Smartphone Insurance

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Magicman94 • Apr 9, 2014.

1. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    What do you guys think about insurance for your smartphone? Is is a waste of money or worth it? I can see it as a waste of money if you aren't too rough on it but if you're always dropping and breaking it I can see it as a money saver. What do you think?

2. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly ALWAYS get the insurance for my phones when I can. I do take very good care of my phones but you never know when something might happen. This is especially true if you have toddlers around the house. I have had to use the insurance a few times.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is a good idea to have insurance on a smartphone. Even if you don't drop it, it could get wet, lost, or even stolen. It is the type of item that is easy to leave in a jacket pocket and forget about when you put it in coat check or take a jacket to the laundry. It can get buried under a few papers and the next thing you know you are putting something heavy on top of it.

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is a waste of money to buy insurance for your Smart Phone.

Simply because they already come with a warranty. If you are looking to protect your Smart Phone from things that are not covered under the warranty. Just buy a waterproof screen protector.

A waterproof screen protector will protect your phone from all of the common risk. Such as dropping your phone in water, and cracking the screen.

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how much my phone cost.

If i bought a $600 phone. Then i would feel obligated to buy insurance for the phone. $600 is a lot of money. you have to protect that type of investment. phones are delicate devices you never know what could happen. It is nice to have some type of insurance.

However. If my phone cost $100. No i would not buy insurance. I think the warranty will suffice for a $100 phone.

6. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I personally agree that it is a waste of money. Insurance is good for expensive things like your car or home but for a smartphone only worth at most $600 it's a total ripoff and waste of money.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly.

Many contracts nowadays will give you huge discounts so that you're only spending a couple hundred bucks on a phone at most. If something happens to it in the first year, then sure, that sucks and you have to pay out of pocket, but chances are, you're going to be fine for the first year or two and it'd be a waste to have insurance on that.

If you're paying $600 for a new phone out of pocket, though, then insurance is worthwhile. You need it, just in case.