Should I upgrade to Windows 8?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by almari_011 • Dec 8, 2012.

1. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I've been with Windows 7 for over a year now and it's a really good OS but since there's a discount on Windows 8 pro should I go upgrade my laptop? Is Windows 8 good enough? I've heard the UI is for touch screens so my laptop isn't touch screen it it still good enough to function? :)

2. techbeast34

techbeast34Member

Threads:
    If you happen to have notice a decrease in performance on your computer, or performance is poor, I would recommend switching to Windows 8. It's very light and fast, so you will notice a HUGE increase in performance. Applications will start quicker and run a lot smoother. The Windows 8 Start Screen (The tiles and such) is only optional. You can click on the "Desktop" tile to access the Windows Desktop, and from there you can use Windows 8 like you would use Windows 7, except without a start menu.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    techbeast34 hit the nail in the head, it's been reported that PCs running Windows 8 rather than Windows 7 have a better performance. If I were you, though, and weren't having any problems with a laptop, I wouldn't upgrade. For these things, I usually go for if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. You should not get something just because it's new. Windows 8 has some better features than older versions of Windows but I don't think that's enough to warrant a purchase. If you get a new laptop or desktop PC, definitely go for Windows 8. If not, maybe it's still better to stick to your old operating system.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have played with a few computers with Windows 8 installed. It is incredibly fast. I was really impressed with it. I wouldn't update my current laptop because Windows 8 is really made for a mobile environment. It's great on a tablet or a computer with a touch screen. I'm going to wait and get Windows 8 on a tablet. Now, which tablet? ;)

6. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I'm I the odd one out here. I still use windows XP though I was informed by the Microsoft to upgrade to Window 7 since I wouldn't be receiving any updates on my XP soon. I haven't used Window 8 though I've read about it a lot thus I can conclude that it is good and you should upgrade. I believe in using the OS your computer can run comfortably though!

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still use Windows XP on my main computer and my backup. I love Windows XP. I am putting off upgrading it for as long as possible. I think Microsoft will stop upgrading Windows XP next year. It will be a sad day.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But you can still use your Windows XP OS even when Windows has stopped releasing updates for it right? I use Windows Vista and I have turned automatic updates off because they are full of bugs, so I don't think that updates are necessary for your pc to run safely. You just need a good anti virus to protect your pc.

9. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    It depends on what you are using your computer for. If you are using it to surf the internet, check livescores a.k.a generally for fun, then you wouldn't notice any big difference, really. If you're using it to work and the productivity aspect is important to you, then I suggest you stick to Windows 7, as upgrading to Windows 8 will mess your whole work. :)

10. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I still use Windows 7. And I have the XP option added onto it as well. Windows 8 deviates too far from the normal Windows platform. I don't like it. Not to mention it still has bugs.

11. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Personal opinion for the little that i have tried.
    No, i don't think you should. It's still new and has a lot of issues, so you either can wait for the next Microsoft OS, or you can get Windows 8 in about 1 or 2 years down the road.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried Windows 8 on a tablet, it was really quick and light. It is great on a touch screen device. I also go with the if it's not broken don't fix it rule.

13. Danblu

DanbluMember

Threads:
    As a computer science student I say, don't do it yet! Not only because it's fairly new and there are still unresolved compatibility issues here and there with older applications but also you're going to miss some things without a touch screen. Windows 8 is nice, it's fast and clean and overall is an improvement over 7 but if you wait a little while more, maybe until they get the first service pack out for the public! You're just missing on the touch and visual change, although it's a good part of windows 8, it's not a big issue!

#13Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013