Soy Meat Vs The Real Type

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Jul 30, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

Soy meat is obviously cheaper. Nonetheless, some people might claim it simply doesn't taste enough like real meat. Also, some are opposed to vegetarianism. Anyway, what is your take on soy stuff? Myself, the only experience I had was with these soy hamburgers they had in grade school all the time.

2. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I love eating tofu but I really don't like soy milk. It's true that it doesn't taste as good as real meat but I prefer eating fried tofu over real meat. It's because it's healthier, can give me the protein that I need without an animal being killed and lastly, I love how tofu tastes.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I can eat tofu some days of the week but not always. I prefer to have variety in my food choices instead of focusing on certain foods to the exclusion of other foods that are as healthy. I love fried tofu as well as tofu cooked with pork strips and soy sauce. Surprisingly, this cheap food has high levels of calcium and iron and some protein and magnesium, too. It tastes bland on its own but you can always add dips and seasonings to make it flavorful. I don't favor consuming too much soy products, though, as some studies have linked it to cancer growth, particularly breast cancer, due to its high content of isoflavones which are estrogen-like compounds.

4. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, soy meat is cheaper here as well than the real meat. I cannot consume soy meat, I have tried to eat soy meat but I cannot eat it, it makes me sick and I stay in bed for hours.
    It doesn't matter how cheap it is, I still prefer the real meat!

5. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I love tofu/soy meat a lot it's a meat alternative that has lots of proteins and other nutrients including iron, calcium and amino acids. When I was still young I dislike it a lot because of it's texture and it lacks flavor but I love "taho" (soybean curd mix with sugar syrup and tapioca pearls). But growing up, I have learned to love tofu especially when it is mix with "adobo" ( a popular native Filipino cuisine).

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I've had soy meat before and I do like it I think it all depends on how it is prepared. I don.t cook it myself but I have had people get me trying their soy dishes and they do an excellent job cooking it. I buy already prepared soy chorizo from the market and my family loves it, it actually tastes like the real thing.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The price of soy meat depends on location. The last time I check, chicken is cheaper than Tofu, tempeh and Gluten meat. So this tip is not applicable to me. Offal is the real cheap food for me. I can buy pounds of liver or chitterlings for a cheaper price than any food items.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've eaten both, like both, but like meat better. Found some at Walmart that's cooked and ready to add veggies for a meal at a very good price, so I'd buy real meat. Veggie bacon is expensive! I fry tofu all by itself...cut it up in little blocks sprinkle sea salt and fry and sprinkle with soy sauce to eat with rice-mixed rice, brown and white rice with lentils & barley. You know what I found prepared beef by John Soules, it's delicious! I find for a small family these prepared foods is cost effective and you eat it all up with no waste. To save money, I wait for beef sales that's weekly. I love 93, 90% fat free hamburger meat the best. Actually I like ground chuck beef or sirloin beef burgers the best, but it's pricey. So I wait for sales or look for something I can afford to cook my Spanish rice with ground beef and bacon, add some fresh veggies like onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and you got a meal all in one!

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not opposed to vegetarianism but I give priority to the taste of food. So even if they say soda is not good, I still drink it because I enjoy Coke. And to neutralize the bad effect, I drink lots of water afterwards. With the meat, I will never exchange real beef or pork for the soy meat. Don't get me wrong, I have been dining in a vegetarian restaurant here called Bodhi, but only for a novelty. Honestly, I don't enjoy vegetarian food especially the meat imitation. I would rather eat vegetable salad than the soy meat that is pretending to be beef.