Smartwatches vs regular watches

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Apr 7, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smartwatches are the next big trend after the smartphones I'm pretty sure of it. For now they are still expensive and some of them unreliable, but I think that soon enough they will replace regular watches. Do you own one? How do you see them?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own one yet and honesty, I don't even plan on buying one. As I see it, they offer some of the functionality of a smartphone in a much smaller package which I find impractical. Also, since the tech is rather new the prices are kinda big for my wallet right now. I'm sure they'll get some traction in the future and more people will start using them, but just as digital watches didn't replace mechanical ones, the smart ones won't replace the ones we use now. Instead the market will split and we'll have smart, digital and mechanical watches being used together :)

3. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I've seen only a handful of people already sporting these new watches. I can't see them catching on as much as smartphones. For most, it's just another superfluous device, at least for the time being. As for replacing regular wristwatches, not a chance. It's not like Rolex is jumping on the smartwatch bandwagon (yet!)

4. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I am going to be honest I really don't see the point to the Smartwatch. Maybe someone here who has knowledge with them or has used one can tell us differently, but to me it seems like it's just wasted space on your wrist. I really don't know what the benefit to them is.

5. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    I don't see smart watches becoming used by the public often but how would I know. I don't own one and don't plan to get one but they don't seem very good right now. It's like when Iphone came out first. It was not very great but it took off like crazy. I think if they put the flexible LED screens on there, it would be much better.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    The old school watches will always be my thing. At the moment am thinking about smartwatches but their prices are just high. But with the traditional watch you can get something great at a reasonable price.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I as many others am somewhat resistant to technology, but at the same time if I'm going to buy a watch, why not buy a smart one that can connect with my smartphone, that has great apps to do sport and that can make my life easier. The prices are higher in some models right now, but it's a matter of time until they come down.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like smartwatches at all to be honest, and I also don't like to wear a watch nowadays, because it makes my arm feel "bulky". I don't think that I will be buying one soon. Besides, it's also expensive, and I certainly don't want to waste my money on a watch.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, if you don't like watches I would not expect that you would like smartwatches. Sure that they are expensive, but some of them have the same price of a regular watch and the functionalities of a smartphone, so I can see only advantages in this. I think regular phones will be replaced in a couple of years.

10. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I would want a watch that shows me the correct time. Anything more smarter would be a strict 'NO' from me. I'll leave all the smarter stuff for myself and my 'SMARTphone'. Maybe I'm too 'old-fashioned', but that's me. I would like the stuff to do what they are supposed to do(smartphone being an exception).

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty sure that was the mentality when smartphones started coming out :) "I just want my phone to make calls and send texts, nothing else". So I imagine in a few years the smartwatch will be the norm, they might even replace smartphones if they start also handling calls and texts...

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, I find funny that you have a smartphone and make such a conservative speech. Pretty much like Strykstar says, when people see that even the smartphone can be replaced by the smartwatch they will start to think in a different way because smartwatches can be more practical than smartphones, no question there.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    These tech blogs are cracking me up. They were so quick to jump on the smart watch bandwagon, that when companies like Samsung came out with theirs first, they were initially giving them great reviews. Now several months later they are owning up that these products sucked and that there are (supposedly) much better newer models on the way. I have a feeling it's going to be the same old hype machine all over again, they will rave about the second round of smartwatches then a few months later admit that those sucked too. Companies such as Samsung are already ditching Android and using their own proprietary OS'es on these, so I think it's worth waiting a while longer for the dust to settle before purchasing one.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Again, isn't that exactly what smartphones went through when they came out?
    Everyone loved the iPhone, but as soon as the iPhone2 came out, the old one was called garbage, and that cycle still continues today, just ask a few people if they think you should buy an iPhone 3... People will call you crazy.
    People are fickle and only love the newer model that is out, that's the same with everything.

15. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    I have to disagree.

I do not think the Smart Watch will ever become popular. I do not think the average consumer will understand the product. Why would they buy a SmartWatch to do something their Smart Phone already does?

The SmartWatch will never sell to the average consumer. It will be specifically a novelty purchase

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is AB91000 that smartwatches will not make the same things the smartphone does, they have different functions, and even in the equal and similar functions they have, the watch is in the wrist, you don't have to get it from the pocket and you have both hands free, a huge plus for me.

17. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Peninha, as soon as there is a higher quality smartwatch with more functionalities, especially if it can make phonecalls, it can really start to catch on, regardless of whether there will still be smartphones around or not.

18. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather own a smart watch as opposed to a regular watch as i would find no use for a regular watch and would tend to forget it on a regular basis. So a smart watch would be really nice and handy in my opinion. I think that it has to be a good price for me to consider buying one as at the moment, my smart phone is much more useful.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that with time more and more people will reach that conclusion lovemwaf, in fact I think that all watch users with time will realize, if I am using a watch, why not a smartwatch that does the same and more. And soon enough the prices between the two will not be that different.

20. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    The second generation of smartwatches is here but it still falls short of replacing a smartphone. They are large and bulky still and the small screens are not going to give way to larger ones as they are intended to be worn as a watch, It is great if your watch can act as a phone but as a display, it is too small to do much more than tell time. While the technology will keep improving, I think that the smartwatch may be a gadget that goes nowhere.