Snacks You Can Eat Cold

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Mar 17, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Some of you might find this gross but I sometimes can eat pizzas and burrito wraps without heating them, although I only ever do it out of necessity or laziness and I could never do so regularly as I still prefer them heated up. I also like cold sandwiches that I get from convenience stores and even though I'm given the option to heat it up at their microwave I never do because I actually prefer these ones cold for some reason.

I think these options are most useful in long trips wherein you are stuck in a car for long periods of time and you don't have access to heating equipment, which is why I always bring sandwich types that I wouldn't mind eating cold on these occasions.

Do you have favorite snacks you could or prefer to eat cold?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of hot snacks myself - especially the sort you heat in the microwave. I find they are nuclear on the outside yet stone cold in the middle. If I want a snack, I want to be able to eat it straight away, without having to wait for it to cool.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't consider pizza, burrito wraps and sandwiches to be snacks. Those are meals as far as I'm concerned. Snacks, to me, are more like packs of crackers, nuts, fruits, sweets of all kinds and maybe a very small bowl of cereal. You know, those kinds of things.
    I guess, though, if you're someone who can eat pretty much anything you lay your eyes on without gaining a lot of weight then sandwiches and those other goodies you mentioned might be merely snacks.

4. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer pizza room tempature rather than hot. It seems sturdier and tastier. Burritos are so good, cold, hot, whatever, just let me eat them. I consider fries a snack, but I can not eat them cold. I snack on battered veggies and I can eat them cold. I remember when I was younger, I would love the turkey the day after on a cold sandwich. Cold sandwiches are refreshing.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I only tend to eat snacks when I'm out and about and have to eat on the go, and even then I normally choose the usual, boring pies or a sandwich.
    Or sometimes I go for the healthy option, a bag of crisp and a chocolate bar...!

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Did you mean unhealthy :p

I actually prefer cold snacks, be it a slice of pizza or a sandwich. Another great option is a small fruit salad or a bowl of yoghurt.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes! I can totally do the chocolate bar. Particularly if it contains nuts. Even my granola bars must have chocolate and nuts in them. Fruit, too, preferably.

Ah, forget the granola. I love Cadbury's fruit and nut bars. MMM delicious.

Anyone know any main dishes with a chocolate element? That would be right down my alley.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of snacks in general. The only cold snacks I like are things like dairy which is supposed to be cold obviously. That's why I went hungry a lot when I was in school. Other than that I'll eat some celery with ranch dressing on occasion but that's about it I think.

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I like the Kind bars they have. The one with coconut is probably my favourite. I also like snacking related items like roasted chickpeas or green bean chips.

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    hard boiled eggs, nuts, chunks of cheese and meat. summer sausage. packets of tuna (I like ranch or lemon pepper flavor straight from the packet). sliced sweet bell peppers or other veggies. canned veggies straight from the can.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I happily admit to enjoying a snack warm or cold. I like to make my own pasta salad, I eat hummus in a wrap or dip crackers into it, quiches or frittatas are great cold and cold pizza is wonderful for breakfast or as snack. I also like savory muffins or scones, especially cheese ones and are great hot or cold.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a small corner grocer near my grandparent's house that used to sell fried fish when I was younger. The weird thing was though, they would fry the fish, then chill it and have it available in deli window near the deli meats and cheeses. Perhaps they just didn't want to invest in a hot window as well. Anyhow, you would buy a few pounds of it, then bring it home and heat it up in the oven. Except I usually couldn't wait and would eat it cold - it was so good too, even cold. I'm not sure what type of fish it was, either cod or haddock, but it was really big and thick and it would break apart into huge chunks - it wasn't some cheap thin Tilapia or Smelts anything like that.

I've also been known to "snack" on cold hot dogs when I'm standing at the fridge, grazing on meats and cheeses.

When my mom used to buy the concentrated orange juice in the little cans, I would always eat the stuff right out of the can before she could put it into the pitcher, lol.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat processed foods, so I think.. at least off the top of my head, pretty much everything I eat can be eaten cold.

14. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I did eat cold pasta, cold pizza, and cold meat that is already cooked like chicken or hamburger. Sometimes I don't feel like heating something up in the microwave and it still is very tasty. I think a snack can be mostly any food that you want.

15. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I like eating cold pizza, so I do not find you strange at all. I also sometimes eat left over nachos cold too, soggy chips and all! My favorite cold snack is meat, cheese, and crackers because it is flavorful and satisfying. I will sometimes have a granola bar, but I want something real that is going to hold me over until dinner during the most active part of my day.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A cold snack for me is yogurt. I like to eat granola cereal with my yogurt also as a snack. Crackers and peanut butter is another great snack for me. Cold pizza is not appealing to me.

17. missfortune81

missfortune81Member

Threads:
    I am the rare one who enjoys cold or room temperature pizza more than hot. I will often cook a meal and let others eat it hot while I wait for the food to get to room temperature. I don't know why this is.

I also like room temperature beer and hate it when it's too cold. I enjoy the taste of beer and feel like I can't taste it when it is too cold.

18. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I'm known for someone who can tolerate cold food or meals that turned cold in the family. I honestly don't mind because it just tastes the same for me. I especially love eating cold pizzas, pastas and even soup if and when I can. It isn't weird for me, the temperature just changed! But of course I enjoy warm or hot meals and dishes as well. Nothing beats fresh out of the kitchen food!

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't like eating a cold pizza because the quality of the taste just drops compared to when you eat it fresh from the oven. Pizza is definitely not in my "cold snacks" list. Cakes, cookies, ham and egg sandwiches, waffles, mango float, caramel pudding (well pudding in general), burgers and hotdogs on sticks are snacks I'm likely to eat cold.

20. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, obviously 'ice-cream' and other such things that are supposed to be cold (which I mention mostly to get the mentioning "over-with" :rolleyes:)

But I would be careful with foods that are 'supposed to be cooked,' because I've heard things about 'viruses-etc.' living in uncooked foods. Besides killing the viruses, heating your food also aids digestion (leaving more energy for your body, which has to work harder to digest uncooked food).
    I guess I should mention that the burrito wraps & pizzas (and some sandwiches) have been previously cooked and refridgerated since (just to keep the difference between 'cold & raw' and 'cold & cooked' in sight).