Someone Who Doesn't Like Water?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TheKnight • Oct 23, 2016.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    What do you recommend doing if a person does not like drinking water? I know someone that can only drink flavored water and I'm fairly sure that it isn't healthy. She simply refuses to drink water because she hates that there isn't any flavor. She knows about the consequences but still refuses. It's quite concerning.

I'd like some advice on this matter.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that plain or pure water has a not so pleasant taste. I also prefer other liquids than water but I always drink water as long as I can endure for the sake of my kidneys. And to make plain water more drinkable, you can add fresh lemon drops for flavoring. That is what I normally do when we have fresh lemon at home.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays if you are living on a highly urbanized city, the water being used for drinking is chemically processed for its potability. It is good in our place we are still drinking water coming fresh from the spring through the water district. It tastes fresh and tastes good. Well, I don't know where you live. It depends on where you get your water.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I love water especially when it's nice and cold. I have a friend who dislikes water and she would always take flavored water to work which of course is not healthy. Then one day a friend suggested she add water in a jar with ice and a few slices of cut fruit to it and leave it in the fridge over night to let the flavors and water mix, no need to add sugar. In the morning she would have natural flavored water. I have tried it and it's so nice and refreshing.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a country where one has to consume lot of water every day. I myself consume 3-5 liters of water every day according to weather conditions starting right from morning. I suggest if someone doesn't like to drink plain water he can add lime juice to taste it different. Since we use a water purifier it already taste different.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried adding lime juice to the drink but the same problem persists. ''It's too in plain and watered down.'' Are there any other sources of liquids I can use to add a bit more flavor without adding sugar?

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In that case I suggest you to add sweetened lime/orange juice to make it tastier. You know if you can drink one glass of plain water at a time you will be able to drink 3 glasses of sweetened water easily provided you have no problem with sugar. We consume lots of water mixed with ice, sugar/salt and lime during summers to keep us properly hydrated.

8. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand people who can dislike water. I understand the point in not liking to buy water because I hate doing that as I just believe water is free so why should I buy it. It's definitely not healthy to not be drinking water but I don't see a lot of alternatives. She can just start eating more juicy fruits as they have healthy liquids in them but she really should start drinking water.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually there is no alternative of drinking water in areas like ours where the temperature remains in the range of 20-42 degree C for more than 8 months in a year besides being too humid at times. As far buying water is concerned the level of water is going down constantly and what we get is no more drinkable so almost everyone either buy water or uses water purifiers for safe drinking water.

10. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Yea I mean, I'll just buy a purifier and get the water from home. By buying water, I don't necessarily mean my water bill haha! I mean like buying it from a shop or something.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Well, my thought process has always been that if you start replacing pure water with sugared water, the extra sugar intake shouldn't be too good for you and especially since I think it would make you thirstier causing you to drink more water.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what I mentioned in my post about sugar. If one has problem with extra sugar he should avoid it and same is the case with salt. But it is area specific. In my area saline water is good because of humid and hot conditions. We sweat a lot resulting in loss of salt from our body.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a very hot and humid area too. I live in a tropical peninsula. I actually found out that she prefers mineral water than regular water for some reason. Is mineral water a good enough substitute?

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    [QUO As you are well aware that excess of any thing is bad be it vitamins or minerals.Therefore I would not suggest use of minerals, salt or sugar without any specific need.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I can relate to this. I don't really like plain water either, although I do drink it. I should probably be drinking more of it though.

If you don't want to buy bottled water that comes already flavored, you can try some healthier, less expensive options. Making your own "infused water" is a good choice. You only need a small amount of fresh fruit to flavor the water, and fresh fruit is healthy and good. Any citrus fruit will work as will strawberries, pineapple, and more. Try it out with several different types of fruit until you find a favorite.

There is also a product called "True Lemon," which is crystallized fruit (like a powder but no sugar etc. added to it). You can add it to water if you don't want to mess with the fresh fruits. It tastes great and it's less mess. You might want to try it if you find it on sale. It comes in lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit (not sure if there are other flavors).

It also helps if the water is icy cold before drinking.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In some cultures, like the South Korean one, water is drunk with every meal, assuming they're not eating at a western fast food restaurant. Therefore, Koreans will hardly neglect the intake of water. In addition, Korean food is very spicy. Therefore, people always need to cool their tongue.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is that people can increase water intake by drinking it with meals. However, certain western people tend to drink soda, milk, or orange juice with every meal.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, You know Indian food is perhaps the most spicy in the world as most of us use spices in enough quantity the need of drinking water is always there. We all consume water irrespective of weather conditions. I generally drink up to 5 lit of water during summers.

18. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    How about drinking lemonade or coconut water? The later coukd be costly and availability may be an issue but lemonade can easily be prepared. Add a pinch of salt, a tablespoon of sugar and squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water. That tastes awesome!

Alternatively, one can add honey in water too.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As a matter of policy I would avoid adding anything to my water barring lemon in some cases. Honey is fine but it reduces wait, adding salt may increase the prescribed quantity of 5 gm/per day if added unless must or in case you really add saline to your system. I prefer large quantity of plain water without any problem whatsoever.

20. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I have found out that she likes drinking Gerber water for babies. She said it tastes sweet and not bitter like the rest. I just thought I'd let you guys know. It's a bit expensive but if it's for her health, I suppose it's worth it. She didn't like adding anything to the plain water either but Gerber water was a go. Gerber water doesn't taste so sweet to me but it does have a more refreshing taste.