Smoking in the car

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by prettycolors • May 22, 2014.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone who smokes in their car, smells ten times worse than those who don't. I have a friend that smokes in her car and that's what she smells like.. a smoked in car. It's horrible. I smoked for many many years and I had no idea how bad it was until I quit and could smell the difference.

2. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I am an ex-smoker. I have gone almost 43 days without a cigarette. I have a small son, and I would NEVER smoke in a vehicle with him. That is an extremely confined area, even with the windows down. Even when someone smokes indoors, you can smell the smoke on everything, and a car is so much smaller than that. I used to always smoke outside, but even then, secondhand smoke still lingers.

I do not judge smokers. I don't care if people smoke cigarettes. However, I do think if with all of this research available, someone is smoking in a small car with a child, that definitely is not a wise choice, and it can lead to a lot of health issues.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it is pretty obvious that smoking is something that harms our health and the health of those around us, so smoking in the car or in any other closed space (sometimes even public spaces) it's something really selfish that I would not do if I was a smoker.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not think smoking in car is really good for people. It produces a chemical in car that is really bad for your health. I do believe it all depends on the kind of person you are sitting next to.

5. muddypoultry

muddypoultryNew Member

Threads:
    Couldn't agree more OP. The smell of smoke really soaks in and it's extremely off-putting to any non-smokers. I definitely believe in smoking anywhere but the car.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I can't stand seeing people smoke in the car when there are passengers, especially with children around, I get really tick off. Smoking in any enclosed area is really bad, and the smell does linger on for a while.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've smoked in many of my cars for over 20 years now. You can get the smoke smell out as long as you're careful with how you smoke in the car and keep your windows rolled down while smoking (or at least half way). Damages from burns however, are another story.

Of course, if you are chain smoking in your car regularly and keep the windows rolled up and ash in an ash tray, that will make the smoke smell much stronger. I would always keep my window down, even in the middle of winter, and ash out the window. I know it's terrible to litter and throw the butts out the window too, but I would mainly only do that on highways, not city streets. I never let a collection of used cigarettes build up in my car and remain in there. What I normally do is keep a used water bottle, with a little left in the bottom, and drop my used smokes in there so they stop burning, then I toss the bottle as soon as I get out of the car.

Also make sure your heater/air conditioner is set to pull in fresh air and not recycle the existing air in the car. As long as your drivers window is open and your fans are on pulling fresh air into the car, most of the smoke will get sucked out the window before it has a chance to circulate in the car.

Cleaning strength vinegar also works really well to get the smoke residue off your windows, especially your windshield. It also works good to wipe down the vinyl.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm very happy that most of you pals have shared your story about quitting smoking, smoking is certainly not good, it does more damage to the body than anything else. Also, for those who used to smoke in their cars, did you notice how the roof inside of the car changed in color from being really white or grey to really black from all frequency of the smoking? Imagine if smoking does that to a car's roof, what it'll do to your soft lil lungs!

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind if people smoke in the car in the spring/fall with the windows down. that's not a huge issue for me. I DO mind if you're trying to smoke in the car in the winter/summer with the windows up & the heat/AC is on. That is a no no.

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a smoker but I don't smoke in the car. Or in the house or anybody's house for that matter. I think this has more to do with respect rather than smoking. Me choosing to smoke could impact on a lot of people, not just myself healthy wise so when I do smoke I make sure its away from anywhere it could cause offence, cars, indoors, shop doorway, that kind of thing...

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate when someone is smoking in the car. As you said, the whole car is smelly, and you don't have anywhere to escape the smoke, even if the windows are down.

12. PaulSpec

PaulSpecNew Member

Threads:
    I have had a car owned previously by a smoker and am well aware of how it takes to get the smell out. I would never allow anyone to smoke in the car. I know one smoker who only ever smokes outside of his car and I'm surprised more don't, because he is the only one that I know of.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I HAVE smoked in my car but with the window rolled down. I'd rather not get cigarette smoke smell stuck in my vehicle because it's the worst smell in the world to most people. I tend to avoid getting in the car with people that smoke, too. I haven't smoked in about three years anyways.

14. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Smoking inside a car is bad as it would damage the interiors and you are bound to inhale your own second-hand smoke. It's even worse if you are insensitive to fellow passengers. I don't think such a scenario would arise though. For a compulsive smoker, car perfumes and fresheners can help.

15. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I don't smoke neither does my husband but our fathers do and we have a no smoke policy. We do not allow smoking in our home or our car, if you want to smoke you have to go outside. We have two kids and we find it disgusting the residue it leaves behind, its just very dirty and unhealthy.

16. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I hate it when people smoke in the car. I don't allow it in my car.
    If you do smoke in your own car and want it to not stink really bad 24/7, try these two tips.
    1)Don't run the fan when smoking. The fan pulls some air in from the cabin, and the smoke residue will stick to the insides of the duct work. Once you fire up the fan again it will spew out stinky/smokey air.
    2) Don't leave buts in the ashtray. Empty your ashtray into a garbage if you have any buts in it. Old buts will stink up the car! PLEASE don't just toss your buts out the window though, they don't biodegrade and it's the exact same as any other type of liter.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I don’t smoke, but until recently I had to share a car with a heavy smoker and it was awful. That smell was like its own entity, and it would attack me every time I stepped into the car. I was paranoid I always walked out of there reeking of stale smoke, but apparently I didn’t. Granted, I drove with the windows down as often as possible, so that probably helped air things out a bit.

18. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    well i do not smoke but I do not allow anyone to smoke in my car, and I don't care who they are. Smoke gets into the fabric and on clothes and after awhile it starts to really stink. Its difficult to get rid of the smell and often times my sinus acts up when I smell the smoke.

19. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    The odour stays in there for a way too long period of time, and I'm not fond of it, to be honest. When I smoke, I make sure it's somewhere that it doesn't affect my belongings, be it my car or my apartment. It's better to prevent than cure, that's a sure thing! I can't understand those people who smoke in their cars, but I guess everyone with their little "traditions", haha.