Smoke Detectors

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Dec 4, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My parents smoke detector has finally bitten the dust, and after the pips at 6 a.m. I climbed up to see that the battery had gone. Now it's time to replace it and while the fire brigade can come and fit one for free, I prefer to have one where it's more convenient for my parents, so if they need to look at it they don't have to climb on a chair as they are elderly now.

Where is the best place to put the detector, right now it's on the ceiling outside the kitchen, but I thik above the door maybe better. Any thoughts?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I think your suggestion is good above the door is fine if they have to climb a chair they will at least have a wall to hang on to but I hope they can reach above the door wthout having to use one. I remember a friend actually place her parents smoke detector at the side of the kitchen door where even her short mother was able to reach it.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread is a reminder to me about security gadgets for our home. I have procrastinated for so long in buying CCTV for our house and now I realize that we also need smoke detectors. But since the holiday season is just around the corner, maybe I have the reason to procrastinate some more.

The best place for smoke detectors is in the kitchen and living room. Maybe you can also put one in the garage but I don't think it is very necessary.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a bungalow and the ceilings aren't high, but neither parent should be climbing if I can help it. Maybe I can do it at arms length by the side of the door?

My concern is that they could injure themselves more by testing it or changing the battery, but to have it somewhere that doesn't look too obvious either.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I know what is smoke detector by name. But I don't know how does it work. Several years ago, I was undergoing a training on banking in the Central Bank in the capital city of our country. It has an 18th storeys. I noticed that every ceiling there was a gadget that looks like a miniature shower. I had not idea for what purpose it is being installed. Since we are talking about smoke detector, is a smoke detector? Or is it designed to spray water in case that portion of the building especially the ceiling is on fire or below it.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If there is one appliance or household item that I could go without and not really miss, I think that it is this one. I mean I know it is there for good reason, but it is always either broken or falling off in my home.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best area to place it is next to a kitchen table top. That way, they can use a chair but not fully depend on the chair alone. They can set their knee on the kitchen top and hold on to that instead. It's like longer and higher stair steps. The chair also leans toward the flat surface so that it won't slip.