Smartwatches vs regular watches

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Apr 7, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Give it time, we'll see what the smartwatch companies can come up with to handle those problems.
    They could come up with flip-watches to have a second screen :)
    Looking more into the future, I think there is the possibility of expandable screens with new materials.

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just yesterday I was watching a giant outdoor from Samsung and along with their smartphones there was already a smartwatch appearing there, so with smartwatches appearing on advertising they will start being something common in our life soon enough.

3. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    That is not true.

If smart Watches have different functions, name one? You can't. There is nothing that you are going to be able to do with a Smart Watch that you can't already accomplish with your Smart Phone. That is a virtual certainty. It is a fact.

Smart phones are much more powerful devices. There is no way that a Smart Watch can offer a user something new, in terms of functions.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know AB, I've read that the smartwatches can monitor the condition of your car. Can your phone do that as well? As soon as specialized watches start to appear more and more functions will be restricted to them I am assuming.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think they will ever completely replace regular watches, at least in the near future, because the biggest difference is still present wherein you don't have to charge your regular watches daily as you would a smartwatch. Maybe someday when battery technology finally reaches its peak and we'd only have to charge it about once a month it can be more viable as a contender but as of now I think it is more novelty than utility.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true, regular watches have a battery that sometimes can last well over one year, while smartwatches in some cases need to be charged on a daily basis, so that's an inconvenience. Though, we can't compare the services offered by a smartwatch and a regular watch.

7. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I feel like normal watches alrady serve their purpose well, to be able to check the time without having to pull your smartphone out of your pocket or ask for the time. A smartwatch seems to also be much more fragile than a normal watch. Lastly, no matter how classy a smartwatch looks, with shiny links and all, it still looks quite gauche next to a normal watch, and wearing it in formal functions is a bigger no-no.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure that regular watches serve their purpose well, but smartwatches are the next level Nate. Just remember, landlines served their purpose well right? But these days everyone has a mobile phone or a smartwatch, it's just the next step on evolution.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Smartwatches are a needless accessory IMO. You sync the watch with your smartphone and get notifications of updates on social media, etc, etc without having to get your phone out. But when you want to respond to those won't you get your phone out anyway? Where's the convenience then? Tech companies just want to milk more and more money from the pockets of consumers. Next we'll be hearing of smart rings. Smart this, Smart-that. Hey, they already have smart pens out . . .

10. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Smartwatches are those type of products that aren't really needed but most will still buy. It literally is the Nintendo Wii of the watch wearing world. You buy it because it looks cool and has hyped up features. Though, after a while you realize that you don't really need it and it is not really needed unless something else comes up.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From that perspective, what do we really need Viper? We live in a consumerist world and most things we buy we don't really need, but at the same time we buy them because we can afford them and they make our life more convenient...

12. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I am with @prettycolors on this one. I have already reached a fatigue point with all these electronics (well I am an avid user and use as much of automation as I can) but I guess I am not digging this. I do see that there are all the health benefits that it is supposed to bring and I am not certain it will help. I have a phone with about 5 to 6 health and fitness apps and none of them agree on the number of steps I have taken on any day, ever. I do not want to suffer anxiety looking at this half baked figures daily and I think it is counter productive. I would rather have peace of mind.

13. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    I'll probably eat my own words, but I really don't see the point of smartwatches. I understand that they can act as nice supplement to smartphones, as in you can access some phone functions without pulling out your smartphone. That in itself isn't really compelling enough to buy one. I bet though in a few years there'll be smartwatch functions developed that will change the game. Then we'll wonder how we ever lived without them!

14. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    As a complement to a smartphone, I cannot see myself using a smartwatch. Not yet. However, if a smartwatch can replace my smartphone, then I will seriously consider getting one. That's provided it's waterproof.

15. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It is nice to have a smartwatch, I heard they do a lot of wonders to make life easier. But it is so pricey and I am not willing to spend that much for a watch. Maybe one day when the prices are already affordable. As of now, I am contented with using my old reliable watch that has been with me for ages.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know much about these watches, and I'm not really a gadget person. So I'm not one of those people who're scrambling to get their hands on one. I actually believe that watches are a dying breed. I know that many people will say yea but this is not just a watch, it's a smart watch. I still say it's an outrageous waste of money. The main thing you want a watch for is to tell the time. -and as for all the other functions, we already have gadgets designed specifically for those. But hey, each to their own; if you want it and you can afford it, why not?

17. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    All I ask from my watch is that it tells the time accurately and keep out the water. I had one watch which I bought for just 3.50usd and it lasted for years. Now it's still working but I have shelved it to get a new one. Same brand. Same reliability. Same good price.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go with regular watches any day of the week. I'm not saying that smart watches aren't better than regular watches, but I don't see the point in them when you have a more powerful tool in the form of your smart phone. And regular watches provide men with the slick and grandeur that smart watches fall short of. Call me old fashioned but nothing beats the added fashion value of regular watches.

19. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    You have a point there. Smartwatches are still at the stage of being gadgets. That is a long way from regular watches which have already established a niche in fashion. Wearing a smartwatch as a fashion accessory has about as much fashion value as, say, wearing a plastic bracelet.

20. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own one yet but I'm never really an early adopter. I don't even wear a watch so that's another issue. But once the prices come down and I can genuinely find a reason for getting one, I'll pretty likely get one. But I was slow with the iPod, slow with the iPhone and have never had a tablet. So I wouldn't expect any changes soon.