Smartphone Or Tablet?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Casiox • Jul 28, 2016.

1. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I was thinking about purchasing any of those since I dropped my phone to the ground and the screen just cracked, therefore, I will definitely have to buy a new one, however, I was thinking about if I shall buy a tablet or a smartphone, which one would be better? I generally use that kind of devices to take pictures, video recording, and WhatsApp , also a little bit of Instagram.
    which one shall I buy according to my tastes?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, do you use the gadget primarily at home on wifi, or both with a cellular plan and wifi? If you're planning to use a tablet with a cellular plan, you might need to check and see which would work with your plan and go from there.

I just sold my tablet because I now have a good smart phone. The phone isn't that much smaller than the tablet I had, which was 7", and since it was an entry level tablet (8 GB), it was very limited as far as the number of apps I could use, and how things functioned. I would not recommend buying a lower level tablet for that reason. When I was using iPod Touches via wifi, I would buy the one with the most GB in my budget, since I couldn't expand with an SD card. The tablet I had was expandable via SD card, but there was so much bloatware on it, that even when I disabled a lot of the standard apps and programs that came with it, there still weren't enough resources available to process that programs I needed to run, even though I tried to set it up with almost everything on the SD card.

Whichever you choose, just make sure to read lots of reviews on that particular model before purchasing, to ensure it can do what you need and want it to do.

3. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the phone I just dropped was a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, I mostly used it at home since it's too insecure out the streets, I basically could not use it out there because it was too risky for me, so yes, I mostly used it with WiFi connection, I have a normal phone for street usage.
    My budget is of around $250, what do you recommend me?

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't done any research in that budget, since it's out of my price range right now. If you've already got a phone, that gives you some flexibility to use either another phone or tablet at home. I'm very pleased with the phone I'm using now, though, which is a Note 3, and so much more functional than the Galaxy Tab 4 I was using, probably only because of the issue I mentioned with the 8 GB. I'd focus on size and weight, as well as buying a product with the best processor and RAM you can afford. As I mentioned in another thread, I never buy the latest of anything, since I'd rather let others experience the glitches and wait for them to be fixed.

I also don't like the high prices of new models, because it's a waste of money, in my opinion, the same as driving a brand new vehicle off a car lot and immediately losing value. Camera specs are important to me as well, so I'd take that into consideration, as well as other factors such as whether or not the phone/tablet was expandable an SD or other memory card slot, the size of card that could be used, and also whether or not the battery could be replaced.

5. AgentD22

AgentD22New Member

Threads:
    That's a shame mate, sorry about your phone!

I'd echo people's thoughts and recommend you to buy a smartphone, from what you're saying you need to have your device readily available to take pictures or use messasing apps like whatsapp and the fact is that while you can get better cameras on tablets, smartphones will always be more readily available to use because of their size, which is what you seem to need.

Hope my 2 cents helped you!

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on your requirement. For me, I am content with the smart phone since I am using a Samsung with a big screen that is crisp and clear with the display. But for some older people who have an issue with small fonts and graphics, the tablet is my recommendation. What's good in the smart phone is it is a phone that has the capability of a computer which makes it a 2-in-1 gadget which is good enough for me.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an iPhone; but all I usually do with it is use it as a phone and take pictures. I also text occasionally; but usually only when someone else texts me, and I need to answer.
    I do everything on my iPad, and like @Corzhens@Corzhens mentioned, I am an older person and the larger size is SO much easier for me to use.
    That being said, if I am waiting at the doctor's office , or somewhere that I have to wait, then I do open the Kindle app and read with the iPhone.
    I think that if a person does not have another phone, and you need a phone, then probably one of the larger smartphones would work best, because you can use it both as a phone and as a tablet.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, I bought a tablet. I had never used a tablet before this. Now that I have used a smartphone and a tablet, I can make comparisions. Both of these products have good points and bad points, however, generally speaking tablet outsmarts smartphones. You can use your tablets as phone provided it has a SIM slot.

