Smartphones, a step closer to the end?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Gelsemium • Sep 23, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Will the Apple Watch and other smartwatches be the start of the end of the smartphones industry? I mean, that smartwatches have cameras, connection to the internet, possibility to make phone calls, why would we need the smartphones for anymore? Is it a matter of time for smartwatches to replace the phones?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, I don't think this will ever happen. People like to play games, watch clips and browse the net on their phones - can all this be done properly on the small screen of a watch? Cause you can't really make a bigger screen and still keep the appearance of a watch. Smart-watches have their place, they're useful when you don't carry any other devices with you and want to quick check something, but fully replacing smartphones? I don't think so.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    If you're comfortable reading your emails, texting, playing games and browsing the internet on a 2 inch screen then why not? I personally don't like it. I don't think smartwatches will replace anything soon. Not unless they offer some sort of holographic display for better access and a battery life of more than an hour then I'd say bring in the future.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, I also don't think smartwatches would be the hottest gadget in the future. That small screen is just a burden if you want to browse the net for example. The most that it can be is like a "status symbol" of sorts, like if you have it, then for sure you you have more money to spend than the average person.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that there will be an end to smartphones, but I don't feel as though we're anywhere near it. In the past, people have been concerned about how much their phones can do, and have wanted new phones in order to get the new features, but now I think that people are realising that actually they don't really need to do a lot of the things that they are paying for, and are wasting far too much time being on their devices. So they are now opting for the combination of a simpler phone alongside a tablet such as an iPad, and I think that's a good compromise. In fact, that is the solution that I am coming to myself at the moment. I think that I will be selling my phone and buying an iPad for the games I like playing, and just keeping things simple and using my phone for calls and text messages, like it is meant for.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Smartwatches are just another gimmick if you ask me, kind of like motion control in gaming. I mean sure it's cool but it doesn't really add that much when it comes to the technlogy, it's not like it really improves your phones or anything it's just a fad. Just take a look at Google Glass, yes it's cool but the technology isn't there to render it really useful and a must have.

7. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    No, I personally think they will keep them separate things with separate functionalities, each sufficing for what the other can't do. The smart watch probably won't have all the functionalities of the phone and vice verse, cant think of any specific examples right off but you get the idea, and im sure they do too. So thats probably what will happen

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smart watches were created as a complement to smartphones. When you sync the two, you don't have to check your smartphone each time someone updates their status on social media, when you get a new message and so on. You just need to glance at your smartwatch . . .

The other thing about smartwatches is that they can't do most of the stuff which one can do on a smartphone. So unless they can such smartwatches and make them bigger, smartphones are here to stay.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a fact Denis, smartwatches were originally designed as a complement to the smartphone and smartphone companies (Samsung, Apple and so on and on) will continue to make them like that I believe, but companies that don't sell smartphones will bet on stand-alones and I think this will be a serious competition to the phones.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it would ever completely replace smartphones, because you can watch videos on phones and the screen is just much bigger overall. Plus, not everyone is willing to wear a watch or any other accessory and it's probably why Google glass won't be very popular either. I think they are a nifty option to have though, and I myself would probably want one in the future but just as a secondary item as like I said it's much better to browse online and watch videos on a smartphone.

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I think smart watches are ridiculous. I think there's something about being connected without carrying around your phone, but I certainly don't see it as a replacement for smart phones. There is no business use that I can see in which you'll be using a watch to replace the functionality of your handheld.

12. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree but I don't even see a place for them. To me it just seems lazy. Why wouldn't you carry your phone with you? The majority of people do for at least emergencies. A phone is not that big either generally. It can fit in your pocket or a small bag.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want to have a smart watch. To be honest, I am tired of things getting smaller and smaller. I already had difficulties adjusting to the tiny buttons on my smartphone, getting annoyed with constantly pressing the wrong ones. The same goes with touch screens. It took me a while to get used to them. It just didn't feel natural to me to be in direct contact with a digital screen.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smartwatches were designed to complement smartphones. It took me awhile to switch to a smartphone. Now, don't ever see myself giving it up. I use my smartphone as a PDA with phone capabilities. Smartwatches can't do that yet. I do enjoy the Android Smartwwatch, but it's not for me.

15. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Smartphones aren't going anywhere and Smartwatches are just a gimmick. I don't think it will replace smartphones, seriously do you like to watch movies, read your emails and text your friends using a screen smaller than the surface area of your thumb?

Smartwatches are add on devices, they're partners with the Smartphones, it's not like the Apple watch is a stand alone device, sure it can be but only as an iPod and not really a phone. To be able to fully utilize the use of the watch you have to tether it to your phone.

I personally would love to the idea of wearble tech but not unless everything is project into our eyes directly then smartwatches won't do. The screen is small and you can barely read anything and the battery life doesn't fair well. But you know what would make it perfect is that if they're able to perfect both the Google Glass and the Smartwatch technology, pair them together and it would be awesome.

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Smart phones will likely die out in the future but I don't think wearable tech is going to kill it any time soon. We're still in the very early stages of innovation. Tech like google glass and the apple watch are used by a very small percentage of the population. They also can't currently fill the needs that smart phones do. I don't think smart phones are going anywhere any time soon. Change will be gradual.

17. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, at least for awhile, the smartwatched will be a 'niche" item that apple tech junkies will be all over, but the rest of uswon't be. The price is going to be too much for people just to buy it as an extra item and I just see the screen as too much of a deterrent for it becoming massively popular. There's also the guaranteed bugs that inevitably happen with new tech.

18. elizabeta

elizabetaNew Member

Threads:
    No way, smartphones like "radios" have their niche market and a large one at that. Thus smartwatches and other high tech gadgets will only attract the existing small market of technology enthusiasts.

19. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I don't think smartwatches will replace smartphones at all, but will rather be an accessory or supplement to them. Even though some great smartwatches are coming out or have recently came out (like the Moto 360), they simply do not allow the user to perform many tasks the screen size of a normal smartphone allows you to do, such as GPS and internet browsing. With that said, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these gadgets! They look like fun little tools to use in conjunction with your smartphone.

20. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I guess anything is possible. I never thought I would be watching TV and movies on the small phone screen. But my eyes are getting no better and the smartwatch is a REALLY small screen. Also then my wrist would have to be constantly held in front of my eyes where my phone I can prop up on something, etc. I would think that would be really painful after a while to hold my wrist constantly in front of my face.