Should Dogs Be Vaccinated Every Year?

Discussion in Pets started by littlewitch66 • Jan 20, 2018.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I notice that although vets will tell you that dogs need vaccinating against serious diseases every year, some people now think that every 3 years is enough as constant vaccination can destroy their own immunities. What do you think? Do you have your dog vaccinated every year?

2. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, dogs should be vaccinated as and at when due, if it's on yearly basis, I'm totally in support of it. If it's more than a year interval, I'm still going to be in support of it. My concern is for the safety of the dog and those it's living around. We all know deadly rebbies is should a dog with it bite someone accidentally? So therefore, it's paramour to have them well vaccinated always.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also read about the dangers of over-vaccinating , both for people and for pets. What a vaccination does is not to actually prevent the disease, it gives the dog or person a small dose of the attacking virus, and then the body’s own anti-viral system fight that off, thus building up strength in you immune system.
    If you have a very poor immune system, then you (or your dog) need the booster shot to get the immune system working better; but when the dog is healthy and has a strong immune system, then there is no need for extra vaccinations.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    No, actually we don't have our dogs vaccinated every year, they haven't been vaccinated since they had the 5 in 1 and other shots when they were young, and they seem to be ok. I think yearly vaccinations isn't really a requirement.

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    The immunization shots for a dog cover diseases that the dog's immunity can't reasonably overcome on its own. I would rather have my dog immunized yearly than take a risk with those potentially fatal diseases. Leptospirosis and rabies are just two of the most common afflictions that can lead to death. Giving them their regular dose of immunization can boost their resistance and is much cheaper than having them treated for those diseases.

#5Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. littlewitch66

Threads:
    Thankfully rabies has been eradicated from the UK now. It's rare to hear of a case here in dogs although there is a strain which can be carried by bats so people are warned to be very careful if handling them. There are other potentially dangerous diseases that dogs can catch. Several of my rescue dogs had kennel cough when they came to me and although this can be treated and is not usually fatal it is very unpleasant for the poor dog.

7. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good thing to hear that rabies have already been eradicated from the United Kingdom, but that's not the case with Nigeria. We still have several cases here and it's getting worrisome because I would say that some dog owners here don't actually know how to take care of their pets. A simple thing as vaccination is very hard for some to take their dogs for, not to talk more of feeding the animals well. Here people abuse animals, and it really disgust me so much.

8. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Martinsx@Martinsx It's very sad to hear that some owners treat their dogs badly. Britain is supposed to be a nation of animal lovers but we still get people who abuse their cats and dogs. I don't understand the mentality of someone who can hurt a defenceless animal .. some of the horrible things I read make me cry. I suppose if you don't care about your pet you wouldn't want to spend money vaccinating them but I'm sure there are people who love their pets in Nigeria too.

9. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it's worrying what some pet owners do to them, which keeps me wondering why get the pet when you're aware that it won't be possible for you to care for them completely and always? But, although there are some crazy pet owners, there are those who do care extremely well for their own pets. Nigerians are more dog lovers than cats.

10. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah dogs should be vaccinated on yearly basis.