Soda Stream

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kalasin • Aug 29, 2012.

1. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:
    I just have to rave about my Soda Stream. I have saved so much money with this thing! Yes, it can be pricey up front- around $100 for the machine, 2 bottles, a sample flavor pack, and CO2 tank. However, I used to spend $10-15 week EASILY on cans of soda. I find the diet soda mix is just as tasty and I also love their diet pink grapefuit, plus the red bull flavor is spot on. A Co2 tank trade in is $15, but at Bed Bath and Beyond, you can use either the $5 off or the 20% off coupons on it. As for the mixes, they are around $5.99, but I normally get them for free. What I do is take my $10 off $10 Kohl's coupon that I get monthly, print out a 20% off coupon for Kohls, use them together to get 2 bottles of mix, and I'm good! The CO2 tank lasts me about 5 weeks and a bottle of mix generally lasts 4-6, so I'm paying about 75% less for soda than I used to, and instead of running to the store every few days, it's every 5 weeks or so!

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    That's a great buy, if it worked so well for you in saving money every week. I am not much of a soda drinker and rarely, if ever, add some to my cocktails. Even my children have, more or less, given up their craze for cola. I now only buy a dozen mini cans every other week. So, a soda stream might not be an essential buy for me!

3. DrowningGirl

DrowningGirlMember

Threads:
    I saw a group deal for this recently and was really interested because I love bubbles! I have a bad soda addiction and I have been off soda for some time now so i don't want to go back on, but I would love bubbly water and tea. Have you tried bubbly tea? I was wondering if it would work for that.

4. benn08

benn08Member

Threads:
    Yeah those things seem really cool, I went to a friend's house and they have one of these machines there. Needless to say, I was addicted to it and realized that you do save money when you use the machine. However, I personally refrained from buying it, as it causes me to have an accessible source of surgery drinks at home, which is usually not the best thing, so by not buying one I'd have to settle for can drinks, which I might not have in the house at all times, which stops me from drinking these bad drinks.

5. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    I heard that this is a great product. A friend has it and the taste is actually really good. But I don't drink as much pop to warrant buying the machine.
    is there any best before dates on the stuff?

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Eh; I would pass on it every time. I can buy a 2 liter for like 75 cents now so it isn't worth my time to go through all this hassle for a weird tasting soda. Then I have to make sure I have a tank ready to go and the list just keeps going on as to why I feel it is pointless to own one. The OP can't say it isn't a lot of work...putting coupons together and going to all these stores just to make a soda. No thanks.

7. kalasin

kalasinMember

Threads:

Sure I can say it's not a lot of work. It isn't. Both coupons I mentioned just get mailed to my house. I visit Kohl's all the time anyway, and BB&B is next to Costco, so it's not even like those places are out of my way to visit.

For those who don't drink soda, there are sparkling flavored water options also. My friend uses hers for plain sparkling water, actually.

8. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I have looked at these, and glad to hear it is saving you money. I would like one, but recently cut way back on soda, and now only get a carbonated drink maybe bi-monthly. If I were still drinking soda daily, I would have probably bought one by now.

9. jacqueline2194

jacqueline2194New Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love SodaStream. I save so much money on Red Bull and Diet Coke. I also like how it's environmentally friendly-- you create less waste-- and you can drink your favorite sodas without supporting the big corporations that make them (e.g. Coca-Cola, whose business practices I do not support).

10. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    There was recently a sale for this at Bed,Bath and Beyond and was looking for unbiased reviews. I have a soda addiction too that I want to get off. This seemed like a great deal, healthier and more environment friendly too. I might end up getting this too since I have a giftcard too and my savings will be very significant.

11. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Seems very handy for soda drinkers like me! A few questions for those that actually bought it :

How long does it take to setup? Is it a fairly simple process, or so you have to get used to it?

How much do you spend per can? How much does each flavor packet give?

I'm interested in buying this, but I want some things cleared up first.

12. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    It's pretty quick to set up. All you really have to do is change the gas canister every now and then and then screw in/out the bottle which will hold the drinks.

If I remember correctly, it was pretty expensive to buy the gas. The drink flavoring was fairly cheap and came in various sizes, but as with most products, you need to put more than the recommended amount in to get a good flavor. If you put the recommended amount in, then the drinks are fairly flavorless.

I don't really recommend these except for people who drink a lot of soda.

13. Albern

AlbernBanned

Threads:
    hmm sounds great.. I like love that

14. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I've thought about the Soda Stream but I don't know anyone who has one so I've never been able to try any of the flavors. I love diet Coke and mostly only want one to replace buying that. So basically if their "diet cola" doesn't taste like diet Coke then it wouldn't be worth it to me. I do like grape soda too, but I don't buy it often enough for it to be worth buying this.

15. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    I checked into buying one, but read a few reviews about the pain of CO2 refills. They had trouble finding a place to refill them, or to trade them in. Is it better now? Does any of the major stores do trade ins for the CO2 cartridge? I do not drink much soda, well OK, I do love Mountain Dew. Is there anything close to Mt Dew in the Soda Stream line of drinks?

16. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    A friend just bought on as a gift for a mutual friend of ours. I thought it was fun, not too much hassel and thought the drinks tasted really good. If I could pull off your coupon coup, I think I will be saving too on the amount of soda consumed in this house.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I thought about getting one of these too. However, I have too many questions on how to use the product. I am having trouble justifying buying an expensive item with all the questions I have. Some of my questions were answered in this post. I was questioning the price of the flavors and the price of the carbin refills. Thank you for answering some of my questions. I still don't think it's worth the money. To me, it seems easie and quicker to just buy a 2 Liter or a case of soda pop. But it sounds like a Soda Stream machine would be a good gift for a foodie or a gadget-lover. So it's a fun machine, but it is not necessary.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend that bought a Sodastream, and she just loves it ! I pretty much stopped drinking pop, but I developed a taste for carbonated water, and since there is no sugar and no artificial sweetener in that, there is no problem to drink it .
    If I had the Sodastream, it would be perfect since I would only need to change the co2 , and not worry about the flavor packages.

I have been watching for a good deal on one on either eBay or Craigslist, and when I can afford one, I will probably get it, since I am sure that I would use it a lot.
    I have never heard of carbonated tea, but I think I might like that, too, and as long as there was no sugar in it , the tea should be healthy enough, and much better to drink than sugary pop.

19. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Update...after my friends recent purchase now being a few months back, I was still loving the drinks. The machine seems to be holding up, the fun has not gone and I am going to get one myself! Can't wait to do this at my house.

20. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, my situation is the same, you proved that the Soda Stream can be a great buy; but in my household we hardly ever drink soda, so a soda stream would be unnecessary for us at this point.