Smartwatch Discussion

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 2, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been following the recent influx of big brand smartwatches recently and none have really caught my attention since they all pretty much do the same thing with a few minor details put in or left out. Until lately the strongest contender I had for a smartwatch if I ever were to get one was the Apple Watch since it did look kind of alright to me although admittedly I still am not totally sold.

Just recently Microsoft has already come out with their own one in the Microsoft Band and it just didn't look good to me, and the same goes for Motorola's circular smartwatch. However, I think one has arrived that sets itself from the rest, and coming from someone who is highly skeptical of these things, it says a lot, I think.

What I'm speaking of is the Samsung Gear S which unlike other smartwatches, don't require a phone for it to work. You can put in a sim into the watch and you could text and call as you would a regular phone, and I think that's very useful for when you want to go out jogging and don't want to bring your bulky phone with you.

How about you guys, any smartwatches that have caught your eye and attention?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing for me, but I'm going to be following this thread because this is what my husband wants for Christmas. He is a runner and just recently our old Garmin finally gave out. He wants something that will track his mileage and time and sync with "Map My Run." I feel like the new Apple iWatch is high on his radar, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to justify the price.

I'll probably look at Garmins first, actually, which have no doubt been improved since the last time we bought one.

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There hasn't been any Smartwatch's that caught my eyes as of recent. I seriously think that they are just gimmicks and most that buy them do so because it looks cool. They haven't shown to have any features worth paying another couple hundred dollars for. Honestly, I would rather spend $300 for a gold watch then $500 for a Smartwatch.

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I currently own the Samsung Galaxy Gear that I got bundled for $50 in an upgrade deal when I got my hands on the Galaxy S4. I'm a major fan of Samsung's line of watches so far and they've improved them a lot, especially the Gear S. The user interface is refined, the functionality is much improved and the stand-alone abilities are remarkable. I want to own one but the price is surely going to be expensive. Other smartwatches I really like are the Pebble Steel and the Android Wear. I've seen the Apple Watch, but I don't like how it looks so clunky and doesn't have a sleek look to it like the Gear S and others.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The "Microsoft Band" isn't a 'smartwatch' ... not if you're talking about 'a watch with smart features.' Microsoft is selling it more as an 'exercise monitor.'

compares it to the Samsung Gear Fit, Fitbit Surge, Basis Peak, Fitbit Charge HR and Jawbone Up3. But (they say) the MB 'receives more notifications,' keeping track of more-than-just-heartrate!

But the information-surge comes at the cost of 'durability' (hampering 'usability,' I'll bet). cNet reports a very buggy interface.

The smartest watch? 'Is the sun in the sky?' ;)

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want one, but I can see how they can be useful if you lead a life that is so busy. The problem is then you can't switch off at all and you may have to take it off when you fly on a plane. My brother has one, but he hasn't raved about it and he works for one of companies that makes them. It was a matter of time before they brought out a smartwatch, but if they get more affordable then people will use them, like cellphones.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of the smartwatch, the screen is too small to offer any exceptional functionality in my opinion. I would much rather use the money for a better smartphone and data plan instead.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smartwatches aren't going to truly take off until they no longer need to be paired with a smartphone. That's when their sales will explode. Manufacturers are currently just pushing more and more of these devices because growth will be available for the foreseeable future, since most people don't own one. The demand for smartwatches at the moment is extremely low as far as consumers are concerned. Eventually the manufacturers' push to make these devices popular will succeed, though.

9. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    They're strange. They seem like it'd be hard to navigate since they're such a small size compared to a regular smartphone screen. I'd have to see how well they work for myself. Seens like there's quite a bit to do on them as well which is neat, but I just don't think I like the idea of having a smart watch. I'd rather just use my smartphone. It would be cool though for if you had a high end job.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I
    I think the smartwatch is neat but it is basically an expensive gadget. I mean if you have a smartphone, why do you need a watch? I mean it is essentially a status symbol. That being said, it doesn't mean that I would turn it down I I got one. Try Woot.com for discounts on a smartwatch. I know they have excellent prices on fitbits.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the idea and concept of smart watches, however it's all still in the very beginning and I think they are still very limited in what they can do for me to get some interest. I think they will really be cool and worth the money in a couple of years when they have perfected the idea and get more stuff on the watches.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of smart watches at all. I think if you have money to burn, it's a great toy to have. I'm not sure I'd buy it even if I were really minted. I know if not just a watch, it's a lot more than that, but I don't do watches. I'd much rather spend all that money on a really nice smart phone or a tablet. Come to think of it, I don't know any one person who owns one. I wonder if they'll really catch on, or just die a slow death.

13. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly want to own one because it looks cool and a new technology always piques my curiosity since we are in an age where the latest gadget could be the next big thing. I am actually thinking about hover boards and why they are not yet available this 2015, contrary to how Back to the Future predicted. But what puts me off is how expensive they are and how it would be difficult to navigate them. I have seen a preview in CNN as to how it was used and one of my thoughts was how small the screen of the watch was and it would be difficult to navigate with large hands or fingers.