Soda Or Pop

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Pocs • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Pepsi, Coke, Cola, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper the lists goes on as well as the brands. Depending on the area you live in dictates what you may call or refer to them as, soda pop, cola, soda, or just plain ole pop. It all means the same thing, a nice refreshing drink. What do you and the folks call theses drinks in your area?

Depending on the area of the state you can ask for a pop or soda.

2. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I grew up in Maine and it was always 'soda' to me. I'd never heard it called anything else except soft drink. I moved to Nashua, NH when I was 18 and got a job in a little market/deli. A guy comes in and asks me where the 'tonic' is. I'm like, tonic? What kind of tonic are you looking for? I thought he was looking for hair tonic! He thought I was an idiot and I felt like one, too.

3. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    We always called it "Pop" in the Chicago land suburban area's. Ever since I was little I always remember the name "Pop". I really never heard it of any other name! I did not know different parts of different states have their own name for it. I never heard of it being called a tonic. I can understand calling it soda. :)

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    It's always been pop in this part of Canada. The Pop Shop was huge when I was younger. You could go to the store and grab a case of little bottles with every type of flavour you could imagine.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up in the Northeast coast and Ive always call the carbonated beverages "soda". However when I moved to the west coast to California for a period of time, they new I wasn't a native because I didn't use "pop" to refer to drinks. I guess I stood out.

6. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    That's odd, I'm currently living in California and everyone and anyone I've spoken to just referred to carbonated drinks as "soda." I've never heard anyone use "pop" until some tourists called it that.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up in California and I haven't met anyone who says pop. I didn't know that soda was even called pop until I went to school in the Midwest. I would definitely get a strange look if I said pop. The pop people must be transplants from other parts of the US. It's rare to meet a native Californian.

#7Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  8. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I would like for it to be legislated that all sodas be referred to as "soda." When I went to school with people from Chicago, a supposedly hip town, :D and they started asking for "pop," they looked like idiots. I say protect adults from looking like oversized kids and make them say "soda!"

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up in Chicago and the people there call it "pop." I stopped calling it that when I moved to California now I just call it soda. It really doesn't make a difference what it's called it all means the same thing. The term is really soda pop, so some people just cut off the cut the last word, and some cut the first word.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Northeast Ohio here, and most of us call it Pop as well - including me. If you ask for Soda around here at a restaurant, you'll get plain soda water.

11. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I grew up in Detroit and it was definitely "pop" when I went in the military I was stationed in Germany where it was cola. I have lived in Mississippi and where I lived there everyone called it Coke...I remember the first time I ordered a Coke and got asked what flavor LOL I now live in Maryland and get looked at like I have 4 heads if I call it anything other than soda.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I'm from California and we all call it soda. I never heard anyone call it "pop" until I met my friend in Ohio.

13. chocbunny

chocbunnyNew Member

Threads:
    Grew up in New Zealand and its called 'fizzy drink' there mostly. I live in Scotland now and some people up here call it juice!!! I had to ask someone to clarify when they first said it, but coke etc is referred to as 'juice' sometimes here.

14. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Here in South Africa we call it as it is, Diet Coke, Tab, Coke, Pepsi, etc. We categorize all cool drinks that is carbonated, except sparkling mineral water, as fizzy drinks.

15. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I am also from Chicago, and have relocated. So, its still pop for me. Even if it makes me look like an over sizes kid like someone said earlier. What eves ..... Its our midwestern culture, and I am not afraid to own it! lol

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I call it soda. Most of my extended family calls it 'pop' and it drives me nuts because I think it sounds ridiculous. I understand it's a location thing, but I still hate hearing the word. Or worse yet "sodie pop." /cringes

17. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I live in Iowa and we call it pop. When I met my husband (ex-husband) he called it soda. He is from New Jersey. When i first heard him say soda I thought he meant like an ice cream soda. I notice the folks in the south such as in Tennessee they call it coke no matter what kind it is.

18. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I used to drink soda, I would just call it Coke all the time. I wouldn't call it pop, soda, soda pop, etc. Nowadays, when I criticize the beverage, I call it soda. I live in Canada and I'm sure most people call it soda up here.

19. jaruri

jaruriNew Member

Threads:
    Oregonian here, pretty much everyone I know and I myself say soda. It doesn't really matter what you call it though, people usually know what you mean so you can say it any way you want..

20. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I don't really drink much fizzy drinks, but if I HAD to choose, I'll go with Soda. In my area, we have Coke, Pepsi and stuffs like that. I'm not really sure the exact terminology, but yea it shows since I'm not a fan of fizzy drinks to begin with