Soda Or Pop

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Pocs • Aug 5, 2012.

1. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    I live in California, and I've always known it as Soda. I've always found it interesting how different areas know it differently. I had a friend from the East Coast that always called it pop.

2. omgomgomg

omgomgomgNew Member

Threads:
    I live in Texas and I call all sodas coke. It is wierd to travel to other places and hear it called different things, even if I only travel a few hours away for vacation.

3. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    We just call it soda where we live. The only time I EVER heard it called pop was in old tv shows and old movies.

4. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    It's soda here in the US. We're from the South.

5. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    In the North we call it pop!

6. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    Around my area, it's coke, regardless of the flavor/brand. Every once in a while, I'll hear someone call it soda, and I've only heard one person in real life say pop (and they were from a northern state). I prefer soda to the other names, but I usually say I want Coke, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. instead of saying soda or anything else.

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up in a small town in central Illinois. I only remember people calling it soda. I had heard of pop but didn't know anyone who said it. When I moved south, I heard people call it coke. I never had heard that before unless you were talking about the actual brand. Now I no longer have these types of drinks except on a rare occasion, but I will always call it soda.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This is a funny question for me because when I was young, one of my cousins, who visiting from Texas, asked me for soda water. I searched all over the house for baking soda thinking he had gas or something. Finally, I couldn't find any and told him so and he let me know he wanted a soda. I don't think we even said soda back then; if I remember the common term was cold drink, but it was said as if it were one word, coldrink. It's funny to think about it now.

9. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Well in Georgia we call all drinks "coke". It doesn't matter what kind we call it "coke" or "soda water".

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Here in my area, we call them by their product names. For example, we call them coke, sprite, pepsi, pop cola, etc. Its much easier to talk or criticize them when you use their product names.

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Here I was thinking it was just my family that says coke for every soft drink! We have slowly progressed to asking for "soda", and I have only met a handful of people that use the term "pop". I haven't had a soft drink in a while, but if I did, I suppose I would just call it by its brand name to avoid any confusion.

12. Robert E.

Robert E.New Member

Threads:
    I live in Florida and just about everyone says "coke" when referring to a soda. I might go through a drive through, and get asked what I'd like to drink. I'd respond with coke and sometimes they would say "we only have pepsi". I consider them the same thing basically and I sometimes take offense to it. Either way I think maybe "coke" is the prominent term here, because of how abundantly available it is. (not the drink)

13. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up in Florida and we call it 'Coke' here. It doesn't matter if it's Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper, we call it Coke no matter what it is. Except of course if we're ordering a drink, you specify what kind of Coke you want.

14. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up in the south and we called it a "cold drink", but when i'm anywhere else I just call it a soda or drink. I've never called it a "pop" or "sodapop" but I think those names are the cutest.

15. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    Growing up in Seattle I always said "pop" but when I moved down to Los Angeles no one knew what I was talking about when I said "pop" so I gave in and started saying "soda." simple as that!!

16. jonateen

jonateenNew Member

Threads:
    yeah when I got to Vegas in 1997 someone asked me "do you want a pop?" I'm like a "what?" Now I know they were refering to a soda. I just call it soda or maybe even soda pop. The language people speak is different to the way they used to speak. I like Coke a Cola soda but I don't drink soda that much. I think of of it like why put tons of acids in your body, come on it's acid. Pepsi is good too but Coke a Cola wins by being better.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in Ontario Canada and as a child I remember calling it cola or coke (regardless of what it actually was.. all of it was coke lol), until I noticed my friends calling it pop. I thought it sounded so ridiculous and I refused to call it that lol, but it became so ingrained I didn't even notice when I did start using the word. My youngest calls it soda.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, we simply use the term "softdrinks" instead of "sodas". They probably coined that term because they are non-alcoholic beverages.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Soda here in the North East US.

20. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I actually learned about this difference in language in a very awkward manner.
    I remember going into a supermarket and asking how much the soda is and the cashier looked at me like I had three heads. A lady next to me had to tell me it's called pop. I had to chuckle to myself.