Shutting Down The Phone To Save Battery Power

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Corzhens • Jun 20, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The main issue with smart phones is the battery consumption. A full charge can last only a day and maybe 2 days at the most if the phone is rarely used. When my phone's battery is getting low and there's no way to charge it, I usually shut if off for an hour. I will turn it on for 5 minutes to check for messages and missed calls then I would shut it down again. That shutdown saves a lot of battery power although the tradeoff is being out of the communication line for an hour.

With the emergence of the power bank, that shutting down is unnecessary though. But still, there are times that you cannot charge your phone and shutting down is still the best option.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While that certainly can ensure you don't miss any important calls I always recommend having a "dumb phone" with you at all times. They don't cost much. For less than $50 you'll have a phone that can always be on. Use this phone to receive text messages and phone calls and your smartphone for other things.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree, I think that alloting a dumb or simple phone to serve as your main phone for calls and texts would be a better idea rather than turning your phone on and off, which I think is a hassle. Old phone models take a long time to die, so it would be wise to seek out one in Ebay or use your old units if you have one.

4. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Also I have noticed that when you don't have a lot of time to charge your phone if you do shut the phone off when you go to charge it the phone will charge more quickly then if it was left on. My phone is constantly going dead so I am an expert on the subject unfortunately.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you need to save battery for Many hours, the best thing is indeed to turn it off. However, when I need some battery for just one or two hours, I would resort to airplane mode. If you put your phone on airplane mode, chances are it's going to last you way longer, even more than you turn it off and turn it back on because just to turn it on and off the phone takes up a lot of battery.

6. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    My phone's battery gets low really soon and it's often a problem for me, especially since I travel a lot and don't have a spot to charge it. That's why I decided to invest some money in a power bank and I must admit that it was a nice surprise - I don't have to worry about my phone dying in the middle of a call.
    However before getting my power bank I realized that shutting totally down the phone and turning it on every hours for a few minutes isn't the best option, since you still "waste" some charge when turning it off and on. The best choice is to set it on "Airplane mode" turning off all the functions, the so-called "ultra-stamina mode" on Sony Xperia smartphones. You can just disable the airplane mode when it's needed without turning off your phone.

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Not necessary, after a few seconds of being idle, my smartphone is setup to go into an inactivity state, making the touchscreen inresponsive and only becomes active after pushing one button.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that with a lot of these new smartphones and tablets, it doesn't matter if you turn the battery off or not. I can charge them up to full battery power, and turn them off to ensure that none of that drains, and then when I turn it back on again, it'll be at 95% or something.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    My phone has ultra battery saving mode, and I freaking love it. It shuts down all of the apps, and many process. It only shows me 6 items on my home screen, and also gives me an estimate for how many days or even weeks if the phone is still topped off, and I love that.

I have kept my phone off the charger for 3 days at a time because when I wasn't doing things like watching videos, surfing the internet, or whatever then there was no need for me to be running all those processes in the back ground.

UPS mode is the best for any phone.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    My smartphone's battery is - and I feel lucky, since all I ever hear anyone else do is moan about their smartphone's battery - pretty good for a budget smartphone. It really lasts all day and more, unless I am constantly on high battery/CPU applications.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard so many different things when it comes to saving power and money by turning things off or leaving them on, that I really have no idea what to believe anymore. That said, though, the phone is one thing where I really do not bother with worrying about it. I think it is small enough to not use that much power, and also I need to have it on for obvious reasons, so I am okay with having it on all the time.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I think that different devices have different batteries in them, of course. It will vary greatly. I feel like the cheaper the device, generally, then the cheaper the battery and the worse the battery life. Turning off cheaper devices to save battery, in my experience, has not worked. The battery drains whilst off.

13. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely could be an option, but not the best of them. Turning off your phone could be something really odd and it could also get to be dangerous depending on the situation, you always have to keep your phone ON just in case of emergency or whatever you may have to do.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always put my iPhone on the charger every evening, and that way it is charged up and ready to go for the next day. I don't make many phone calls, so the battery actually lasts a long time, and I always keep the screen turned off unless I am using it.
    I think that people who use their phone for a lot of texting, or playing games would need to charge their phones a lot more that someone who just makes a few phone calls, and then it would be good to carry one of those portable charger along with you. You can keep that charged up and then if your phone starts to get low, you can charge it right back up with the portable charger.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I would just keep it on and the amount paid is worth keeping your phone available at all times. You can also buy a type of cheaper phone for calls only or texts which are very cheap and consume very little power.

16. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, low battery life is a real pain in smartphone world. As newer power hungry applications keep coming up, the situation is deteriorating day by day. I wonder why there is no focus on extending battery life. In fact there have been no major developments to enhance battery life.

But I don’t think it is a good idea to keep the phone switched off to save battery. Then the whole purpose of your mobile phone is defeated. The main advantage of mobile is that you can be contacted anytime from anywhere in the world.

I have a smartphone with a poor battery backup. I never use it for my daily mobile needs; instead I use a basic Samsung model. Its battery can live up to 5-6 days and can be recharged really fast. As I mostly depend on my laptop I am not an addict to my smartphone.

17. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think shutting phone will save battery power. In fact, devices such as phone, computer, tab uses more power yo shut down and start up.There are other ways to save batter power, such as not using vibration because vibration consumes more power, using low brightness, switching off the data when not in use.

18. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree. I actually have a basic phone which I call it since it only does basic stuffs like texting and calling, not to mention that it lasts longer compared to smartphones nowadays which only lasts 2-3 days at most. Having a basic phone can totally save you within the day especially if you're waiting for an important call or message without worrying you'll ran out of battery :)

19. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there's any question that powering off the phone is going to save the power, but at the same time isn't the main reason to have a smartphone in the first place the fact that you can be virtually online and available all the time? Surely by turning your device off then you might as well just leave the phone at home and s it defeats the whole point of having a smartphone in the first place.

The life of the battery is a still a massive issue and until it does eventually get sorted, I just make sure I always carry around a spare charger. I know you shouldn't have to do that but for the moment it works, and in my opinion is the better option than turning your phone off completely.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been doing that for a long time. That perhaps is the best way of saving your smartphone's battery without having to switch off your phone. I get most of my calls on my feature phone which I use for essential services so that I never miss my important calls and messages.