*Sometimes* kids DO know best! Aldi's

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Meowmie • Mar 9, 2014.

1. Meowmie

MeowmieMember

Threads:
    Maybe my kids are getting too old, but this past year they introduced me to Aldi's. Perhaps I should clarify, the re-introduced me. When my oldest son, who is extremely picky, told me he shopped there and it was great, my jaw hit the floor.

I have memories of Aldi's. Back in the last '70's when they were new in my area. Everyone was talking about how great they were. I went to the bank and got some cash and headed out with my mom to explore. Things were so cheap, and I was on such a tight budget, I was in heaven. Knowing often times private label are the same as national brand, just different packaging and cheaper because they don't pay for advertising, I was not dissuaded by the lack of name recognition.

I stocked up on the mac and cheese that looked like it had to be kraft inside, I bought several packages of bacon which was on my 'can't afford list' Cans of the extra tiny peas, pork and beans, I spent about $100 and back in the '70's that was a LOT of food.

Then I got home and started cooking. The bacon was horrible, as was the mac and cheese. Some of the other things were passable, some needed a lot of doctoring. Then threw the other packages other packages of bacon in the garbage. I swore I would NEVER enter an aldi's again. They had their brands made by the major producers, but at the lowest standards.

Then I finally gave in a month or two ago and ventured back in, if only to shut my kids up. I bought a few things, but was leery. Never more than one of any item, no matter how much it resembled the 'real' thing.

After trying them I realized the Aldi's of the '70's was totally transformed. I went back and stocked up. I tend to buy only organic and of items that have been modified, only certified GMO free. I was still able to get a fair amount of the things I needed. I will not be able to depend on Aldi's for all my shopping unless they stock more organic items, but it did put a huge dent in my grocery bill.

Guess it's time to start listening to my kids. Are there other's out there that sworn off Aldi's based on what they were in the past? If so, I highly recommend giving it another look.

Some people would call me a cheap skate, my grandmother would say I learned well.

2. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    I enjoy Aldi's too! Sadly, there are very few in my area. Before I moved I had several local Aldi's with organic produce and other great, cheap products. In my current location Aldi's is less well stocked. It is still cheap and I go once in a while to buy frozen foods or German cuisine but other stores offer more of what I am looking for. My closest Aldi's is 20 minutes away so I am more likely to shop at Walmart. It sound dumb but I love that you have to put quarters in Aldi shopping carts, I think it's a great idea and a very efficient system.