Siberian husky?

Discussion in Pets started by jackslivi • Oct 20, 2014.

1. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Hey everybody!

Who else here has a siberian husky?

Is your dog a long haired or short haired?

How big is your dog?

What tips do you guys have for huskys?

If a lot of people post, I will find a good picture of my husky. I have a male who is 80 pounds. He is a long haired and he is super hyper. We have to swept The House every day because he sheds so much. And now that it is starting to get cold outside, he can not make up his mind on if he wants to be inside of outside.

:D

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any, but my cousin had one and a former coworker of mine had several of them, and they are such adorable dogs - so full of personality! I admit they do look like they could be a handful at times, particularly with shedding and keeping active with them, but it seems like it would be worth it overall. If I had a big enough yard I would possibly consider getting one.

We had another dog many years ago that also loved being outdoors, and we eventually had to give her away because our yard was not fenced in. Luckily one of my dads co-workers had a huge yard that was fenced in, so we gave her to him instead.

3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to (long ago) have and show huskys, for about 5 minutes. They are great dogs but not for everyone. They have a really strong prey drive so not good with smaller animals as a general rule. A shot haired husky would be considered flawed and not the breed standard. They are bred to live in the Arctic and pull sleds. They are also double coated which makes the shedding even worse. They are too much work for me anymore. They need a LOT of exercise and/or a "job." Personally I think it is cruel to keep them too far south. They really enjoy the cold and snow (unlike myself).