Sliced Watermelon?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Jul 4, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family loves watermelon, but I can't have any. I hate being the one to cut it up for everyone else when I can't even eat it. It smells so good. So, I figured maybe I'd buy some that was pre-sliced. We didn't need a ton anyway, so why not?

The prices were high. It just wasn't worth the convenience to pay around three times as much. I've seen this with other types of melon as well as with fresh pineapple. I just never noticed the prices before, because I usually just buy whole ones.

What do you think? Would you go for the convenience or go for the savings?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I usually don't buy the pre-cut produce because the cost is so much higher than buying the whole produce item. Sometimes, it would be nice but like you have stated the cost is not worth the convenience of it. Maybe if you don't need quite as much as a the whole item would be it would be better but I find that for my family the pre-cut is not enough for us.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I don't but precut fruit unless I am short on time. Cutting and slicing yourselr will always be less expensive.

4. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I buy sliced fruits only when I am eating it while I am on go. For instance, I am outdoors and want to eat fruits. I visit fruit shop or stalls ans ask for sliced water melon, sliced pineapple or any fruit that is available as slice. When I am buying fruits for home, I always buy whole. It saves money. .

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to be honest and say that - having seen the premium price that consumers are expected to pay for the convenience of buying ready to eat pre-washed, pre-peeled or pre-cut/sliced fruit - which where I live is generally marked up to around 85-95% more than the unit cost of buying individual loose produce - absolutely NEVER could I justify paying that amount for something that at most takes no more than a few minutes of my time.

In fact bearing in mind - that this extra ordinarily high priced pre-peeled and pre-cut fruit is likely to have been handled by more than one person, as well as exposed to who knows what on the many different surfaces and utensils used during the preparation process and more importantly - that as both fruit and vegetables once picked immediately start to lose valuable nutrients and even more so when cut, chopped or peeled - and therefore - by the time it reaches your kitchen counter - its highly unlikely that it would contain any nutrients whatsoever - this is for sure - not only one of the most expensive ways of buying fruits and vegetables but very definitely - not value for money by any stretch of the imagination.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if I had a number of people to feed, as in having a family around I would go for the whole watermelon, but as a single person, it is doubtful I could even eat a whole watermelon. I know a store where I can get watermelon portions very inexpensively. I will buy a quarter of a watermelon for like a dollar or two. It works for me!

7. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy pre-cut fruit as it's simply not the effort. Paying a vendor three times the price simply to cut a fruit for me is not worth the extra money. Honestly, I'll cut it myself and get some exercise out of it. Plus, in your case, simply cut out some pieces for yourself before giving out to anyone else as it seems unfair that you're not getting any.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my watermelons whole. And slice it myself afterwards, then I usually put 1/4 a spoon of brown sugar over the sliced piece. And then munchy time!. Where I live, fruit dealers would slice the fruit if you want to, without any aditional cost, maybe that could be a solution for you.

9. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its a truism that if one would go for convenience at the expense of price, not much would be realised in terms of savings. Preparation of foods is a form of value addition but vendors tend to overshoot their prices. It would only make sense if someone is extremely busy when time saved would yield bigger dividends.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on pre sliced being worth it if you're not able to have any yourself. I'm allergic to melon and I'd rather not be cutting it up for other people, myself. It makes me feel sick so I avoid it at all costs and would prefer to buy it pre sliced. It is a lot more expensive though.

Have you considered buying it frozen? I know it's not quite the same but here you can get bags of frozen melon balls for about $2 which tend to suffice for my family at least most of the time.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually get the whole piece of fruit and cut it up and put it in a bowl so that anyone can get what they want when they want it. I really don't like having to cut up watermelon because of the size of the fruit. We eat the fruit so fast when it has been cut up. We slice apples also to make it easier for people to eat when they want something to snack on.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as I can remember, we have always bought fruits as a whole, not sliced. My dad doesn't really complain about having to slice the fruits himself, so I guess it saves him money.