails, I start thinking about how much dirt they have hidden under that glossy façade.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I keep them short and simple. Many years ago I used to wear them long but stopped doing it once I got a job that required me to type fast and accurate. And by keeping them simple I mean, no polish. Everything's easier to maintain now and the little I save on polish goes towards more meaningful things :D

9. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I like my nails short. They are easier to maintain. They don't get caught on anything or bend backwards. I don't like nail polish either. I think it feels funny on my nails. If I ever do put on nail polish for some strange reason, I start picking off the polish. The polish only lasts for a day or so on my nails.

10. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    Short nails are definitely easier to maintain, as well as not having to worry about them snagging on something or breaking. I love wearing my nails short. Even if I get acrylic nails, I make sure to wear them short. The ladies at the place think I'm nuts. Whenever I see someone with super long nails I always wonder how they go to the bathroom. That cannot be easy. :)

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also liked to wear my nails long when I was younger. I also love bright and/or eye catching colors. I now wear my nails much shorter. I also don't wear any bright colors on my fingers. I just wear clear. It's just easier to maintain. I do wear bright and eye catching colors on my toes. What's life without a bit of whimsy?

12. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    I used to have long nails as well, but I just can't do it anymore. With my job, they get broken off all the time, so keeping them short just makes more sense. I also don't really polish them that often anymore, for the same reason. That being said, mine are red white and blue right now from the 4th of July :)

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say my nails are medium size, and I like them like that. I don't like them short because they don't look good, but I don't like them long either because it's uncomfortable and they start breaking and chipping. So to me having them medium size is perfect because they look nice and polished and are easy to maintain.

14. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Short nails I always prefer, this way I know that they are clean casue I am a neat freak in other words, I like them short becasue I so alot of cooking and typing at work. I like to go get my nails done only on occasion like if weddings or any ball events are going on.

15. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I prefer keeping my nails short because long nail break way too much and once you break them, it just messes everything up by looking asymmetrical and ungroomed. Also, long nails require more maintenance, and personally, I don't have the patience for all that. I just cut my nails and leave only a sliver of white showing above the nail, and I like it that way, my nails don't break as much and don't get too dirty.

16. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I also wear short nails without any nail polish. Being a pianist for most of my life, I had no choice. I went through high school sometimes envying the long colored nails of my classmates and friends, but eventually got over it when I had to choose between teenage vanity and my love for playing the piano. When I have to paint my nails for some special occasions like parties or weddings, the polish may only last for 2-3 days then they would chip off on the edges due to my finger activities. Now, I just keep them clean and buffed. That's it. I couldn't imagine myself wearing long fingernails, even fake ones, because I wouldn't know how to move with long nails. I'm happy.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer short nails. I never let them grow longer than usual. Since my job involves writing and I have to use my fingers all the time, I have to trim my nails often. I find it more comfortable to type with short nail and besides, having short nails, I don't have to worry much about the dirt seeping underneath my nails that much.

18. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I love my long nails. I went through phases of biting them so they were short much of my lifetime. However, when I say long nails, I do not mean like an inch long. I just mean a few cm of nails grown out. I think it makes my fingers look better because I have short and stubby fingers that look even shorter when my nails are short. However, I will be cutting them soon. I have a nanny job coming up taking care of a new born and I don't want to accidentally scratch the baby with my nails.

19. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think long nails are just for people who don't do much at home. It's very difficult to manage and I find it rather dirty as well. Dirt goes underneath the nails so quickly and it's not that easy to clean as well. I think long nails is just for those who like to be fashionable all the time.

Also, sometimes, when it's way too long, it does not look classy anymore. It's looks like a cat's hand already and that's not nice at all.

20. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy a medium length nail but rarely paint them, the polish wears off too quickly! My daughter has nails that bend easily, what causes this? Her Aunt has the same problem, paper thin nails that bend easily!