Should all major stores bring layaway back?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • May 18, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    During these difficult times, the average Joe isn't spending as much money. For this reason, I am surprised more stores aren't bringing back layaway. K-mart did and I am sure this decision helped their bottom line. I think a lot of establishments would do better if they offered customers the same deal.

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    ...I thought all major stores did still have layaway? Though I know some places will only hold an item for a certain amount of time, like Penney's only hold an item for a day and but overnight. Layaway can be good, but it also sucks cause some one could put something on hold and leave it for months, and then freak out because it's gone when they try to buy it 6 months later. A lot of people don't realize that after a certain time, it has to go back out onto the sales floor. Also, people would put things in layaway and then never come back to buy them, so all the items are stuck in some random stock room, clogging it up, when it could be on the sales floor getting sold.

I do remember someone once bought a whole bag full of Ugly Doll merchandise, asked us to hold it in the store, and then never came back for it. After it was sitting in the register area for three weeks, we all just split the contents and took it home. One girl got a nice plush doll for her son, another got a sweet tote bag, and I got the lunch box and little glow figure. The person never even called about the merchandise for the rest of the summer either. /shrugs/ Their loss, our gain.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I think layaway is a great service offered by major stores. This especially comes in handy around holiday seasons such as Christmas. It allows you to pay a little by little until you have paid off the item. It would be good for business to allow this to continue. I know some stores in my neighborhood still use this service.

4. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I think that they absolutely should bring layaway back.. I think its a great way for stores to make money even when its a season where maybe people run out of money like after the holidays or after taxes.