Soap Making Supplies

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by thisnthat • Nov 1, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I've been seeing a lot of different recipes for making your own soap. I think it would be cool to give it a try. I have no idea where people generally shop for such things or where to get the best deals. I'm sure hobby and craft stores have this stuff, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone in the know.

Do you make homemade soaps? Do you know where to get good quality soap making supplies for good prices?

I think it would be nice to know exactly what is in your soap. I also think this could make some nice gifts.

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    You can make some lovely home-made soap from goats milk which is lovely creamy and moisturizing. If you can't find the items you need from a hobby or craft store, then you can always look online and find what you need.

Lyre can be dangerous to work with so I would recommend reading up on it before going ahead. If you are a little concerned about using lyre, (which I would be!) then you can successfully make soap without it as well. There are many recipes that you can find online and purchase your ingredients from your local store or ebay.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of the soap-making workshop that I was to attend. But unfortunately, the session was cancelled due to lack of participants. I had wanted to learn how to make soap at home because I have many ideas about the scent that I think it is good to combine my love for plants. It’s not much of the flowers but the fruits. How about a soap that smells like banana or mango? Well, maybe this year I can attend that workshop and pursue my dream of making my own soap.

4. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    It would nice to use a home-made soap, but the process of making one might dash the desire. The market price of costliest of the soap is pretty less. So, one might give up after couple of trials. However, home made soaps will definitely be superior in quality and one can try it out from that point of view.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't find home made body soaps worth the material cost. I tried calculatimg once and from the cheapest stuff I could get it was still not worth it.

However, I did find that making bulk washing soap was very worth the efforts.

Ingredients can easily be found at cheaper rates in both offline and online stores depending on your recipe.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you, but I think it really depends on what types of soaps you are comparing. Yeah, if you're talking about the average bar of soap from the supermarket, I can definitely get it cheaper than I can make soap. If you're comparing high quality soaps, I think it might work out differently (although I haven't calculated out all of the costs yet).

As noted, I also like the idea of knowing what is in it, and not having a lot of unnecessary extra chemicals. I have a relative who is super-sensitive to this kind of thing, so I'd love to be able to offer that person some homemade soap as well. I also think it makes nice gifts.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I can definitely see this one working to save people a lot of money. I have always kind of wondered why soap is as expensive as it is, and if you can just make your own then why not and but that out of the budget altogether.