Small corner shop or huge hypermarket?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Mafdet • Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I like wasting time in hypermarkets, but I also like small shops. Sometimes you can find there unique items that you wouldn't find in a hypermarket. How about you? Which type of shop is your favorite?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like big markets. Too many people. I'd rather go to an average sized grocery store. I like small shops too for special items.

3. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the time I have left for shopping and what I want to buy.
    Usually, I choose the small corner shop near my home, since I come back from work late in the evening and I`m not in the mood to face the crowd in a hypermarket. When I want to buy some paper for my printer, I have to go to the hypermarket, it`s not to be found nearby.

4. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I usually go to big stores where I can find everything I need in one stop. It's convenient, especially with 3 kids and it's cheaper. However for something special, I like to go to more specialized shops. We are still new to the area and I haven't really found a small shop I like to browse through yet. The mall has pretty much the same stores every mall has, nothing really special. Part of me prefers the large stores because I don't like small shops where you have salespeople hovering over you, starting conversations. It makes me really nervous, I prefer just going and getting what I want and getting out as quickly as possible.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to go to one store get all that I need and have it done with. I lived in California many years a go and got spoiled. You get everything included clothes in one store, things for your car, food, wine and books. Sometimes you get lost in the specialty sections but so much quicker than going from store to store.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To me it depends, if I'm in a hurry I prefer a small supermarket shop, but if I'm looking into variety and if I want to do my grocery for the month, then I definitely prefer hypermarkets. I love going into big hypermarkets, it's like going to the mall! But obviously whenever you get into one it takes forever to find and get everything you need, not to mention you end up buying more stuff than you need because there's so much to buy.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I try to shop in independent retailers as much as possible. Especially those that source produce locally. Of course if there are massive savings to be made I will buy at the supermarket. All of my milk, eggs, bread and meat is bought from independent butchers/bakers etc, and some other stuff too. I probably spend most of my money in supermarkets, but a sizable chunk is in small stores too.

8. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Both depending on what I want to buy. When I have something in mind, such as groceries, or office supplies, I tend to go straight to the super markets. However, if I don't know what I want to buy and I'm strolling around with my best friends or family visitors, we go to nice commercial places with small boutiques and corner shops. In these shops, we find things we didn't initially plan on buying but eventually end up buying it.

9. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I usually get my shopping done for the month in a hypermarket, it's just much more convenient and more often than not it ends up being cheaper.
    However, for my day-to-day shopping needs, like if I am missing something to get dinner done or if I run out of shampoo or something, I'll just go to the neighborhood supermarket.

10. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    It's true that in a Hypermarket you can find almost anything you need and you can make one trip and get equipped for the entire week. But I'm sure some of you will agree that when buying from a hypermarket, you often end up with products that you did not intend to buy when you left home. For them it's a good marketing strategy to tempt us with all sorts of promotions, but for us it can become a wasting money adventure.

11. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    I`m not very sure what do you mean by independent retailers, are they local retailers? In my country, local retailers meaning they are based in a certain area and formed by local businessmen, promote cheaper products, since veggies and clothes are produced in that region, while corporations as Carrefour or Kaufland try to convince customers buy products manufactured all over Europe