Smoking around pets

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Aug 16, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I have some relatives who seem to really adore their dogs but I find it a form of abuse when they smoke around them. The dogs from time to time will have crazy wheezing fit and I'm pretty sure its from second hand smoke. And one of their other dogs recently passed away, and I can't help but think its from them smoking around him! The poor dog can't get away from the smoke so I think that's kind of sad. Why shorten your pets life that way. But when your a hard smoker I guess you can't help it. Do you know people that smoke around their pets?

#1Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately yes. In fact I know people who smoke around babies. I really don't understand why some smokers are so selfish. I don't see why they can't just go smoke outside the home, away from pets, kids and other people. I know smoking it's an addiction, but why not keep it a private thing instead of harming others in the way. There's plenty of research that says second hand smoke is harmful to pets. If anyone is interested I found this great article about how smoking affects your pets health:

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I smoke, and I always make sure to smoke outside my house or lean out the window so the smell doesn't linger around the house, just because I want to be respectful of other people and the little critters that live in my house. I don't understand how people do it either, just because you want to smoke, doesn't mean everyone/everything else should have to deal with it.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose smoking around pets will eventually harm them same way someone who inhales secondhand smoke for a long time can cause lung cancer. Smokers should respect the rights/freedoms of others and their pets if they really care about them. If someone has to smoke let him/her do it away from all nonsmokers, furry friends included. But each to his own I suppose. If they think that cigar smoke is not bad for their pets . . .

5. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    None of my friends or relatives smoke with their pets in the house. Most of my friends don't smoke at all, but the ones that do always do it outside. Second hand smoking should definitely be characterized as abuse. After all, it has been proven that it affects humans, why would it be any different with animals? Given the size of their lungs, it might even be worse! But not only animals, people should be forbidden to smoke near their children.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a really good point you are bringing up. I have often thought the same when watching people smoke while their pets are sitting nearby. Even when I was smoker, many years ago, I was acutely aware of people and animals around me, and would always avoid smoking in their presence. Smoking is such a filthy habit. I wish all smokers would have the common sense to get out of everyone's way and indulge in their cigarettes only in wide open spaces, or not at all.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah my brother is a chain smoker and he smokes around pets when he is outside, but not that close to the dog since he smokes in the front yard most of the time. Oh well, we can't really do anything about his habit, and luckily, our pets don't really get exposed to the smoke that often.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke and it's a personal choice. I recommend anyone who does smoke not to do so in front any living creature - human beings, pets and plants included. The thing about smoking is that it's more potent when it's inhaled. So when you're smoking, the one who gets damaged more will be the person, animal or plant standing right next to you. They bear the impact more than you do. As much as possible, smoke when you're alone or away from living things.

9. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a heavy smoker but I always consider other people's health so I don't smoke in a places where people or pets can get affected. I've always felt guilty about smoking so I kicked the habit a long time ago. It's not easy to stop smoking but if one can't quit right away then the least they can do is to stop smoking in places where other individuals (pets or humans) are around.

10. sammwich

sammwichNew Member

Threads:
    I smoke but havent really stop to think what it might do to my pets? i make sure i smoke outside but i still dont allow my kids anywhere near me but to be honest i havent actually thought about the animals until now. i guess if it harms humans it has to be harmful to animals?

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it's an enclosed or tiny space then yes I agree that it's best to be safe about it and just go outside to smoke. I'm not entirely sure about how proven second hand smoke is in terms of harmfulness, but I think it's best to just play it safe, especially when around children or pets. Maybe on some rare occasions it might be okay but as a daily habit I think it is risky.