Shower curtain

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Sep 16, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went to my parent's place the other day and I noticed they are still using the same shower curtain they had 15 years ago when I was living there and I thought, how is this possible? I change mine every couple of year! How's it with you, how often do you change it?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I change mine every three months or so. My bathroom is the one of the many places where I can actually relax, so I enjoy buying new things for it. I like replacing shower curtains because I like seeing new things. I sometimes binge-buy shower curtains when they are on sale.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    An alternative to shower curtains are shower enclosures. It's a bit expensive to install but I think it's cheaper in the long run as you don't have to buy shower curtains every so often. It looks more elegant too especially those with frosted glass designs. :D

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same as you...probably on average once a year, occasionally a little more often than that if I find a good price or really feel the need to. I definitely wouldn't keep it for much longer, but it does seem like parents and grandparents hold onto the same style for longer than we would think to a lot of the time, doesn't it?

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    You may be surprised to learn that I don't even have one. I am the only person living here though so it's not really an issue. However changing it every few years does seem a bit frequent, I don't see why it couldn't last 5 years or more.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I use to have plastic types of shower curtains, and I had to change that out every so often. But this last one I have now was a gift. Its made mostly of nylon and it is strong. You can take it off and throw it in the washing machine. That's the secret. Nylon shower curtains.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I change/wash my shower curtain liner once a month. I switch my shower curtains out depending on the season, but I never get rid of them just store it for the next time I use it. I think as long as you take care of your shower curtain you can have it for quite some time.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly, so the question here is, how do they manage to do it? Do they have some really old curtains that were made from a better material? Because mine is made of some sort of plastic and even if I make an effort it will not last more than one year or two...

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I change my shower curtains once yearly unless accidental damages occur such as scratches made by my cats. I just buy the plain ones in solid light colors, often beige, white, or light yellow. I buy a few during department store sale events and often, the cheaper ones get left behind. I don't mind as long as these are plain and the materials are not too thin or cheap-looking. Sometimes, the shower curtains get mildew stains especially during the 6-month rainy season. Replacement will have to be done if mildew stains are noticeable even after several washings.

10. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    It's always better to invest a little bit more into the shower curtains if you want them to last. I used to use the plastic ones and would go through them every few months like you say, but since moving to fabric we've had this one for a couple of years already. I honestly think that the rod or clips are going to be worn out before the curtain!

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now, this must be the secret I agree, now that you mention it I feel that at my parents place their shower curtain is made from some different fabric, far from plastic, so I think I am going to take a look into those the next time I buy a shower curtain.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I change my shower curtain every couple of years, it's around the time it starts getting noticeably dirty, with these weird brown spots due to mold I think.
    I might consider changing into a fabric one next instead of plastic if you say it lasts longer, but the plastic ones are just so easy to clean!

13. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    The fabric ones are incredibly easy to clean! You can simply throw them in the wash, and they'll last you so much longer than a plastic curtain it's absurd. Also you don't have to worry about them sticking to you or each other, it's really a better system all around.

14. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of older people who still are using their same shower curtain. I have to change mine every few months because I have a habit of changing the style in my bathroom. It is a must that my shower curtain matches my bathroom at all times.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, from reading this thread I've realized that and the next time I get a shower curtain I will invest in a fabric one. I think the quality is way superior and in the long run we end up saving money, not to mention the time to go to the shop and buy a new one.

16. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't change them that often, once per year maybe? No longer than that tho', they tend to get dirty or holes start to appear - and it's not like you're spending a fortune getting a replacement. You can also have fun with them as there are plenty of crazy designs out there. Check out this one:

Attached Files:

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    We wash out shower curtain with oxyclean every week, so we will be keeping it until it starts falling apart and is no longer functional. Plastic ones are very hard to clean though and they get yucky after a while. If I didn't have this nice washable one I would have to change it out every so often because there is no way to wash a plastic one well without damaging it.

18. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I change mine every few months or so just because it seems to get dirty and not to mention, I just enjoy the change, and I don't now about anyone else, but I also like the way a new shower curtain smells! It just smells nice and clean.

19. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Two reasons for me to possibly change a shower curtain: what type of material the shower curtain is made of so I can see if I can wash it or not, and what type of physical condition currently is.

Many shower curtains these days that are sold at most stores, generally tends to be thin and cheap plastic material, that can easily be torn and worn away. If I see my shower curtains start falling apart, ripped, and harden, I'll replace immediately. Thick and long lasting ones are hard to find or way too expensive.

Also, when my shower curtains are stained beyond being washable or have mold appearing from the bottom, I get rid of it; molds are a no no to keep around, because that causes a lot of respiratory health problems and can spread to infect other moist areas in one's bathroom or elsewhere.

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    They might have been using the same shower curtain as when you were 15 years old, but they might not have been using it continuously. Maybe they have a lot of it, and it just happened that the one that you spotted they were using was the one you remember when you were 15 years old. If you really take care of the things, they will last and perform their function well.