Smart Use Of Condiments

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • May 4, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you use condiments like ketchup, soy sauce, fish sauce or any other sauce? Teach your children to be Thrifty with the condiments. I have noticed in our home that people here pour a large amount of fish sauce and consume less than half. That’s the same with vinegar and other condiments used in eating. Now, I have issued a decree that using condiments should be on the minimum to avoid wasting such. I was glad that everyone in our home is cooperating and maybe they realized my wisdom on the wastage of condiments.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good way to save money when you don't pour more than you'll eat. I sometimes make fish and we like tartar and I'll admit sometimes I do make a bit more that needed. The already made ones are so expensive so I just throw together sweet relish and mayonnaise. I like a lot of tartar sauce on my fish, so I try to finish it all up, but alas sometimes there is waste. I feel awful, wasting the tartar sauce. Waste is not good and it also is a waste of money. Good idea to teach the young to save money wherever they can.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is particularly true with children who get so excited with the sauces and other sweeter condiments.

I have seen how people take fistful condiments offered at the hotels! It is a bit embarrassing.

Remember, condiments are usually high in sugars, salts and preservatives. They aren't really a healthy option and therefore should be used in smaller quantities.

It saves health and cash too.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Remove them from their bottles and put them in squeeze bottles with small mouths so people can minimize their consumption. Squeeze bottles are reusable so you can use them for different kinds of condiments.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I used to exaggerate in the use of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and barbecue sauce, in addition to using oregano in excess. But after a brief dietary reeducation, I changed those habits.

Now, it's everything under control. ;)

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Kids, in general, waste a lot of food, not just stuff like ketchup. Therefore, you have to be very strict about their eating. Otherwise, you're going to end up throwing away a lot of money as food often isn't cheap.

@Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit It's amazing how many napkins and other side things are wasted in restaurants. It's probably tough to keep low prices going with such waste.

#6May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I also waste ketchup and vinegar at times, but now I just take the excess ketchup and I just swallow it so that it won't be wasted. As for vinegar, well sometimes I do waste it, but now I try to pour it sparingly so that it won't be wasted. Luckily good thing vinegar isn't that expensive.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of wasting these, and times when they do not need to be wasted. I used to be pretty good about saving the packets but I am not sure what happened to that little habit.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    To avoid this problem I usually leave the condiments in there containers and serve as they are needed. I serve a small amount and if I need more I serve a bit more and so on. If it's homemade one can put them in containers and follow the same steps. As for children we can teach them the ways of not wasting and serve them ours selves the first few times until they learn.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't see ketchup as a condiment haha, I see more like herbs and stuff like that, that allow us to get the best possible taste on food without using too much salt. I wish I had more knowledge about it because it's something simple that can really change the flavors of what we eat, in a cheap way too.