Skimp On This But Splurge On That

Discussion in Misc & Others started by GreenPersimmon • Sep 15, 2016.

1. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I was looking at all my stuff while I'm getting to clean house before the holidays. I found that I have a definite pattern when it comes to my spending. When it comes to cookware, I splurge. Though I got it on sale with a employee's discount on top of it, I bought POTS AND PANS with a copper bottom for even conductions. But my plates and silverware I got at a dollar store, thought I can't remember which. My clothes and accessories are kind of the same way. I work with oil and watercolor paint that rarely comes off it lands on your clothes. So most of my daily clothes are as cheap and comfortable as I can find. A lot of three dollar shirts from Walmart unless I feel like waiting on clothes to be shipped. But my scarves and jewelry, alone with other accessories, tend to be way more expensive. I'll wear an outfit worth maybe at tops ten bucks with accessories that add up to close to a hundred dollars when I go out. While I don't buy Prada or those kinds name brands, I do tend to have higher quality jewelry for everyday because it is fun. I think because it's made of metal that I feel that's okay to spend extra on it. Things I think I'll have for a long time, I'll save up to buy something of higher quality. What about you? Do you have things that you splurge on and things that you skimp on? What are they? Or do you only buy high quality things or only cheap things?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting OP. I haven't splurged on any thing for some time but I'd say that the last time I splurged was before I was laid off three years ago. Since then I haven't been skimping just not buying like I use to. Most of my shopping occurs outside of the brick and mortar stores these days and I guess I continue to splurge when I find any item that I believe is worth it.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I am a foodie so I will say that I tend to spend the most money on going out to eat, I don't tend to spend as much on clothing, jewlery or home decor items although I like all of them a lot. I buy what I can afford which in most cases sadly, tends to be low end items

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Anytime I am buying some kind of equipment or something mechanical or useful like a tool, I always search the customer reviews and get the best one available within reason. Because I want those items to last. At the same time, I have no problem buying my clothes from the thrift store. It just seems silly to me to spend a lot of money on clothes.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do skimp on things that are disposable or that I won't use often and splurge on treats (otherwise why bother) or items that need to be good quality such as shoes. These days even when you skimp, you can find some good quality things such as bath mats or household scourers.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are things you have to be willing to spend more money on. There are some products made by certain companies which though more expensive are durable. So when durability is something I have to choose, I'd be willing to spend more on such items. For everything else however, I'll buy the cheapest.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    This makes sense to me. Like @Theo@Theo, I tend to skimp on disposable stuff. I also buy cheaper brands when it comes to basics. I don't need brand name table salt and other staples, so I'll buy the cheap ones. When it comes to other things like pure vanilla extract instead of imitation that's different. I want the good stuff, which costs quite a bit more, but it's worth it.

That's just one example. I have always skimped in some areas, so that I could spend more in others.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy cheap clothing and slippers most of the time. But when it comes to electronics, I tend to buy the branded ones when I can afford it. But right now I want to try buying a cheap Android phone that costs only $75 to $80 to see if they are as good as the expensive ones. My dad has been using a phone like that for 2 and a half years now and until now it still works perfectly.

9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I donot really have a pattern however, I buy stuff rarely and prefer to buy durable ones unless it doesn't really matter.

I still find that I spend more on eatables than any other item.

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    If I got a big check, then I might splurge on things I really enjoy. For instance, one time I bought a bunch of computer 3D models. Looking back, I think it might have been a wasteful situation, but then again, you only live once. The same is true with foreign jobs. I could have saved overseas, but a lot of times I chose to spend a lot simply cause it was enjoyable.

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't splurged on anything in a long while now. If I splurge it will be on something to do with food or any item for my daughter other than that I don't need any name brands. When I had the money I used to like spending a bit more on a better quality food items even though they were not too expensive but compared to what I buy now they were. I have saved a lot by watching out for good deals and found that some other brands are as good as name brands.

12. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I also like to splurge a little bit on gifts. I will buy a few cheap things and at least one nice thing that is especially for that person. I enjoy the shopping part, where I take my time looking for just the right item. I can't afford to buy a whole bunch of nice items, so I usually have a main gift and then some smaller ones that cost less.

I like to get creative with wrapping like decorating plain brown paper or making my own gift bags. I like to use part of the gift as a wrap too, if that will work. Like use a receiving blanket to wrap a baby gift instead of expensive paper. Some might say I skimp there. I'd rather skimp on wrapping and splurge on the actual gift part.