Some Clever Ideas For Old Phones, Tablets, Etc.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by S.O. Price • Apr 17, 2015.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Hi,

I thought this was a great article. It has some nifty ideas for how to get the maximum amount of use from your old phones, tablets, etc. All I ever thought of myself was using an old phone for an alarm clock! Here it is:

Hope this helps someone! :)

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of things you can do with an old tablet or smartphone, and the alarm clock is a common thing. However, you can also turn these items into miniature computers, arcade machines, and so much more. You can even sometimes salvage parts and build something entirely different with a few extra materials.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have been using my old phone as an alarm clock too! One of my phones broke and while I was waiting for Verizon to send me a knew one I whipped out my old flip phone and used it as an alarm clock all week. It was a life saver! lol

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my old cell as an alarm like most people. I like the idea of using the old cell as a dedicated music in the car, does the phone need be in service to be able to receive internet connection. My old phone is not active.

5. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I am assuming if you have your own router at home, an old cell phone would still be able to send & receive data through your router even if you had no official phone service. I know with the smart phone I am using right now, yes I have a phone plan but I use my router to send & receive the data part of the phone.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These are some very clever uses for old phones. I usually don't upgrade unless my phone is unusable (not working). Even then, I just recycle my old phones. Target and Best Buy takes phones.

I'm going to be getting a new smartphone soon because I dropped my phone and the screen is cracked. The touch screen still works, but I have tap on it to prevent the cracks from spreading. I will probably keep it to use as an alarm clock or mp3 player.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all these useful tips. But I am afraid once one of my electronic gadgets dies, I don't feel like hanging on to it. I only have a laptop, a tablet and a simple smartphone. I don't need more. The radiation from those three machines is enough for me. I only ever use them for work and never on a recreational basis.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Almost all of my old phones serve me now as either calculators or alarm clocks. Also if you're an avid gamer you can install a bunch of emulators on your old Android phones and you'll never be bored again.

9. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I always keep my old phone as a spare, just in case my current phone breaks, or I break it. Using is an an alarm is not a bad idea really.

People tend to sell them after they have finished with them, but I find its much better to keep them, after all, what would you do without a phone!

10. kofter128

kofter128New Member

Threads:
    A great idea is to use an old phone as an alarm phone, or a backup one in case something happens with your current one which, I guess, is inevitable. You could also keep the phone in your car as an emergency backup, charging it on the weekends for example. Another thing I do with my old phones is I would give them to my brother whenever he wants something new :D He would whine about not having a touchscreen phone and I'll just pop one out of the ol' locker. All of the tips in the article are great, but these are my 2 cents:)