Smartphone for the 70+ set?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by nms1234 • Aug 11, 2012.

1. nms1234

nms1234New Member

Threads:
    My 75-year-old mother would like a smartphone. She is active, though not all that tech savvy. Basically she wants something she can make calls, get her email and text with but has a screen she can read and set text size. Additionally, she would like to check her facebook and play games if possible. Any good, not too high cost ideas out there? Something around $200 would be great.

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I was going to say a tablet but that way she can't make calls or texts unless she pays for Skype credit or something similar (VoIP). A Samsung Galaxy phone, which has a large screen, would make sense for this case but it can go further than the $200 budget. I'm not quite sure how much those are costing right now.

To narrow the list down at least a little, it's an Android device she's looking for. For that budget, she can get a decent one, focusing primarily on the screen to make sure it's big enough for her to read from.

3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above poster that your best bet is an Android with a bigger screen. I have a Galaxy S and it is a good phone...you can definitely adjust it to make it easy for her to use, like without a bunch of widgets and stuff :)

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well since you said that she wants a smartphone that she can make calls with, then those large and bulky tablet phones are weeded out already. I would suggest that she buy any Blackberry model or any Sony Ericsson Xperia model, they are perfect for making calls but still have a moderately large screen that can surf the web decently.

5. Jennifernew

JennifernewNew Member

Threads:
    If children of age 10 can use smartphone then why 70+ people can't use it??

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a brand of cell phones (and I believe they now offer smart phones too) aimed at the elderly. I cannot remember the name of it right now, and I'm not sure if the phones are even running Android or some custom OS that kind of looks like Android. From what I recall, the on screen icons were obviously much larger and the screen didn't have a particularly high resolution. The phone itself was kind of small and relatively thick.

7. Temitopesmith

TemitopesmithBanned

Threads:
    why anyone is bound with the age limit even teenager are using smartphones so why to restrict the senior citizens for using smartphones...

8. UshaBecker

UshaBeckerMember

Threads:
    Hey hey...who said that smartphones are restricted to the senior citizens..they have the same right as the younger generation..than where's this coming from..

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ok, this is kind of a radical answer for you, but I am also a senior, almost 70, not a computer guru.......so pretty qualified to give an answer that might work for your mom.
    My daughter got me an iPad, and I have had it a could of years now, and it REVOLUTIONIZED my life, at least computer wise.
    I hardly use my desktop any more. I relax comfortably in my lounge chair with the iPad on my lap. I also have an iPhone that she got me, which I use for phone calls and texting (when necessary) , but it is still way too small for me to really see it well enough to do stuff online.
    So, unless your mom is going to be using the smartphone away from home a lot for surfing and email, I suggest getting her an iPad, or tablet of some kind , and then just a nice talk/text phone for use as a phone.
    The iPad is the perfect size for me. Not as heavy as a laptop, not as small as a smartphone. Easy to carry, and will even fit in a larger purse if you want to take it along somewhere ( dr. appt where you sit and wait, and you can read/surf with the iPad)
    It took me a bit to get the hang of the touchscreen, but now it is my preference.
    If you have not talked to your mom about this option, at least show one to her, and let her think about the possibility.
    I would be hating it if I had to do my online stuff on my smartphone !

#9Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013