Showering Together

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Sunflogun • Oct 16, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    This is not something new, but it does help save water. Usually I don't do it that often with the wife (just sometimes), but with my small kids quite often and that usually works as something that saves both time and water. What about you?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never shower with anybody, just because it would be awkward, given the people that I live with in my household and the relationships that I have with them lol. Mind you, even if I lived with my sister who I am exceptionally close to, I doubt that I'd be showering with her either. I like my privacy when washing myself, and so does everyone else in this house. The kids don't really get a choice though. To save time, more than water, in the mornings when they are getting ready for school, they will often bathe together.

3. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I still live with parent and siblings so no I will not shower with them to save water or money. When my siblings were younger I think they took baths together but they are not babies anymore and even different genders. I like to have my privacy and don't want someone hogging the small amount of space in the shower. Besides, wouldn't having someone in the shower with you make to be more of a distraction more than a way to save money on water?

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I've showered with my husband and at various times with a few close friends. With my husband, the shower tends to take LONGER than if we had quickly showered separately and uses more water. It's nice but not effective for water conservation. With platonic friends (note: I know a some people who are super comfortable with nudity in a non-sexual way) I think it can be faster and save water because while I'm shampooing my hair, for instance, they can be rinsing theirs. This means that the running water is always in use.

In our RV, to save hot water, there's a button on the showerhead to pause the water. I think it's called a navy shower. You get wet, turn off the water, and soap up. Then you turn it back on to rinse. Showering with a platonic friend is essentially like taking two of that type of shower, just both of you are there at the same time, switching off. My RV shower isn't big enough for that, of course but many home showers and campground shower areas are.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too have showered with my husband a few times. I would agree, I'm not sure if we do actually save any water this way because we always seem to take longer than when we shower separately. We also have way too much fun, talk a lot in the shower and end up staying longer than we normally would if we both showered alone. It can get annoying when you're waiting for the other person to rinse off. Maybe one day when we're stinking rich we'll build our own house with those humongous twin shower heads in our crazy big en suite **sigh** LOL

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, yeah, but not in the name of water conservation...On the whole though, I'm a fan of the "Navy shower" that @Feneth@Feneth describes. I like to save water and electricity where I can and will always turn the shower off while I'm scrubbing then back on to rinse. OH thinks it's nuts.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @missbishi@missbishi...yes, I too have taken to having 'navy showers', especially now that we are in severe shortage of water here. Water rations for days on end will teach anyone to be a lot more conservative with water. As I've got older, I've become even more conscious of the importance of electricity and water conservation. Our energy resources the world over are in decline, and we all have to do our bit for the environment :(

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live water is very cheap and even if it wasn't I doubt that I'd be showering with anyone so we can save water. To be honest, I don't think showering together would save any water. If your bathtub is big enough then maybe bathing together would be a better option. Not that I'd try it though.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bathing multiple small children is fine, but most people enjoy their time in the shower or bath alone so unless there is a water shortage, I don't really see it as necessary. In many cases you have to wait for hot water and that can lead to running a shower longer than necessary.

It's not practical for most people and for children it's more of a time saver than anything else.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe as a time saver for those with small children - but as a means of water conversation I doubt it - particularly as showering together generally uses way more water than taking an individual shower and sometimes even more than a bath.

Which is why - as I live in arid drought prone area where water is not only precious - but also where water shortage is such a common occurrence that there is no other option than to use it wisely - I too would agree - that if you really want to save water - the only real way of doing so - is to take - as already mentioned by Feneth and missbishi - military or navy style showers - as although they may not necessarily save much energy wise and especially not - if you have a water heater that has to heat the water each time it is turned on and off - as its generally more cost effective to keep those heaters running - they do very definitely save a very significant amount of water.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like my privacy when I bath, that is my time to relax, having another person in the bath with me would not be relaxing at all. When the kids were smaller we would let them bath together to make it fun for them and quicker to get them to bed.

12. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I take baths with my son simply because I cannot take a bath alone, as I am his sole caretaker. And I notice that we tend to bathe longer and waste more water. This is because he opens the faucet even when I close it, lol. He throws tantrums if he cannot have the faucet to himself. Then of course, we also use the shower as it is more convenient. I distract him with toys but he still gets back to the water. So showering together is really more wasteful for us in terms of water and time. But it's all I can do.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that showering together saves water. What I have in mind is the style of bathing. Whenever there is water shortage, the tv networks are replete with reminders and pointers on how to save water. The most common reminder is to wet oneself before soaping the entire body so that rinsing takes just once unlike the usual soap and rinse of the upper body and then soap and rinse again of the lower part.

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband will take baths with our youngest son who is 5 or when both my kids were really little I would put the two of them in the tub together. I find that having the two people in the bath at the same time probably does not save water since they are in the bath longer, it gets cold and then they empty part of the water out and refill. If it was just my 5 year old I would only fill the tub a third of the way saving water. I will sometimes shower with my husband but we have a large walk in shower with body jets so two can easily shower and save money this way.

15. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't and have thought of it but not for saving water. It's horrible but I never think to do that. I usually don't fill the tub that high though when my kids are taking a bath. And I don't take that long of showers. But I also sometimes put both kids in the bath together just to save time. I will try to do better on conserving water from now on.

16. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, this makes sense. I would not shower with anyone else apart from the wife and kids while they are still small, because in a couple of years we will not feel comfortable showering together. It's just the way it is!