So What Do YOU *HATE* about Facebook?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by mythman • Aug 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I hate more about my Facebook is the way my newsfeed is organized. I mean, I want to see the publications my friends make, but instead I receive always some stuff from some of them, but nothing from others. Who makes that selection? How is that made?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They changed how it works a while ago. Basically, if someone posts a lot and those posts do not receive any comments or likes, then the post/status will descend into the Facebook wasteland and no one will see it. But the more likes and comments it gets, the more it will appear on the timelines of others. That is why every time I post a status, I like my own status. not just because I agree with what I have written. But because more people will see it.

3. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, thanks for the explanation Dreek, but that makes no sense at all. I have very good friends that make very little posts and I would love to see those publications, but I miss them all, it makes no sense at all, how come they are always changing rules without our consent?

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Other than the mediocre privacy settings, nothing. Facebook, like anything else, is what you make it. So I suppose my biggest beef with it isn't so much with Facebook itself, but with all the complaining about what other people do on it. Instead of complaining or judging someone, we should be understanding what's behind what they're doing. Some people feel neglected or lonely or lack SOMEthing in their lives to make them seek the attention online. Some people like to feel connected at all times or want to appear as something they're not, because again.. they're lacking something. I feel bad for them. If something bothers you that much, there are ways to stop seeing those posts or just go ahead and delete them. Life is too short to waste energy on such things.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. But I do feel like Facebook makes it a lot easier for beef to arise, and some of the features even encourage it. It makes it so easy to be passive aggressive with posting statuses, instead of people just sorting beefs out in real life, face to face. I have been guilty of this in the past. I am to blame, of course. But I do feel like Facebook does give a helping hand in destroying bonds and relationships. I like to be invisible at times and so I will just not use it at all.. Then there are other times when I post in a flurry

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

I don't know.. I don't think it has a hand at all. I think our lives are always a reflection of our choices (barring what others do to us.. but even then, much has been invited). Facebook is shady, we all know this. They make the privacy settings weak for a reason and there's a formula behind it all. But they do not tell a man to cheat on his wife with an old flame he found on there. Sure, he likely never would have found her without it.. but if he has so little respect for his wife, something at some point would have led to his cheating anyway. Fights.. choices. Vague, attention seeking posts.. choices. Facebook makes it easier.. but these attitudes would have been manifested somehow in their real lives anyway. Facebook is a good excuse, but nothing more, in my opinion.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yep. That is exactly what I mean. Facebook is shady as hell. But if nobody used it then there would be no opportunity for it to create shade in our lives. I definitely get what you are saying. Once you are on the platform, it is your choice to make of it what you will. Facebook makes it easier for these manifestations to come to fruition. But if the intentions of the people were not there in the first place, there would be nothing for the site to work from ;)

8. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    The question has no limitations. The real question should be, "what do I like about facebook." Just about nothing. Beyond someone taking a trip and flashing some pictures around I really hate the entire concept. I don't like knowing what some one is doing 24 hours a day. I tried face book when it first came out and caught one heckova bug and then infected everyone that "friended" me. Now a few of them still think I have leprosy or something....in person! Another thing I hate is there is no such word as "friended." Well, maybe now there is.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't hate anything about Facebook. But I'm certainly not a fan of how it tells everything I do. Such as what friends I add, what posts I like, and what comments I make. That's really annoying in my opinion. I don't want people knowing everything I do. Other than that, I enjoy the site and use it about every day.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh my God. How in the world could I forget to mention that 'lovely' Facebook feature. It is quite annoying how you have to go into certain settings and turn them off in order to stop your friends from seeing everything that you say and do on Facebook. Even down to like pages. My friends shouldn't know what pages I have liked unless they are too a fan of the page, or subscribed to the page. Luckily I am a very open person. But what if I wasn't?

