Should You Loan Money To Friends?

Discussion in Loans started by Real Money • Apr 14, 2012.

1. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed. If it's a close friend in need, I would do the same. Just give him the money to help him out. Actually lending money to someone would be a good way to get rid of that someone. Especially if that someone is a discomfort in the posterior.

2. angeldrb

angeldrbNew Member

Threads:
    I loan money to some of my close and trusted friends. They always pay me back, thankfully. Sometimes, I also borrow from them - I set a deadline and strictly pay them back on the said date. Maybe that's why we have a good relationship: no one seems to take advantage of one's helpfulness.

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    You can lose a friendship over this only if you are not honest. Personally I think if it is an extreme emergency you can help if you have the means for it but most of the time its not wise to lend friends money. A person can take advantage easily in this situation or say they will pay you back when they truly have no intentions of doing so. This is where honesty comes into play. If they tell you what they really need it for then you can make a more informed decision and come up with a repayment plan if its a sum you need back but most people don't really tell yoy what the money is needed and hence you don't get paid back like you should. In the end - its better to say no.

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have borrowed money to friends in the past and vice versa...especially while we were partying, traveling and studying etc. In every case, the money was returned. It must, however, only be done when you have a close bond of trust and respect - and also knowing that you may never see it again. In every case, I did though.

The only time I will not borrow or simply give a friend money is when I suspect that it is for some unhealthy activity like alcohol, drugs or gambling. My main concern would be our health and well-being.

5. Renzaku

RenzakuNew Member

Threads:
    I never loan friends a large sum of cash, unless if they are incredibly close to my family and myself (and desperately need the money).
    I never borrow money from friends either. I usually just borrow money from family. I don't know why, I just have a fear of well, losing
    a close friend in the process (so I try to avoid doing this).

6. FlyingTomatoes

FlyingTomatoesNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not really comfortable with the idea. I don't lend money - like when it's money for the food, then let it stick to that, okay? I would rather go out there and help out the friend pull him/herself back together in his old habit/job although there would always be lending money (although I'm not expecting him/her to pay me back but if he/she insists, I wouldn't hold back as long as he/she's financially secured again so he/she wouldn't feel uncomfortable either), so he/she wouldn't have to get involved in something new. There were just cases when I realized that it's better to stick in the habits, rather than try out something else. It's just with me, I suppose. At least, it minimizes the risk. :p

7. alinass

alinassMember

Threads:
    It depends from the amount. If it's small amount I will give money to a close friend or family but If it's just a person that I know or very distant cousin, I won't give the money! I have this friend that had friend who used her name for a warranty for loan from a bank but then this person disappeared and now my friend have to pay the loan! This is similar to giving money to someone!

8. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    No I would never loan money to a friend. There are some cases where I would but it would take a lot of convincing. I've loaned too much money that I never got back.

9. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    I always give money to my friends who ask me to, although I am far from wealthy, rather poor I would say. Only one has given me the money back, but still I prefer helping people out when in need and hope for the best.

10. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    NO! I would never loan money to a friend. EVER. I have had one bad experience in the past and all it takes is one to know that even your friends can't be trusted. I only have one friend that I truly trust and he is the ONLY person that I would lend money to. He has paid me back every single time and I have borrowed off him and payed him back. He is the only person that I would loan money to. I would say he is more of a brother to me than a friend.

11. alexis712

alexis712New Member

Threads:
    I think this depends on how much money you can spare to lose. I've lent small amounts to close friends and family before, and thankfully, they've always paid me back. But there was this one time when an officemate of mine borrowed quite a substantial amount, saying that she needed it for an emergency- her kid's in a hospital, I think, and she's a single mom. I loaned her the money and she made a written promise to pay it on a particular date. It's almost two years now and she never fulfilled her promise. But I never took it against her, it was for her kid anyway.
    It just pains me to see her walking around the office with new gadgets and clothes, but when I come around to asking her if she can pay me back, she just shrugs me off and gives me this look like I'm the bad guy or something. :(

12. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have loaned them lunch money and that before. However, if it is anywhere close to a hundred bucks I do not loan that much. I just cannot do this because it is to risky for me on a fixed income.

13. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I have always been told if you loan money to friends or family, you should just give it to them. Waiting for them to give it back is just useless. Don't give out what you can't afford to lose. It only makes more arguments and drama. You see all the court shows about money that has not been paid back. It can get pretty nasty.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have *loaned* money to my few closest friends. In my mind, it was more of a gift. I don't plan on getting the money back. This way I don't get upset if I'm not repaid.

15. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    No.
    Sorry when you get older you have to depend on yourself.
    No other ways to go about it. I've seen people get in really bad fights over money. Well
    the simplest way to avoid that is just to not loan out anything.

16. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    This is one of those things that can really test a friendship. You don't want to say no because it's a friend. But at the same time, if the person isn't responsible you don't want to say yes because you may get abused.

17. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    They that you shouldn't, but I have loaned money out and as long as I'm not disrespected or abused, then it's not a problem for me. All I ask for is honesty in the situation. If you can't pay me when you say you could, let me know. If you have to borrow more, don't lie about what it is for and make it more tragic than it actually is. If I can loan it, I'll loan it.

18. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have but 3 rules for this sort of situation:

1.) Nothing over 150 dollars will ever leave my hands.
    2.) Only people who have a job or some sort of income are eligible for loans, otherwise it's a gift and I don't know most people well enough to give them anything.
    3.) I never double up. This goes back to the first rule - if I have loaned you 50, then generally you won't see another 50 out of me until you pay me back. If I gave you 50 then you've got another 100 on tab before I cut you off.

19. afterhours

afterhoursNew Member

Threads:
    If a close friend for a smaller amount (less than $200), I'd definitely loan a friend some money.

20. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    Will definitely loan money to friends, good friends. Will even give them money.
    If you do not loan to friends, who would you loan to ? Family ? Is it a safer/better choice ?
    I am just thinking that friends and family are the ones to support you when you need it. So should I ...