Solar Panels

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by butterfly1 • Apr 29, 2015.

1. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    When I plan on moving I plan on getting solar panels and a solar generator. I am to my wits end when it comes to paying for things that we get overly charged for. I wanted to know if anyone has solar panels. If so what has been your experience with them. Have you saved money? Do you like them? What are some cons of having them? This is so that I can have a realistic idea of what to expect. If you do not have solar panels then do you have a geothermal system, what about a wind powered system…? I am curious to know. Because off the grid I have to go…lol

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My dad is an engineer, and he said it'd nearly impossible for solar panels to pay for themselves, let alone save you money. The solar cells break down over time, so most likely before you've gotten your money's worth in comparison to regular electric rates, you'll have to replace them.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've looked into purchasing solar panels before and it seemed like they were just a bit too expensive and the technology just isn't there yet for the purchase to be worth it. In my opinion it would be much better to wait until the technology catches up since anything cheap you could buy right now won't be efficient and will probably break down sooner than you would like.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It takes time. If you don' have time to invest in it than I would suggest ignoring the ideas you have now. It. Takes. Time. Though...like good stocks you invest in: It's worth it.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh wow, this is disappointing news regarding solar panels! In Botswana we're in severe shortage of electricity and more and more people are going with solar power, but so far all you hear is rave reviews. Unless these are people with very deep pockets, who are going for the ultimate best quality panels. The safari industry is also very eco-friendly and relies on solar power. What I keep hearing is that the initial capital outlay is very high, but the returns are more than worth it. Not that I can afford it at the moment, but I'd be interested to know answers to very specific questions.

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I respect his view, I had a similar view since week. I am about another decision away from getting solar panels. To get the entire system up and running, it will cost me about $8000 USD in my country, and um, lets say I pay a light bill of roughly $150 US monthly. If my math is correct, the system better provide me with an excess of 53 months of service-so as to give me any returns on my investment. They say the systems can last up to ten years, and...53 months is basically four years soooooooo, maybe it doesn't seem so impossible after all.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you live and how practical it is. I have solar panels in my home in Cyprus and even on a hot day there is only just enough water for a shower for a couple of people. It's not as practical as you think and the water doesn't stay hot and it's not as reliable.

I do like having them, but you cannot rely on them and need a back up system. My friend also lives in an eco friendly house and the heating failed in January and February (in the UK) and it was costly. The time I stayed with her, there was no hot water left in the evening for a bath.

8. IrishHeather

IrishHeatherMember

Threads:
    I to have had an interest in solar power for some time and would love to learn more about it. Does any one have any suggestions for reliable learning sites that can provide dependable information? I have Google searched several but I am still unsure of a reliable source. Any help would be greatly appreciated, my family is still in the learning and exploration mode when it comes to this idea. Thanks in advance!

9. tckc

tckcNew Member

Threads:
    I hear you on the price, but there are companies that lease the panels to you. You just pay monthly for the electricity you generate.

I have a lot of information about this in my head because I just wrote a blog post on this a few day ago. (Not trying to promote, it just has some useful information that I found.) Look at the links on the bottom. One of them gives a list of tax credits by zip code for implementing renewable energy.

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    One thing to consider is that the solar panels themselves can last 10 years if treated well and not cracked BUT the batteries are unlikely to last that long. And the ability of the batteries to hold a charge as well as their max output level will drop gradually over time, even if you take care of them. More expensive batteries can last longer but they're unlikely to last the full length of the solar panels' life. Less expensive batteries also require more maintenance and if they don't get it, their already shorter lifespan is reduced even more.

11. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Lol! nice point, so the solar panels themselves is not so much the problem, the batteries are...mhm, I see where that makes a lot of sense..because the panels are said to last longer than the batteries.So in that case then, for solar panel systems to make any sense to the customer, one would have to be given the batteries at a really affordable cost, anything less will just cause more expensive and worry. I think in the future more reliable batteries will come about though, so..we need not worry.

12. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    We have solar panels & batteries on our RV. They help and are worth the cost for us because they mean we can use campsites without hookups more often. They mean less generator use, which extends the life of our generator and means we don't have to buy as much fuel for it.

I think you can probably still save money with a solar system BUT it won't be as much as you think. For many people, solar is a combination of money saving & care for the environment.

13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have enough space at home to install a solar panel, even if small enough, but I have a solar lamps systems that works like a charm and has lowered my electricity bills, along with hallway electric lamps with sensors, which only turn on when someone is passing by.

No need to have full lighting in areas where people only stay for a few minutes or less.

As for the solar lamps, they are charged in pots outside the kitchen window, and then bring back to their hooks, placed in strategic places around my home.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have experience with the smaller solar panels, such as for outdoor security lights and small fountains? I've seen a lot of the fountains that are on their own, or for small ponds, that now are advertised as functioning on solar panels, but I'm not sure how they work, or whether they would be worth the investment.

15. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on where you live. A poster above said its"impossible" for solar to pay for its self. Not true. Here in Ontario the government pays you a premium rate for solar generated electricity. A friend of mine makes about $5000 a year from his solar roof-top installation.
    I am in the market for solar too, and you can't just stop in a buy a set. You REALLY need to do your research. First you need to learn about how panels work and what the different specs mean. Then you will need to learn what (if any) government incentives you may have access too. Finally you need to learn about installation (who will do it and how much will it cost and what permits you need.) ONLY after you have all this information can you proceed on planning and purchasing your solar setup. I will NOT be posting any specfic places to buy panels as I am not in the business of solar marketing. I know here in Ontario you have to buy with a certain % "made in Ontario" so I am limited to who I can buy from. Do your research and be diligent and you can not only make a buck but reduce your costs and save the planet while you are at it!

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, @BrandonScooterman@BrandonScooterman, it never occurred to me that I might actually need permits to have solar panels installed. That may not be the case where I am, but it's definitely something I hadn't taken into consideration. I have heard of government incentives to install solar panels, but I don't know if those are limited to specific products/set ups, so that's another thing to look into before I consider going this route.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently my local area has started to give homeowners a tax break for getting solar panels. It seems to be the way to go to reduced taxes and a savings on your power bills. I would like solar panels maybe not for the whole house but to cover the refrig and heater in our all electric house. We are going into the storm season when we often find ourselves without power for days.

18. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    Where I live there's no need of permits to install solar panels, but there aren't federal or state benefits, premiums or tax breaks either.

As for the question of solar panels to power small fountains (and other decorative items and devices) all of them work the same.

The small stuff has a scale panel made of solar cells that capture the sun energy and store it into rechargeable batteries.

Then, depending if this is a fountain, a figurine or else, there is an electric installation to make it work, only difference is than rather to connect directly to the AC, it's necessary put the item where sun hits the solar cells.

Usually panels are set either on top or one side of the item to make easier the charge.

19. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I don't get....we want to save electricity and protect the Earth but things like solar panels and electric cars are more expensive than the things we should not be using. Why don't governments get together and ensure that we can afford these things as they are detrimental to the health of our planet.

20. MyDigitalpoint

Threads:
    I guess it's all about politics. Governments might save millions of million dollars by encouraging the use of solar energy, and shifting themselves to use in public luminaries, as in example.

However there are many financial interests behind actual electric companies, gas companies and so on. Add to this that technology for sun power is cheaper than it was 10 or 20 years ago, but still too expensive for large scale changes at home.

All of this altogether is what is preventing solar panels to be a standard when it comes to saving energy, rather than just an option.