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Facebook it too big, too complicated, and takes up too much time. I do not use it anymore because of this. I don't have time to waste trying to stay connected to "friends" who otherwise don't have a reason to remember me at all. I don't feel like the relationships on there are very real in most cases. I felt like I didn't know my HS friends after a couple of years even though we were all still on facebook. It's just not for me.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    They keep changing the layout and how it works too. What is strange about this is that when they do change it, I can NEVER imagine the website looking or functioning any other way. It is so strange how the mind works. I find that very few people actually use Facebook to stay connected, even though many claim to use it for just that feature. I have found that people use Facebook just to brag, feel superior, or moan. But then I suppose that that depends on what kind of people you have littering your friend's list. If you have close people, then the superficiality might not be so prominent. But if you have people who you knew from high school, and haven't spoken to in years - people who you don't care about, and don't care about you - then expect a lot of superficiality.

13. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    My annoyances with Facebook are on a couple of levels. One of them is about me, one of them is about other people. I guess when it relates to me, I hate that I allow myself to kill hours of my life that I'll never get back trawling through stuff I never really wanted to know in the first place. Facebook can have a lot of value, but there's a hell of a lot of dross. And when you live vicariously through other peoples' dross you're basically very often dragging yourself down. I realized as much when I went on a Facebook detox for a few weeks and realized how much clear head space I had as a result.

When it comes to other people, I have no interest in cats, photos of lunch, baby pictures, drunken selfies, religious preaching, fake "I'm having the best time of my life. You're not", angry people. My list can go on.

And I'm saying all this stuff as I click on Facebook again. Because for all it's faults, it keeps us connected and it shows us all up for being very human, warts and all. Long may the love-hate relationship continue.

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe that's what a lot of people hang out with their friends for; except rather than 'an uninterrupted sequence of rant-sessions,' they can either 'feel like they're sharing the burden silently' or 'experience the annoying problems together (rather than talk about them).

I hate the "religious preaching" too; mostly because most of it isn't stuff my friends actually composed themselves, but it's mindless echoing of quotes from some holy book (usually from the "Holy Bible.")

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am not sure what you are saying. Yes, people hang out with their friends for a multitude of purpose. But we aren't talking about people hanging out with their friends in person? we are talking about Facebook and the dynamics that it creates, and the purposes that Facebook provides for people. Some people live in different countries from their friends. Facebook is a way to stay connected, in that way. But it doesn't matter who is on the friends list, there are still many people out there who use Facebook for vacuous reasons overall. I am sure that real friendships are maintained over Facebook also though.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that I do hate.. that everyone can see whatever I do if I'm not anal about the privacy settings and ignore anyone with their's set to public lol. Which annoys me, because I want to acknowledge so many great posts, but I also don't want to share my friends' business with the rest of my list. If you're not on their list, why should you have to put up with their posts because they're on mine? lol.

You can always go to your activity log from your profile page and hide much of your activity from others, but you can't hide your interactions with friends who have their privacy set to public, which sucks.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    One of the problems with social media is that it always seems to make being private and keeping safe a fairly difficult job. I have had to type into Google, more than a few times, asking how to make certain aspects of a social media networking website private, because it was not immediately obvious. I consider myself fairly savvy, so when I can't figure it out, they are making it difficult lol. Same thing with Google plus. Them linking it up with Youtube is so very dangerous. There is literally no way for you to stop just anyone from viewing your comments and video activity.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't I know it! I used to be fairly active on Youtube.. a lot of them work hard and I like to show my support (in case you were thinking I was one of those lonely, schizo commenters with mommy issues lol). Ever since they connected everything, I've had to sit on my hands :( I don't want it all connected and connecting yet another email to it all seems like a lot of work.. I'd be spending most of my day signing in and signing out lol. And I refuse to use Google+ which seems like another forced way of being easily found. I have to say.. I detest Google. They're doing a lot for the future of education in so many ways, I admire their direction.. but I loath them for not giving me a living wage for trying to figure out my own privacy and safety from day to day lol

19. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    For the most part I like facebook, and I find it useful as a tool to find out more about certain businesses, or see what my friends might be up to. It is good for getting back in touch with people you have lost contact with. But, as a rule, I tend to be private about certain things, so if you want to share something with only a certain person, or just a few people, once you share it with them, it is out of your control, and now many people know about something that you only wanted two people to be aware of. But then again, it isn't called social media for nothing.

20. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I hate is the constant updates people make for the smallest things they are doing. It is just ridiculous. And some people are always taking photos of themselves and posting them. How self involved can you be ?