Simply Audiobooks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Zyni • Feb 23, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you guys heard of this site? Simply Audiobooks is set up basically like Netflix used to be. It's kind of the Netflix of audiobooks. You pay a monthly rental fee, and then you select books to place in your queue. They send you one, and when you return that, they send the next one in your queue. They have different monthly plans, each higher in price, that allow you to receive more books at one time. The basic rate is $17.99 for one book at a time. While you can only have one at each time, you can read as many as you like within a month.

I have a blind relative. We buy him audiobooks as gifts. I'm thinking a subscription like this might be a good gift too. Has anyone tried this program? Heck, the monthly fee is less than the cost of one audiobook, in many cases.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of Audible Books but not Simply Audiobooks, I feel that $17.99 is too much of a charge for one book a month. You can go to the library and get free audible books online. The library may not have a many books available for check out but it is free.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think $17 is rather too expensive. There are a number of sites on the net where you can find free audiobooks.

Links below:

Enjoy the free audio books.

4. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    umpteen million years ago, I subscribed to audible.com because at that time, the library didn't have audio books available. Then the next year, the fee went up and then every year after that. Since I was grandfathered in, I am still paying the same fee as the original first year.
    I also have a library card for my county, and for Denver county, so I get free audio books from there. I will also check out the links above and go nuts!!! Thanks....
    I don't have a job, so free is always the right size and right color.

5. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I can't afford $17.99 a month for just one book. That seems like highway robbery considering there are so many different places that we can get them for free. Library is one of them and then there are countless websites.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't heard of this site before, but I don't think I'll check this one out and subscribe to them because $17.99 for one book is just too expensive. I'd rather just buy a real book and read it.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not really for one book, though? It's for unlimited books. :V And considering audiobooks tend to be $20 or more for one, I'd say it's a really nice deal, especially if you don't have audiobooks available in the library or stuff.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I don't really favor audiobooks for personal consumption, this site has done a remarkable job of servicing visually impaired individuals. I used to think audiobooks are pointless but now I'm reminded that they actually serve a greater purpose (much to my embarrassment). It's a blessing that some people took the pains to create them. Hopefully, Simply Audiobooks will also consider the needs of financially challenged blind men and women.

9. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Audible is where I usually go so its nice to know that another option has joined the fray. The thing I always look at is the type of audio books that is on offer and the variety of books.