Should You Spend A Lot In Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Ani_m • Jul 15, 2017.

1. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    A lot of people around me seem to think that paying $40 to $50 for a shirt or blouse is not too much. But I find that price a bit high, especially when the quality doesn't seem great or it's a very simple piece of clothing. I also notice people like to go for only brand clothes, I honestly don't think it's worth to spend that much on everyday clothing. It's ok to spend on something special, but for simple things, you can save so much. What do you think, should you spend so much money on clothes?

2. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what the clothes are going to be used for. Spending $40 or more on a shirt that is meant for corporate functions in my calculation is fine and doesn't amount to spending too much on clothes. Casuals wears and just home wears are the sort of clothes I like spending very little buying them. When trying to be economical with spending on clothes then a good mix of expensive and cheap clothes will be okay. Sometimes it's more dignifying to appear in rich wears at functions especially ones held in a long while.

#2Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I normally do not spend that much on a shirt unless it is for a nice function. I do spend a lot on my shoes though because I do not like wearing them for 3 months and they start to fall apart. I invest in good sneakers and leather shoes and they typically last me for at least a couple of years. I have a pair of nice leather summer sandals that I paid about $80 for and they are almost 10 years old now and still look good. If it goes on your feet, it is worth paying for quality.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No, simple as that! :D I find this a waste of money. In fact, I find a waste of money the excess in everything that is not really necessary to have. ;)

5. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    How much you spend on clothes differs from individual to individual and this is based on a number of factors. How much they earn or can afford to splurge on clothes and also the work environment. Someone who works in an informal setting might not see the need to spend a lot on clothes, as opposed to someone who works in a corporate formal environment. Let me use myself as an example. I used to work in a corporate environment where I was required to dress formally. I would buy shirts for $50 a piece without thinking about it. But a change in circumstances meant I no longer needed to make such purchases. I work now in casual clothing and what seemed fine previously I view as extravagant :)

6. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't spend so much on clothes. $40 in my country would be more than 2,400.00, which I would definitely not spend on a shirt. For special occasion, yes, but not for regular use.

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I would not spend so much money on clothes only. I know there are people who buy only branded stuff and spend a lot of money on clothes without thinking too much. For such people, their attempt is mostly on building their own image and to want to show off that they are on to good things in life! Whereas I personally like to focus more on comfort and simplicity than on branded imagery, so cheaper clothes work just fine for me, although I invest in expensive silk sarees occasionally which I wear on special occasions and festivals.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what your income is and what you like. If you can afford expensive clothes then why not? Many people do this to wear a brand more than anything else, but with huge discount stores you can find high end brands at reasonable prices especially in outlet places. This encourages designer brands to have an outlet there so they can cash in on those who like a bargain.

I like a mixture of cheap basics with good quality and more expensive shoes and coats as you need those items to last longer. I bought some cheap leggings once and they lasted three days so I won't do that again.

9. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    Spending more on clothes is a waste of money, again it depends upon need. But I will advice whenever you go shopping try to purchase it from a wholesale market or use discount voucher so that you don't spend a lot.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like spending so much on clothes as I don't find it necessary. There are occasions when I am looking for a nice party dress which I can find at a nice boutique but it can sure be pricey so I go to stores where there are discounts where I find a similar dress for much less. Their qualities are the same but the brand it's what makes a difference in prices. I don't mind the brand as long as it's good quality and cheaper.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few set of business suits that are worth $50+ and I don't mind spending for them because I consider them as career essentials. The corporate guys spend way more than this amount. I'll definitely not buy t-shirts or blouses at the same price for home use or even for casual wear. I don't mind wearing generic brands at all The price difference between a branded shirt and a low key brand can be used to buy things that can bring more pleasure.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @anupamas2@anupamas2 you are right to certain extent but there are all kind of people in the world. For some $50-60 is too much while some of them think it's not enough for a shirt or a trouser besides when we talk in dollar terms it's not a big amount but it's equal to INR 300-400 purchase power in our country ($10-15). Even in our own country you will easily find shirts worth $200 or more in good shops or brand stores. Actually, some people buy the clothes according to their own financial capacity and we also have lots of them in our country who spend big amounts on clothes. You might call it wastage of money but that's the reality.

13. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I used to spend a lot of money on clothes but I don't now. I tend to find that I have my favourite outfits which I wear more often than anything else in my wardrobe.

Even when I do buy clothes I don't go for the most expensive stuff, I will go for middle of the range prices and I've had some really good quality stuff that I found in charity shops.

14. Merissa

MerissaNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on a lot of factors, people who buy expensive clothes have their reasons. The clothes bought might be their taste, they might enjoy the fit or material of it and that persuades them to purchase it no matter the price. Another factor might be because its trendy, if the brand they are purchasing from is quite popular and everyone is wearing it, then they are likely to purchase it, that simple fact can be the reason. Their job as well may require them to wear fancy clothing.It really depends on the person and how they live their lifestyle. Personally if the brand name clothes are a good material and have a quality feel to it and fits me well, I'll buy it, though once in a while. I normally settle for clothes with normal pricing.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with @Merissa@Merissa, I know some people who choose to buy expensive and branded clothes because of the shirts quality, not because it's the trend. On the other hand, I myself don't like spending a lot of money on clothes, as long as I like the fabric, the design and I'm comfortable with it then I'll go for it. Even if it's for corporate stuff or events, there are tons of beautiful clothes that I can get without spending a lot.

16. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I think $40 a big deal in terms of foreign exchange. I always try to spend optimal amount of money when it comes to buying clothes. If it is for a special occasion then I will prefer to but a little costlier than the usual. Otherwise for daily use I never but seeing the brands but only the cost and quality.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well my first thought was "why" and so that probably sums up my attitude and tells you my thoughts. I have never really cared too much for fashion. I think I am bound to spend a certain amount to maintain a good look, but nothing more.

18. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    I don't like spending my time searching for clothes. I only do it when I really need it, and buy the stuff I really need then. I don't think it is something that we should spend a lot of money onto, since it is an elementary need, like water or food. And besides, I've found most of the cheaper stuff from clothes better than the expensive ones.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the person that you're asking. If the person has lots of money to spare, then they will see nothing wrong with buying expensive clothes. But if the person doesn't have a lot of money, then you know they will look for bargains and 2nd hand clothes to be able to save money.

20. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Some people just used to buy stuffs related specific branding. So when brand is related and that also if it is popular then it will cost lot more. Personally I don't used to spend that much on clothes as I can find many good in low budget too. I am not kind of guy who just go behind branding. I am okay with normal branding too. I just take care of quality. And we can find that in low budget too.