Simple Christmas Gifts For Less Than $5

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Zyni • Dec 12, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's make a big old list of stuff that we can buy or make to give as Christmas gifts for $5 or less. Ready? I'll start.

Print off a calendar. Print off a picture to add to the top. Attach it to some cardboard (a piece from a cereal box should work or some poster board). Place it in a pretty frame. Done!

If you don't have a printer, check your local library. They may let you print something for a tiny fee. Just don't put any personal info on the public computer.

I think this would make a nice grandparent gift with a picture of the grandkids up top, although you could use any photo or image you like. You could also add a border around the calendar and then around the whole thing to dress it up a bit. Washi tape could work or lace, ribbon, etc.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Wonderful idea Zyni

However as Calendars would have been one of my first choices too - as not only are they extremely easy and inexpensive to make - as well as easily customized with your own choice of design and are - like you said - generally a very much appreciated gift by older loved ones and even more so now that calendars do appear to be becoming increasingly difficult to find - although there are plenty of free templates available online - these are some of the most impressive I've found to date

Anyway in answer to the question - although I can think of many, many more inexpensive gift ideas from pretty candles to inexpensive flash lights and pamper baskets - one that does immediately spring to mind as being one that you generally can't go too far wrong with - is a family sized - Movie Snack Stash Basket - which can easily be filled with a selection of dried fruit, nuts, cookies, a few chocolate items and some microwave popcorn for well under $5

Or if looking for something a little different how about a bird feeder - as they're another popular gift item that gives lasting enjoyment for those that like watching and having wildlife visit - there is plenty of choice for well under $5 too - or even less if you make them yourself - like this cute little pine cone birder feeder

pinecone-birdfeeder.

which is not only real simple to make but can be made for way less than $5

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that for cheap, generic gifts, I always get to receive a mug, figurine, picture frame or photo albums, lol so I think those gifts can pass off as being around $5 or maybe even less depending on what you buy. A cheap scarf or cap are also good gifts to give someone.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some cheap gifts that cost less than $5:

- A piggy bank for the kids. A good Christmas gift I think, they'll learn how to save a little money.
    - Playing cards. They are very cheap but playing card games as a family can be great fun.
    - A coloring book and some crayons.
    - Books.
    - Candles.
    - $5 paypal cash :)

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the link. There are some really pretty ones on there. I even saw one that had a little stand (like a plate stand) instead of a picture frame. I think that would work better for the type of calendar that has individual pages for each month,, so you could switch them out more easily (I was thinking of the whole year calendars for the option I suggested).

I don't know, but I just like calendars. I used to get free ones all the time from various companies or the bank. Some places stopped doing it though, which is why I thought this might be cool.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I went to JCP the other day and bought my sin an entire suit for $5. It was really cut and was on clearance. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the price tag. You have to keep your eyes peeled, but you can find amazing bargains at the stores these days. Ross also has a lot of nice gifts for under $5 right now.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    My pleasure and even more so now that I know - that some of those ideas may well go some way towards helping create what you have in mind - speaking of which you've just reminded me.

That as we haven't been able find a calendar either free or to buy for well over ten years - and I have - although ours are relatively simple as we only really need one for keeping track of national holiday dates in the different countries that we do business with - been printing our own calendars for all that time - that somewhere in my bookmarks - as I did make some photo calenders some years back - was this

which is not only free and real simple to use as it doesn't require any additional editing software - but all are extremely easy to customize and personalize too - especially as you can add any text you like in the little quote boxes next to were you put the photo.

8. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea for a post! I like the homemade calendar as a gift idea. I made two calendars this year with photos of the grandkids for the grandparents, although I cheated! Shutterfly usually offers free photo calendars (check DontPayFull.com periodically for promo codes for free calendars), then you just have to pay shipping. I think shipping cost about $6, so for $1 more you can have someone else do all of the hard work! ;)

An easy $5 gift for the ladies is a DIY spa gift basket. Find a cute basket from Dollar Tree or a thrift store, and add body wash, a loofah, and some lotion. Use coupons to save even more on these items!

Another gift theme is movie night! Add a box of microwave popcorn ($1 at Dollar Tree) and/or a box of theater candy, and an inexpensive movie on DVD to a basket or gift bag, and you have a movie night gift ready to go!

This year I made easy homemade Christmas candy very inexpensively. I simply melted chocolate chips, stirred in some favorite add-ins in separate batches, much as chopped almonds, marshmallows, and dried cherries that I already had in my pantry, and spooned them into Christmas-themed mini muffin papers, and sprinkled them with red and green sprinkles! I will put them in festively wrapped containers and jars that I have been saving and give them away as gifts this year.

For other gifts $5 or less, check out the store Five and Below! There are a ton of great gifts for $5 or less, especially for the younger people on your list to shop for.

There are a lot of things you can do with $5 or less, and being creative with it makes giving that much more fun! Merry Christmas! :)

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Does a $5 gift card count as well? How about some things you can get from the dollar store? There is a pair of headphones you can get from the dollar store for a dollar but I only buy them when I really need headphones but can't afford some better ones. How about some old fashion candy like Chico sticks, sugar daddy's,ect? You can find those at some Walgreens. How about some nail polish, nail file, lotion and soaps? Sometimes it's just cheaper to buy the travel size versus the regular size when looking at things like lotion.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it were me I'd probably just buy a lot of USB drives and put in some media like music or movies or even books personalized for each person. That way I will still be able to show the person that I am considering their personality when choosing a gift, as well as getting to save a little. The trickiest part would be to find free resources for the media inside but there are lots of public domain or royalty free media that you can choose from as long as you spend enough time and effort to discover them.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:You are so right there are many gifts that are below $5! At CVS we have in Hawaii a beautiful calendar for .88! At Walmart there are loads of things less than $5! If you really try and when budgets are tight, you can get creative or shop at places that have many nice things for under $5!:)

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's not forget homemade coupons or gift certificates for certain activities. They could be for some time together if it's for a grandparent, child, spouse, etc., especially if y'all are really busy or overscheduled and don't get much time together. It could also be for a back or neck rub, a foot massage, a manicure or pedicure (that you would give) - I had a boyfriend who'd owned a salon, and was very well versed in hand massages and mani/pedis, and I felt very pampered when he'd give them to me. They could also be for something unique, such as a music lesson, knitting/sewing/crocheting lesson, if that's your specialty, a session at an ice rink, or even a day at the park. Sometimes the best gifts are from the heart, and don't even involve money.