Should I Upgrade My iPhone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by SEA81 • Apr 23, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I have an iPhone 3G and am planning to get a new one next month. I can't decide if I should go with the 4G or 4S. Is there that much of a difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each? Thanks!

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I just got one on Friday and I have no idea which Iphone 4 I even have...lol. I'm pathetic.

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    The difference is really just small details in the OS. For example - the 4G comes with Siri as well as the 4GS but the camera on the 4GS has a bit better pixelation and resolution. The actual OS runs smoother on the 4GS than the 4G. Just small things. If you are upgrading from a 3 then you can really go either way and you will be pleased. If you are looking for a bargain though shoot for the 4G

4. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I have to correct you, Mrs. Pirz, on the part about Siri as it is only avaialble on the 4S. The speed improvement on the 4S is only noticeable if you're the type who likes to really use all of the iPhone's tweaks via jailbreaking and multitasking. Coming from a 3G though, you'll definitely feel the speed improvement even if you're only going for the iPhone 4. Think of it like this, iPhone 4 is the main plan and if you want to get some extra features(Siri, better camera, faster processor) for a couple more bucks, you can get the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4 is more than enough though and in my opinion, 4S just offers some vanity options.

5. Stitches

StitchesNew Member

Threads:
    Considering the $$$ difference between 4 and 4S is huge, I'd go for the 4 and save some cash. The biggest difference is Siri, which I believe is a near useless "feature" and is more of a "hey look I can do this" instead of a useful function that people use. No one I know actually uses Siri except when they are trying to be funny and use it to do or say something stupid. The camera and processor on the 4 is more than good enough (especially coming from a 3G).

6. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree with this. I've never used an iPhone, but I have the "Siri" equivalent on my Android smartphone. I never, ever use it. I definitely would not pay extra money for it. Honestly, I would love to have an iPhone, and will definitely remember this advice if I decide to get one.

7. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Uh just a quick reminder.
    The G behind the number stands for the Network.
    So there is no such thing as iPhone 4G. There is just iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S...they are pretty much the same in my opinion both operate on OS 5.

8. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    No, that so sounds like something I'd do! Do you like it?

9. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice! It seems like everyone I know who uses the Siri feature only does so to make fun of it. I didn't realize there was such a price difference.

Is there that much difference in the battery life? That's my main complaint about my current phone.

10. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    No, you shouldn't upgrade your iPhone. The battery life is terrible compared to the other models. I have to admit, Siri is an excellent tool. On the other hand, you can always jailbreak your current iPhone and get Siri.

11. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Paying that price difference for Siri is utterly useless. It's a shambolic purchase, IMO.

I would look into buying the cheaper version and going with that. There really is minimal use for Siri, I don't think people really use it. Sure, there are situations where it came be handy, but for that price difference, I would stay away.

There are subtle speed differences in the two models, but nothing substantial.

12. Zamora91

Zamora91Member

Threads:
    The price difference isn't only for Siri. The iPhone 4s is a little faster than the iPhone 4 as it has an A5 processor. Either one will do. If you desperately want Siri, you can always jailbreak your iPhone 4 and research on how to get it working with Spire.

13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I'd hold out on the money till the iPhone 5 comes out. Apple has a tenancy to update/upgrade their products every couple months to a year or so. Since the iPhone 4S has been out for a couple months now, and Apple plans to unveil future products this summer, I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet.

14. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet, because the rumors of the Iphone 5 are getting stronger these days specially that summer closes quickly which tends to be the release months of Apple. The difference of the 4 and 4s are very minimal,yes the 4s offers a better chip but barely noticeable on naked eye,most users wouldn't actually notice the difference. The performance increase can only be noted bluntly on benchmark scores. Other than that milliseconds of quicker response can be seen.

15. Markeeze2

Markeeze2New Member

Threads:
    If you're going to upgrade from a 3G you might as well go for the 4S. Actually now that I think about it I'd wait until like September because thats usually when the new iPhones come out and you can either upgrade to the 4S which will be cheaper or get the newest one.