Smart Meters to Know Where to Lower Electricity Use

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by eslucky • Jun 25, 2012.

1. eslucky

esluckyNew Member

Threads:
    Last year our power company installed a smart meter on our house. The other day I went online to pay my electric bill and noticed a graph that showed how much power we are using for different things. It shows our monthly usage cost in detail.

Here is what it said about our usage:
    • Cooling - $103
    • Pool - $73
    • Lighting - $12
    • Food Storage - $8
    • Cooking - $4
    • Hot Water - $2
    I'm so impressed with how it shows where we are using our electricity. We didn't realize how much our pool was using in electricity. Our pool pump was on for 12 hours a day. We have now set it to only be on 9 hours a day. I can't wait to see what it says next month.

Do any of you have smart meters and have you adjusted your electricity usage because of it?

2. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Smart Meters are the best way to find out how much gas or electricity you use. It not only helps you save energy but also results on lowering your utility bills. In the UK, smart meters are becoming more popular by the day.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    Our electric company wanted to install a meter where they shut off our air conditioning and hot water heater when it was peak. We didn't go for it.

I do have a timer on my pool pump though. I know that they charge different rates for different times of the day. One problem with my pool is that when we have the pump off all day (at it's most expensive time) it promoted algae because the water wasn't moving. We were then spending money on algaecide which isn't cheap.

We started to turn it on for an hour or half an hour during the day a couple of times Like once at noon, once a 2 etc.

4. valigil

valigilNew Member

Threads:
    smart meter's okay but ours dosent display usuage only number of purchased units remaining but due to some reasons best known to to government, we now make monthly payments for having the meter in addition to purchasing electric units whether you make purchase units that month or not.