Songs That Cheer You Up

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • May 16, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Do you listen to songs to pick up your mood when you are down? I used to do this and then I stopped, so now I'm left with nothing but old cheery songs which I don't really want to listen to anymore. Anyone got some good pick-me-up songs you would recommend? Any song from any genre is welcome, so that everyone's tastes are catered to, and not just mine. :)

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want to admit it, but the song "You Don't Know You're Beautiful" by One Direction is a pretty good way to get perked up. It's very catchy and has an upbeat tempo and great lyrics that is sure to light up everyone's day. Well, except if you hate One Direction of course.

3. Moriarty

MoriartyNew Member

Threads:
    For me the Run DMC song "King of Rock" is my go-to motivator. If you don't like rap-rock it might not work for you but that song has great energy to it. F*** You by Gnarles Barkely is a lot of fun. I also like a lot of AC/DC songs, especially For Those About to Rock and Back in Black. If you're looking for something a little softer Float On by Modest Mouse and The Middle by Jimmy Eat World are probably good choices as is Build Me Up Buttercup by the Foundations and No Rain by Blind Melon.

4. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I've always liked Three Dog Night's Joy to the World. I just can't stay in a bad mood whenever it's playing. But then again, I like a lot of '70s music. Even though there's a lot of sad songs from that era, there's a lot of uplifting ones as well. Or ones that are just fun to listen to. I also like Ballroom Blitz, Karn Evil 9, Ride My See Saw, to name a few. They don't write songs like those anymore.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Music has a way of lifting my mood. I can't stay sad or depressing listening to my favorite music. I enjoy listening to spiritual type music with a powerful and uplifting message.

Other go-to songs:
    --Walking on Sunshine
    --Eye of the Tiger
    --Happy ( I also enjoy watching the 24 videos on YouTube. I start my day by listening to one Happy video.)
    --Just about any Motown song except for the really sad ones by the Diana Ross and the Supremes

6. samoosh

samooshNew Member

Threads:
    Keep Your Head Up by Andy Grammar always makes me smile. It's the song they sing in Pitch Perfect at the acapella group party thing. Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds and Twist n Shout by The Beatles always cheer me up too because I'm a huge 80's film nerd and those are in my two favourite John Hughes movies.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Check out this song:

I love it, cheers me up every time. It makes me feel positive and all warm and glowing. I hope you enjoy it! :)
    If you want more suggestions, feel free to ask me. I need good, happy songs most days to get me through life's challenges.

#7Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I'm feeling down unlike most of those who've commented here who go for upbeat songs, I prefer listening to slow depressing songs. I don't how it works but it sort of makes me realize the problems I'm facing are not worth worrying over. One of the songs that really cheer me up is "We Carry On" by Tim McGraw. It's a poignant song which still gives you hope of getting over any issue because, hey, the sun always rises in the morning.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I judge a "cheery" song by it's beat and not it's lyrics, so I guess you can listen to most of Kesha's songs like "Tic Tok" or even the pessimistic song "Die Young". Right now I''m loving her latest song with Pitubll, "Timber".

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Listening, not so much; unless I'm singing them. The first one that popped in my head was Garth Brooks's "

" (the video features a mentally-retarded kid who trains hard for the school track-meet and who still finishes last in the race but runs the whole thing anyway---even after ALL THE OTHER KIDS have set down long ago). A lot of country-songs are like that: 'life is hard, but I'm here to keep running.'

Yeah, "

" by The Beatles (tho I like the The Wonder Years-version that Joe C. did). Like most country-songs & hard life blues-songs (when they aren't about 'some broken-hearted whining).

11. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    "Aiueongaku" by GReeeeN has been my most recent cheer-me-up song, despite how short it is (less than 2 minutes, sadface).

My staple feel-good songs pretty much come from various artists depending on the type of upbeat music I want. I listen to a variety from Passion Pit, fun., and The Fratellis. A lot of alternative music has "pop" like features, and I tend to gravitate towards them more. Always puts me in a better mood. :)

12. pfaemaster

pfaemasterMember

Threads:
    I have a standard playlist that I listen to when I feel down. Also, I can listen to a song I like for an endless amount of times. Here are my top ones. I hope that they may cheer you up as much as they did for me.

Working Man - Imagine Dragons
    Underdog - Imagine Dragons
    Rocks - Imagine Dragons
    Annie Mae - Apollo Run
    Act IV - Apollo Run
    Autumn Song - Apollo Run

Act IV and Autumn Song aren't traditionally "happy", but are very capable of cheering you up!

13. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy most of the songs of the Rizzle Kicks, but one song really stands out for me.

Rizzle Kicks - Mama do the hump

It's just such a powerful song and I love the tune of it too. I'm already waiting for their next album and hope they'll have some more good mood songs to cheer me up, when I'm feeling down.

14. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    This same question came up in another forum on another website, and I'm going to give a similar answer to the one that I gave there - I tell ya, this question is simultaneously easy and impossible to answer. There is so much great feel good music out there that you have a cornucopia of options at your disposal; however, music is such a subjective thing that one's personal tastes are by far the largest factor in picking stuff that will cheer you up.

Personally, I find it impossible to remain in a bad mood when I listen to any song done in an uptempo bluegrass style. I am powerless against it, and must immediately smile and commence much tapping of toes. Also, "She's a Woman" is a great one for me, but (and here's an example of personal taste holding sway over all else) not the original Beatles version, it must be Jeff Beck's cover version, and not a live performance, but specifically the album rendition from "Blow by Blow".

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that anime battle songs cheer me up, like The Reluctant Heroes from Attack on Titan or Before My Body Is Dry from Kill La Kill. A lot of times my life feels like a battle and sometimes it feels like my bill collectors and landlord and ex husband are ganging up on me, so I play my battle songs as I'm working and hustling to slay those bills.