Should I stop buying my fiancee gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by andrew320 • Jul 5, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Every dress I buy my fiancee is either too small or too big. If we try to exchange it, the item or size is gone. It seems like every store is different.

Should I bother anymore and just get her gift cards? Bah!

2. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Certain items are a bloody nightmare to buy a girlfriend, I know exactly where you're coming from. I ended up just giving her the cash in her hand and seeing the beam on her face made me realise I never had to shop for her ever again, when it came to buying clothes, anyway. Anything else is easy to shop for, but when it comes to clothes I'd rather hand her the cash and let her run around the town like the tasmanian devil, while I chill out in a coffee shop and wait for her.:)

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well I would definitely stop buying her dresses! If you really want to go that route, then go with her as a shopping trip instead of trying to pick something out in the right size on your own. That's hard to do for anyone because you really need to try them on to get a good fit, and I'm sure it's frustrating trying to return them.

4. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't stop getting her gifts, just stop with the clothing. I hate when people buy me clothes anyway.

Gift cards are my favorite, but some people see them as impersonal. Maybe a gift card with a little added bonus like flowers or a little something she wants for her house or something would be a good gift.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am with Jessi on this one.
    Go with her! Make a day out of it. Have lunch together and then go shopping. Both of you could try things on and take turns modeling the clothes. I think it could be a really fun day for both of you!

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, if this is what you consider a problem, you should consider yourself very lucky.

7. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Gift cards or just buy her something that is not clothes ;)
    Or go shopping with her. I know it's boring for most men, but I think if you go together once in a while it itself would be sort of a present for her ;)

8. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    As long as she is the right fit for you...I do not think you should ever stop buying her gifts. Perhaps just stop buying her clothing. A gift card to a great lingerie shop should make both of you happy. (-: Just adapt...I am sure it will be all good.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, it might be tough to go shopping with her if he doesn't like shopping... and I don't know not one single man who does.

What if instead of buying her gifts, you spent the money on an experience, like taking her to a show or out to dinner or on a carriage ride or something? Let her pick the activity; that way you'll know it's right.

10. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Jessi about taking her out shopping. You can make it a nice day, she can try on what she likes and knows that it fits. Maybe you can both go out to lunch and just enjoy the day. I am sure that will be a nice present for many girls! Also once you got her the dress she likes and picked out, you can surprise her if you feel bad that she knows what you got her. If you choose to add to it, go shopping after your day out with her and pick out a nice necklace or earrings that are the same color as the dress. Not saying that she has to have a special present, but this is if you feel guilty not surprising her :)

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd agree with the others here - just don't buy her clothes unless you go along with her. If you want to surprise her, a nice bunch of flowers is always acceptable, and you don't have to worry about sizes. All you need is the right sized vase. Another gift idea is a subscription to her favourite magazine - that's a gift that's renewed every month. Don't buy things for the home, though - most women would never consider that to be an acceptable gift.

12. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I think a gift is such a sign sign of love coming from your heart. A women loves to have a gift to open from their boyfriend/partner/spouse. So, what I would do it stop buying the dresses, buy her flowers, jewelry, personalized nicknacks, and give her the gift card as well. I think a gift card alone is thoughtful, but something else coming from your heart is so thoughtful. Even a nicknack that says I love you on it. :)

13. summerRain

summerRainMember

Threads:
    My fiance also have the same problem but even if the dress does not fit me, I appreciate the effort.. If I am your fiancee, I prefer to receive oversized/undersized clothes than getting a gift card.. It's the thought that counts.. ;)

14. Spongecake

SpongecakeNew Member

Threads:
    I think the fact that you're buying her a personalized gift as opposed to a giftcard actually says a lot about how much you care for her. To avoid this issue in the future, first make sure that the item you're buying is returnable/exchangeable, and that they have more in stock. Ask the clerks if you're uncertain. Additionally, make sure that you're not shopping too far in advance. If you buy her a dress in June for her birthday in September, you're going to be out of luck.

You could also try buying personal gifts that don't rely on size.

15. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Well that's nice to spoil your fiance with gifts. I'm sure she appreciates your thoughfulness to pick out a dress but to be on the safe side, just get her a gift card to her favorite store.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Jessi had the best advice. It's best to make a day of it. Dress sizes are not standard. They can vary from designer to designer. Also the fabric and cut also influence dress size.

17. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think you should stop buying her gifts. What you should do is take her shopping or buy something you know will fit. Jewelry is always a great idea. Clothing sizes for women varies, a size four at one store maybe a 2 or a 6 at another store.

18. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    Honestly, just go shopping together.

It's easier to bring your girlfriend and tell her that you are shopping for a gift, than buying something that doesn't fit. Its even better than the gift card because you actually spend time together. Unless, of course, that's not your thing.

19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Sure, please stop buying gifts for your fiancee unless she is with you. You may not even know what she likes and she may say yes she likes it, just because you bought it for her, but the nice thing to do would be to take her with you and let her pick her own gift and you all will be lovingly holding hands walking together and enjoying each others company.

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    While on the one hand, you're right that it's the thought that counts, on the other hand, ill fitting clothing has very little usefulness, and will probably just languish in the back of a closet.