Should I buy an Ipad instead of a Laptop or vice versa?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by applemango123 • Sep 22, 2012.

1. applemango123

applemango123New Member

Threads:
    I am currently deciding whether or not to buy an Ipad or a laptop because at the moment I own a very old PC which is Windows XP! So it runs very slow and I can't get some of the newer programs to work on it. So I decided I was either going to invest in an Ipad or a laptop but not both. I wondered if people could discuss the benefits of each one but also the drawbacks to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks
    ;)

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    An iPad is not a computer so if you want a computer then buy a laptop. An iPad is a fancy tablet for running apps, going on the net and for media like music and movies.

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. Two things are different. You cannot compare a laptop from IPad because they have different functions. If you are complaining about your old PC because it could not open newer programs of windows, then buy a laptop because for sure IPad could not open programs by microsoft. IPad is more for entertainment and browsing while a laptop is for everything. Obviously it is more powerful though IPad is more portable. Just ask yourself what you really need.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, they're different.

You may actually just want to spend a much smaller amount and get a Windows upgrade instead for now. I like Windows XP personally, but if your computer has slowed down and you're not happy with what you have, then wiping it clean and adding a new OS might make you happier for now.

5. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    It really depends on what you need it for. I have both and use them for different things. If you just want to check your email and surf the net then an Ipad is fine. I use mine for those reasons and a few others. However, I use my laptop for all my "important" stuff. I can't type very well on an Ipad so I use my computer for all my documents and spread sheets.

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    An iPad, just like any other tablet, will need a computer at some point to function so it won't be a end all, be all solution for you. The laptop is going to be a lot more versatile and can be used as a desktop replacement but an iPad cannot do that.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what your goals are. I see an iPad or any tablet for that matter, as an entertainment device. Microsoft will be releasing its tablet, Surface Tablet. It looks like it will make tablets more productive. Time will tell.

I have a laptop that still runs on Windows XP. I love it. My friends keep bugging me to upgrade,but it works for me.

8. cheesecake

cheesecakeMember

Threads:
    If you are having problems running PC applications, an ipad will not help you with that. An ipad does not have the same applications as a computer. An ipad is great for casual note taking, movie watching and game playing. A computer should be used for work. If I were you, I would just get the computer. It is a lot more versatile and I think it will make you less frustrated with compatibility issues.

9. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd go for the laptop, because it's portable, and it can do so much more than a tablet. They're much lighter than they used to be, so you can easily take it everywhere with you, as well as being able to work on it, store all your documents and run a wide variety of software. If you buy the best laptop you can afford, it will last you for many years.

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    A laptop is superior to the iPad or any other tablet. A laptop will last you a lot longer and perform all of your necessary needs. A tablet can perform only so much. For the best bang for your buck, a Dell laptop will be the best. Good luck!

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Are you trying to go mobile? Because if what you want is a new computer, it'd be much cheaper to get a new desktop. A nice, new desktop is something like 300 and adding on the ducets gets you a progressive better product. A nice laptop is generally a lot more and a tablet is just as expensive yet both tend to perform less well then a desktop of the same price.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would go with a laptop for two main reasons: 1. You can do so much more with a laptop! Do you have a touch screen phone? Imagine how long it would take you to shoot an email on your ipad vs typing it up with a keyboard! and 2. Your screen is protected with a laptop so you get more life out of your laptop because it is more durable.

13. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    if you wanna run programs taht are more sophisticated and want to save the file, go for PC or laptop instead. I do have an iPad myself and its a lot more better to use PC or laptop than the tablet. unless you just want to surf the web and lay around.

14. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I guess a laptop and an iPad are too very different devices and one cannot replace the other in terms of function. the iPad is more of a lifestyle device whereas the laptop can function as both that and also a tool for work. It really depends on what you are planning to be doing with your device. If you need it for work such as typing reports, doing research and am going to spend a lot of time browsing the net for information, you should go with a laptop. In terms of games, if you are just looking to entertain yourself on the go, the iPad would do you good. But if you're interested in games with intense graphics and sounds, an iPad would not be able to support such games since they only support apps. Music and video streaming wise, both devices are equally capable with one being more portable than the other so perhaps you should take all these factors into consideration.

15. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    If you are looking to replace your PC,then it is a laptop that you should be looking at, not an Ipad, unles, of course, you want to go in for another PC with better specs.

16. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    An iPad is not a computer so if you need optimal functionality I would suggest buying the Laptop. The Laptop would allow you more storage to download and store the files you need on it.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're just a simple pc user and you only intend to use your tablet for music and internet browsing, then go ahead and purchase an iPad. But if you intend to run "heavy applications", then I would suggest buying a laptop instead, because you can only do limited things if you use a tablet.

18. Shamarv8

Shamarv8Member

Threads:
    A laptop without question. Replacing a computer with a tablet is never a good idea. Though tablets have come a long way, they still pale in comparison to computers. An Ipad, or any tablet for that matter is incapable of handling or completing the tasks that a computer does on a daily basis. If you are looking for something to handle light day to day task such as checking emails, playing mobile games, browsing the internet, etc... I would suggest getting an Ipad because you would clearly not need to do anything heavy. If you are replacing a computer that you used on a daily basis and need computing power, I would suggest getting a laptop. In conclusion, the choice depends on what it is that you are looking to get out of a technology device. To make it simple, do you want roller skates or a car?

19. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    Get a laptop for sure. A laptop can do what almost everything an iPad can, along with more versatility and features. If you really just do basic tasks like checking email, social networking, etc., then buy an iPad or other tablet (I would recommend the Nexus 7). Because you mentioned the "newer programs" I am assuming that you want to run some newer programs, which are most likely performance intensive. An iPad or other tablet couldn't run those kinds of programs without crashing, as the tablets today have about the same power as laptops in 2007. iPad and other tablets also will need a computer once in awhile, whether it is to back up data, restore it to factory settings, or to sync data, which means tablets cannot replace a computer entirely.

20. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's better to buy a Laptop because an IPad won't work like a laptop would. It's better to choose laptop.