Soaking Clothes Before Washing

Discussion in Misc & Others started by remnant • Jul 18, 2017.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Soaking clothes releases and loosens dirt before washing. Its good to
    mix the water with some detergent and stain remover if necessary for
    greater efficiency. This saves on soap consumption as well as the
    labor put into the washing cycle.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I only soak my clothes if the dirt is really heavy, but if not, they go straight to the washing machine. The washing machine does a decent job, but I'm sure the clothes may still contain some dirt and grime, since the rinse is only 1 to 3 times, depending on which option you choose.

3. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree with this. I always soak my clothes before putting into the wash. Especially heavy and soiled items like blankets, jeans and sheets. This helps to loosen the fabric to a considerable extent and also helps protects the wear and tear of your machine.

So whether you are washing by hand or using a washing machine, try soak for half an hour prior and check the difference.

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I find that rubbing a little washing up liquid (not too much) into a stain before a wash is effective when getting rid of a stubborn stain. I do this on my granddaughter's clothes as she often gets something down herself which is hard to get out. If the staining was really heavy and covering most of a garment I would soak it first.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree to this thread. It is a family tradition to soak the dirty clothes before washing especially the soiled clothers. But it’s not only soaking for us. We mix a little soap in the water to help in the loosening of dirt. Soaking also lessens the need for water since rinsing is needed only twice or thrice at the most. By the way, the soaking is only for 30 maximum otherwise the dirt will stay.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless I get a bad stain in some clothing, I never soak clothes before I wash them. I wash a load of clothes at least once a day, and occasionally more often than that because we have little dogs and I wash their bedding pretty often as well.
    I have found that if you wash your clothes every day, then stains and dirt do not have a good chance to soak into the material as they do when you do laundry once or twice a week.
    I do think that soaking is a good idea when you have very dirty clothes. What I sometimes do in this case is put the dirty clothes in the wash machine alone, and wash them in a cold water wash. Then I reset the wash machine before it goes into the rinse cycle, add the rest of the load of clothes, and start over with a warm water wash. this does the same ting as soaking the clothes first does.

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Soaking is a very good idea, I too soak my clothes before putting washing them. It takes so much lesser efforts and also helps save a lot of water as the dirt is removed easily. Even soap is not required much unless there are heavy stains that are difficult to remove.

8. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    I fell in love with soaking clothes ever since I was a kid.I always ensured I was present when my mother would sprinkle the powder into the water, and later delegated the duty of shaking the hands in the water to dissolve and get foam, to me.

Personally I love soaking because I hate washing. Soaking helps loosen the dirt, which makes it easier to wash and rinse. Afterwards, it is advisable to wash, dry and apply cream to your hands to avoid irritation. If I may ask, is it necessary to soak when using a washing machine? Thank you.

9. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    I rarely have time to completely soak clothing, but if there is a stain or heavy soil, I will rub Gain into it about ten minutes before washing. It's amazing! The laundry comes out clean and fresh- stain free!