Small Independent Grocery Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by robinegg • May 13, 2014.

1. robinegg

robineggMember

Threads:
    What do you think about small family-run groceries? They are often ethnic and have imported food or specialty products.

I always like to browse in them, just to see new things, and I feel bad that I don't buy anything, especially since they don't get a lot of customers sometimes and I feel like they are staring at you the whole time. Sometimes, the service is also lacking. There is a small Greek grocer next to my work and the cashier was pretty rude, and now I don't want to go back even if their ladyfingers are cheaper than chain grocery stores...

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live there are no "family" owned or privately owned grocery stores. There's a privately owned Health Food stores and couple privately owned Delis, but not that many. The Health Food store I used to shop in quite a lot, but now I've sort of stopped shopping there because their prices keep going up and up. Seeing as paying 6.99 for a 6 pack of soda is little bit much, even when it's organic, sugar and calorie free soda. I stick to Whole Foods for my health food shopping now a days.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    If the service is friendly, the store is clean and the prices are reasonable I will buy from them. Who wants to wait in line or listen to some union person talk on the phone or goof off? That's what comes with a lot of my chain stores and I guess they clean up when they see profits are down but then the cycle starts all over again.

Smaller stores are sometimes family businesses so they are more likely to have pride in their operation.

4. secondhandsaint

secondhandsaintNew Member

Threads:
    It can really be hit or miss with the little places. We have a little Mexican panaderia down the street from our house, and they have such great sweets in there. But the women who work there only speak a tiny bit of English, and they only take cash.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some are good, some are bad. In my hometown, there were a few of such family-owned groceries. Because of the competition, to retain customers, the owners had to be place customer service and 'friendly' prices at the top of their list. In any case it wouldn't matter if they did, big stores wouldn't bother to have one of their stores here because very people live in the town which leaves the 'small boys' in the clear to battle it out amongst themselves.

Except for the prices which can be quite high at times, I think I'd buy from a small grocery store any time.

#5May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like smaller supermarkets that are not chain supermarkets. I specially like Asian ones, since I really like Asian foods. In California where I lived there was a small discount "bargain" market that I really enjoyed! They had the most amazing prices. They didn't have as much variety, so I still had to buy at other supermarkets as well, but I saved up a lot buying there!

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I think it could really be a hit or miss in places of that nature. Sometimes they're run really well and the upkeep is fantastic and the items are specialized. Wherein they seem to have a lot to say about the product because they have been selling them/using them for years.

That being said there is the other side of that coin which is a small time independent grocery may not care at all about upkeep, they may be incredibly rude, and they may be priced in a ridiculously high fashion. I've seen both sides of this situation and when it's done right it's great to give them my money. But there are definitely times it's done wrong.

8. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We have a lot of privately owned small stores in my town, some give a very good and friendly services and some don't. I do like coming and buying from them especially if I want to get away from the hassle of queuing but their prices are a bit more expensive.

I still prefer to go to a bigger supermarket more often though because I like paying with card instead of a cash. I feel safer that way especially if I was carrying my baby with me so paying is so much easier when I just have to hand my card and sign.

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at an independent grocery store in my area sometimes. They have good deals when you buy what's on sale. I'm not a big fan of their meat department or their produce, though, and some of their items that aren't on sale are overly priced. I do like shopping locally and supporting local businesses, though.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I like them, but I try to support local businesses as often as possible. The only problem I have found is that they are not always as clean as larger grocery stores and the prices are also much higher. I understand there needs to be a mark up since they're smaller, but $5 for a small pack (not box) of crackers is too expensive for me to shop at smaller grocery stores often.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are very few of them in my area these days. I will shop there if they have things that I want, and they are paying their employees a decent wage. If they are just another greedy business owner hiding behind the "but I'm a local business and bring jobs to the community" argument, while they pay their employees like crap and treat their employees like crap, but still sell overpriced merchandise, no thanks. If you are not paying wages better than greedy corporations like Wal-Mart, then you are not helping your local community at all.

I think part of the problem is that they try to replicate bigger name grocery stores, and chain stores, and offer a full selection of merchandise. Some of the more successful ones in my neck of the woods are actually greenhouses, who grow and sell their own produce in a small storefront, but also include some other staples they have shipped in, such as fresh dairy and pantry items. Not a full selection, but usually just what you need, especially if you are cooking things from scratch.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I try and use them as often as I can, but it is hard to do so when your local supermarket offers better quality food for a much cheaper price, it is a vicious circle I'm afraid.

13. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Yeah I completely get what your saying like when they get a customer the environment can be pretty awkward and intense. I wish the would be more friendly maybe play some music or something then I would be more inclined to buy something.

14. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy independent grocery stores. They seem to offer items that regular stores do not sell. The only issue is that of price because these stores tend to be more expensive.

15. safetydancepants

safetydancepantsNew Member

Threads:
    I work for a company that supplies food to independent retailers, so I try to support them as much as possible. Some of the people here have mentioned that there are ethnic stores -- these types of stores are where you can get the best deals. There are a few Hispanic and Asian grocery stores near me, and they have AMAZING deals on specialty items. I got 7 dozen handmade corn tortillas (made that day!) for 2.94, and the Asian grocery stores are excellent for rice noodles and other gluten free foods that cost a fortune at normal grocery stores.

16. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to go to bigger stores like Walmart, but for going out to eat I like to go to family owned restaurants. They serve better food. I don't really shop at small family owned stores though.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I really don't. While I do go to other smaller, local businesses, I just don't have any use for the grocery stores.

They never seem to have anything unusual and even the regular items are higher priced than the local store. I can't do all my shopping there. I can't save money. I can't really 'gain' anything, so I don't bother.

18. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    It must be one tough life trying to earn a living competing with bigger corporations such as Walmart. The little guys cant afford to give great deals too often. Its not a great line of work these days. The big guys are completely taking over. One day there will only be big corporations and none of these mom and pop stores.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like independent grocery stores because in my area the prices are higher than Walmart. I can't justify paying $5 for milk at the mom and pop store when it's only $3 at Walmart.
    Plus smaller stores don't have anyone telling them to rotate the stock, so I've seen dust on food products in some of the independent stores.

20. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Some of them are doing really good, I like buying from them also because finally chance should also be given to them some of them are doing amazing with costumers satisfaction so yeah that sounds good mate. You have highlighted a fine enough thing.