Should 24hr supermarkets sell cigarettes 24 hours?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sarz • Apr 3, 2014.

1. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    Every time I've been in Walmart late at night, the check-out aisle that sells cigarettes is the only one open. Most gas stations around here close pretty early, too, so no option of buying cigarettes from them.

I think there's more to it for grocery stores than just whether or not there's enough demand for it. A store near me stopped selling them past 11PM because the cigarette counter was immediately when you walk in the door, and they'd had people try to rob them and take the cigarettes since it's not a heavily populated place. In some stores, the manager is the one who runs it (if it's coupled with the customer service desk) and chances are the manager might not be there that late.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never heard of this system before, but I certainly think they should sell everything for 24 hours if they are open for that long anyway. Unless it's a financial issue that may put their entire business in jeopardy, as ohiotom76 has pointed out, then I don't see why such a restriction should exist. I'd consider it to be more of a financially based restriction than a moral one, though, since I think it's a bit silly to sell everything else except this one thing and the only conclusion I would be able to come up with is a financial one.

3. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    The cigarette kiosk closes at night, but if you ask for them, they have them stored in a locked trolley near the checkouts. I only found this out by accident, when I popped into a 24hr Tesco for some items on my way home late one night. I was disappointed to see that the cigarette kiosk was closed, so I mentioned it to the cashier, and he went and unlocked the cigarette trolley for me. The only reason the kiosk is closed, is because the store isn't very busy at night time, so they have less staff.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Most 24 hour convenience stores still sell cigarettes along with everything else in it. It should not be an issue among round-the-clock stores since these tobacco products have a large market. The downside of buying from stores like 7-11, Lawson, and other convenience stores is the price. Most of their merchandise, especially tobacco and liquor are more expensive than those sold in regular supermarkets.
    But then again, each city or town has its own ordinance when it comes to certain products.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most 24 hour stores continue to sell cigarettes throughout the night, at least in the San Diego area. Alcohol sales stop at 2 AM here. There's no reason a store shouldn't sell tobacco products around the clock, despite the fact that they're so bad for our health.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a non-smoker I was not aware that cigarettes could not be purchased after a certain time. Is that a state or county law or is that nation wide. I see no reason to have a time limitation on cigarettes any earlier than purchasing alcohol. In my area we can not purchase hard alcohol on Sunday but we can purchase wine and beer.

7. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why not? Why don't they actually? I mean, it's not like people aren't going to smoke at night just because you're not selling them. They'll just make sure to have enough to last them a night.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about supermarkets in the UK as I don't frequent them after 8pm, but I know the petrol garages and 24-hour convenience stores sell cigarettes at all hours, I've seen people queuing at 4am in the morning to buy them. Maybe they don't have enough people wanting to buy them after 10pm to warrant putting a member of staff on the counter?

9. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    You're correct. They don't have the cigarette kiosk open during the night, because it's not worth having the extra member of staff. But they still sell cigarettes round the clock. You just have to ask the cashier, and they will get them for you.

10. mercantile519

mercantile519Member

Threads:
    Cigarettes have to be sold in a different part of most stores, and it isn't always feasible to have someone running that part 24 hours when that's all they'd be doing. There are convenience stores everywhere, you can get cigarettes there.

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of certain items being limited during certain hours, it doesn't make sense to me, if the store is open 24/7 then all the items should be as well.
    Although I've also heard of some places that can't sell liquor before noon too, very strange indeed.
    Are they not even available if you ask the clerk to get them?

12. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I knew that usually the cigarette areas were closed, though I do not smoke. However, at my Walmart only the self-check out isles are open. I remember my dad going to Walmart late a few times and had to ask one of the workers and she went back and got them. I think it is kind of wise, because people steal stuff like that and booze and I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially at night. Though I think if a customer asked that they should go get them.

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Depends, I don't think that they should have to, but if it costs them a lot more to staff the counter then I can see why they would close it.