9. annacath

annacathNew Member

Threads:
    There are numerous things to consider when it comes to choosing between a phone or tablet. In my opinion, I will recommend the phone. Why I recommend is that screen size. The small screen will more fit for your usual use.

10. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you really have a point there, but I do not really consider myself as the kind of person who likes big sized screens, I generally like iPhone's screen size since it's really comfortable and fits my whole hand without any extra effort, however, I was considering the idea of buying a smartphone, it could be an iPhone but I am still thinking about it, seems like the phone is winning at the moment.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you can't make calls on your Kindle. I have both a smartphone and a tablet aka Kindle. They both are great, however if you need a device to make calls a phone is probably you best bet. My recommendation is no to cheap out on the phone though because a cheap smartphone isn't really worth it in my opinion. I would take some of the money you have saved by not buying a tablet and put it into the phone.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have found that the tablets tend to be much cheaper than smartphones, and a lot of the cheaper ones will give you a similar experience to the more expensive branded ones. Most of the time people are simply paying that extra money for the brand, which I will always advise against. Some tablets will even allow you to make calls.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a coincidence. I am at the doctor's clinic this morning for my annual checkup. You can bet that I was using my Samsung to while away the time. In fact, I was tempted to post in Facebook of my whereabouts but that's not a healthy idea to let people know where I am exactly. I'm glad that I can still use my smart phone since the monitor is quite big but I have to admit that the time will come that I would have to settle for a tablet when my eyesight is already giving me a problem.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I were presented with that situation, i'd definitely go with the tablet and just get a smaller, cheaper phone LOL But like everyone has said, it really depends on your needs as well as your budget, where your priorities lie. Plus like DreekLass has pointed out, a lot of tablets can be used as a phone, allowing you to call and send messages.

@Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady....very interesting to hear you can install the Kindle app on your iPhone and read books on there! I never knew, but that's a good thing for me to know for the future :)

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Kindle app will work on just about any smartphone or tablet, and I have it on both of mine. My preference for reading is still the actual Kindle though, just because the size is perfect and the Kindle is so very lightweight. I have all three, the iPhone,, the Kindle, and the iPad, and I use each of them for different things.
    I use the phone mainly as a phone, or for taking pictures, the Kindle for reading only, and the iPad I use like it was a laptop, and do everything on that which I would do with either a computer or a laptop.

16. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've heard about the Kindle, but I did not really know it was an APP now, I would really like to try it when I get the device I will be buying soon, I thought that a phone will be better and will completely fit my needs, I just realized tablets are quite outdated nowadays and a phone will be way better for me.
    I will search up for some more information about the Kindle App, looking forward to it.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, you could easily do that. get a decent tablet, and then just get a cheap phone to handle all of your other communication needs. I don't know anybody who has done this, but with the economy these says, it appears to be the smarter choice. The only thing you would have to worry about is updating the OS system on the tablet.

18. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really think it could be a good idea at all, I was thinking about buying a smartphone plus a normal phone for communication purposes, I would really not go out the streets carrying an iPhone 6s Plus or anything like that, my country is way too insecure for that, they rob you every freaking where, there's no way you can avoid that unless you use a crappy when you go out.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the response, DreekLass :) It's definitely something worth remembering for future reference in case I ever have enough money to get myself an iPad. I've always wanted one, but obviously, they don't come cheap. So I just settle for my KindleFire for now LOL

20. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I recently bought both, smartphones and tablets. I did not want to put a cellular service on the phones. Just wanted to use them for apps. I may really regret doing that and they may end up on eBay. Last night they would not work and they keep wanting me to activate the cellular service with a phone number. I will look at it more this afternoon, but if I can't use them without a phone number, they will be useless to me. On the other hand, I bought some great Kindle Fire tablets from Amazon for $49 and they are working great. I may can just do all the apps I need on the tablet with no use for phone.