Smoking in the car

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by prettycolors • May 22, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If you're a smoker, do you smoke in car?

That blasted smoke gets in the seats, heck, even in the plastic - so try selling that car to a non-smoker. He'll never buy it! Or you'll be forced to sell your auto a lot cheaper. My grandpa used to smoke inside his car and you could smell him coming home from a mile away. I guess that was the point I decided in that I'll never smoke inside my car. Luckily, I quit a few months ago so I'll never have to test that decision :eek:

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a smoker I used to smoke in the car, in my house, everywhere, it was nasty. I used to smoke under my old monitor that used to be white and it turned yellow, so imagine what it does to a car. I've matured with age and I've quited smoking, but if I still smoked I would not do it in the car.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really against to anyone who smokes in a car I'm in. It's not that I will not tolerate it but it's my body system who will not tolerate it. I will get a very bad headache, and it destroys my mood so bad. I can't stand tolerating by being the one to cover my mouth and nose all the times until the person is done with his cigarette.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a non-smoker as is my husband. We have a smoke free house and three vehicles. Everyone that comes over to visit know that they aren't to smoke anywhere in or around my home or vehicles. They all go towards the road to smoke and will hold their habit if in vehicle until we get to where we are going.

I honestly don't see how smokers ruin their property by smoking in or around but I can say, mine will last longer with the attention it gets.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a car owned previously by a smoker and am well aware of how it takes to get the smell out. I would never allow anyone to smoke in the car. I know one smoker who only ever smokes outside of his car and I'm surprised more don't, because he is the only one that I know of.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have never smoked but have a lot of family members that smoke in the car. Since most of us live in our cars I can see why people smoke in theirs. However, I never understood why it was dangerous to smoke near gas pumps but safe to smoke inside the car; seems kind of close to me. Also, if it is unsafe to manage your cell phone, then I would think smoking could present a similar danger. And lastly, it is really hard to get that smell out of ones clothes. So either your friends who are driving in the car are going to go to work, school, etc in a cloud of smoke, or the person who buys the car next is going to think, 'nice car but it really smells like smoke'. And I don't think it helps when you flick the ash out the window either, that smoke can really sneak into every corner of the car no matter how hard you try. I guess if I was a smoker and had an old car like a beat up work truck; then I wouldn't care. But if I had a brand new car that I hoped to make money off again one day, I would not allow anyone to smoke in it.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a smoker but would not like if someone smokes in my car or any other car that am in. I think it is just common sense that the smoke is not healthy to you and the other people why smoke it to where people are? Especially for the cars the breathing space is limited.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only would or would allow it in older cars, but if the car is a good one and is brand new, then I really would try as much as possible not to let it happen for the same reasons you've expressed. The smell just gets in the seats and some people highly dislike it. I have to admit that I personally like it, though, but I understand that it's more of an acquired taste and is certainly a lot more pungent than a new car smell. I wouldn't be too strict about it, however, as I'd most likely still allow it once or twice as if it's not done often then it doesn't really have that much of an effect.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's totally disrespectful to smoke in closed spaces and this includes the car. I think that if we want o hurt our health (and waste our money while doing it), it's really a right we have, but we don't have the right to do that to others. Our liberty ends when the the liberty of others begin!

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We occasionally do smoke in the car, but we don't prefer this because whenever that we do the smell lingers for a long time in the car. Honestly the smell is pretty bad. Smokers are only able to smell its awful smell when they are not smoking. So during the time we're not smoking and we're in the car, the smell really makes us uncomfortable so we avoid to have that linger in the car, so we rarely smoke in the car.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a non-smoker allergic to smoke so smoking around me is not acceptable, not in the car, not in the house,no where near me. A person that is a heavy smoker can walk past me and I can smell the smoke on their clothes and it makes we short of breath. I have had to refuse a ride because the person smoked in the car and I could not breath in the car. Smoke gets in the fabric and it is hard to get it out.

12. JoshTheboss

JoshThebossMember

Threads:
    No I don't. It would be VERY unfair to passengers if I did. I am not a pack a day smoker, but I do enjoy cigarettes. Anyways, it would be very rude and disrespectful to those who travel with you. Unless, that is, you travel alone. Why smell worse than you already will?

13. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    OP is partially correct. In the long term, constantly smoking in the car does leave a residual smell and stains the seats. However, for an average smoker, I don't think that this is such a big problem. Some insurance policies 'take off points" if you're a smoker, but if you're trying to sell a car it should not detract from the value of the car, as a whole. It would be very nice of you to get the car completely cleaned and detailed to eliminate the smoke smell. Some people simply won't buy a car if it's smoky, no matter how good of a deal it is. So, if you are OK with it, then you can find a nice deal purchasing a smoky car.

Also, if you lease a car from a dealership, they may penalise you for the smoke smell. I would say it depends on the dealership. in any case, a good detailing job should take away most of the smell.

14. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think this certain places that people should not be allowed to smoke. The car being one of them. I think that a car is a very valuable and highly prized possession. And so if you can see the value in your car then I don't see why you'd want to spend your time smoking in the car. I think it really degrades the value of the car and does not do justice. If you smoke I would recommend that you find a better place to smoke and somewhere that would not really leave your car stained. Also a car is something invite other people into and so the smell of smoke may not be so inviting.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke, and one of my pet peeves is people smoking inside their cars. My dad was a heavy smoker, and he would light up a cigarette every time we got into the car. I used to hate that... This week I had a terrible flu (still recovering) and when I went with a coworker to a meeting in the other side of town he smoked all the way there. I could barely breath because of my flu and he couldn't care less! Smoking in your car, specially when someone is with you, is so rude!

16. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Bottom line, if you smoke, you gonna smoke wherever you can. That expalins why when you but a used car, you can always tell if the previous owner was a smoker or not.

17. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Smoking in the car is quite disgusting... I knew some people who even had the ceiling of the car become yellow because of the smoke!
    I gave up smoking 5 years ago and I usually don't let people smoke in my car, but I'll occasionally break the rule and I don't even care that much.
    But most of the time, smoking in the car is a no no.

18. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a smoker. Most of my family are not smokers either. I only have one or two friends that do smoke, most of them have quit. I do not allow smoking in my car, and my friends know and respect that. It is my car, not theirs. If I am in a smoker's car, I know I am and must be willing to let them smoke in their own car. That is their right. Do I like it? No, but it's not my car. Most of the time when I am in a smoker's car, they will ask me if it is okay if they smoke. I say something along the lines of I don't smoke, but it's your car. Usually then, they will wait until we are out of the car to smoke. I say their actions are based on their manners.

19. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Not smoking in the car has it's advantages if you plan on selling your car. I've never smoked so I can't share my experience there, but I would most definitely be riding in a car that was owned by a non smoker. I can' t stand the smell of smoke especially cigarettes. If i ever became a smoker, it would have to be when i was having a drink only.

20. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I am in the process of quitting smoking. Its been 12 days but when I did smoke, I didn't smoke in the car or the house. I agree the smell does get into everything and isn't pleasant. Also, cars don't have the same resale value if you have smoked in it.