Something To Serve Several People That Goes With Lasagna

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Aug 3, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm going to be having company for dinner, and we are making lasagna. Aside from garlic bread, does anyone have a good idea of something not too expensive that would go well with it and will accommodate several people?

I was thinking about maybe just making a relish tray or a salad. I'd prefer to serve something that won't require another entire set of plates too (so maybe not a salad).

I'd be grateful for your ideas. I want to keep costs down, but I don't just want to pop lasagna on a plate and be done with it. I just can't seem to come up with many ideas at the moment.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would serve several sides such as coleslaw, a bean salad, a mixed bowl of greens, or some roasted veggies. It can be simple, or even some wedges.

In Italy most people like spinach on the side or some roasted peppers, and bread to mop up the sauce.

3. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Whenever I make my lasagna, I always add spinach to it. I'm guessing you're not making yours like that, so maybe you can have spinach as a side. I think a salad would be a lovely accompaniment with the meal and not to mention pretty simple. Oh, maybe you can make some tabouleh.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I think your idea of a salad is perfect. Most of the time when I make lasagna, that's what I prefer to eat as my side dish. I think it compliments it well and keeps the meal well balanced and healthy. The two just seem to go together. It's typically what is served with lasagna in most Italian restaurants that I've tried.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, spinach is always a great idea. A nice, fresh, spinach salad is always a good choice as well.

I ended up just serving a veggies tray before hand to snack on while waiting for dinner, and we had the lasagna and garlic bread for the meal. Since it was being followed by cake and ice cream later, it was more than enough anyway. Everyone was quite satisfied by the end of the day.

I will keep these ideas in mind for next time I need a quick, simple, side dish.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shanghai rolls came to mind. They're cheap to make right? You can also try buttered beans as side dish. Or some kind of soup that can serve as side dish as well.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    A really pretty salad with all the good stuff in it. 2 or 3 choices of dressing. I think that's all you really need with lasagna. Some good garlic bread and nice salad and maybe a cheesecake for dessert.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Soup is another great choice. It's simple and affordable and satisfying. That makes for a great appetizer, especially when you have nice bread too. Good idea. I make soup a lot, but I didn't even think of that.

Salads are my "go to" thing, because I enjoy them so much, so I wanted something different. Spinach salad could have worked too though.

Bread is my stand by. I can get nice, fresh, big loaf of French bread for a buck. I can get it cheaper at the end of the day, for everyday use, but I usually get the freshest for parties.

9. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I always serve my lasagna with green beans, toss with a little pepper and butter (yummy). A salad would be a nice addition as well to the lasagna, I always try to pair it with a lighter side (since the lasagna is so hearty and flavorful)! Now you got me in the mood of cooking lasagna!

10. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    In my book, you can't go wrong with a cheesecake. A pie is good too, but cheesecake just takes it to another level.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I would do a soup and or salad to start. A nice crisp caesar salad is always a hit. It's easy and quick to make. Not too many ingredients and can be made just before your guests arrive so it's fresh. I find the grocery store caesar dressings are very good, add croutons, bacon bits and fresh parmesan cheese. A favourite soup with my kids is Italian wedding soup with mini meatballs, spinach, tiny pasta and parmesan cheese on top. Again super easy to make and it's a great starter for a heavy meal like lasagna.