Spam - A Cheap Snack When Hungry

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Oct 28, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Spam is good, but remember to cook it. Note, I like and have eaten uncooked spam also, but I think it's a risk Anyway, spam is quite cheap but is it cheaper than tuna fish?

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a vegetarian so only have a basic idea of spam. I think it's the only ready made meat preparation which can be used right out of the can. I think the spam has a unique combination of pork and ham with potato and sugar. Maybe it's one of the most popular of meat brands due to its price or one can eat it as it comes in different flavors and tastes.

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I used spam on pasta sauces, fried rice , omelettes and Pizza toppings. I shred it into thin pieces when I mix it with marinara sauce. I cut it into small cubes in Pizza and omelettes. I also love using it for making sandwiches. It also works well in Clam chowder, it's savory taste works well with the clams and the cream of the soup.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our State we got our annual Spam Jam which is a big celebration of the joy of eating Spam. I like Spam sliced up, uncooked in hot ramen noodles! I also cook up Spam & eggs for breakfast every so often! Hawaii is the biggest consumers in the U.S. for Spam, lol.

is the site for more information. spam-jam-678x300.
    foodland_spam_musubi8.
    This delicious Spam Musubi, is a local favorite for many different nationalities and is sold almost everywhere there is food. I make these at home with sea weed with dried plum or ume. I like my Spam fried and put on these delicious rice balls or musubi. I bought a special gadget just to make my Spam Musubi and bought my special sea weed wrap or nori so it's just the way I love to eat it. It's a meal in itself. I add a side dish of fresh veggies and my rice is a mixture or brown, black, white rice with mugi or barley & lentils. You're so right Spam goes on sale for 1.99 or 1.89 if you buy 6 or 8 at a time depending on the store that has the sale. I love 2 slices of Spam fried and made into a sandwich just add mustard and mayo and lettuce, yummie! I like Spam a lot and it's very cheap on sale! Check online at stores like CVS, Walgreens & Safeway which has weekly sales and sometimes you'll see Spam on sale too!

5. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Its a cheap snack but I have to watch my blood pressure,so for me it has to much saturated fat,sodium and cholesterol. But it would be great in a pinch or if you are stuck fighting a war and thats all there is. But even short term -when eating spam, you may suffer from stomach cramps and become dehydrated so be careful if you are sensitive to these things.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are lots of cheap snacks available, you just need to read the labels and shop when things are on offer. My dad loves fried spam and fries it with an egg and has it with rice or noodles. It's a simple dish but he likes it, and as long as it's not every day then why not? Try it chopped up and fried with onions in an omelet and apparently it tastes good.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    There is a brand of Luncheon meat that is cheaper than Spam. It is a Chinese brand known as Ma-ling. It tasted exactly like spam but it has less sodium. It might be more expensive in most western countries though but it is very cheap online.

8. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I like to have one or two bananas for a snack when I am hungry. Bananas are cheap and are a cheap source of carbohydrates and vitamins. It gives the body fast energy. Sometimes I have 2-3 boiled eggs for a healthy snack.

9. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot speak for everyone, but spam or spiced ham is a luxury here at my place (never actually tasted one!) but we have a local version almost the price of a local canned sardines (about less than a dollar depending on the manufacturers brand). Bananas are really cheap here and pretty awesome too and healthy, it's one of my favorite snacks until now. I won't be snacking a spam anyway, but if ever I love to have it on breakfast with some egg and coffee.

10. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Spam costs around almost 4 dollars from where I am from while a can of tuna would just be more than a dollar. I also like spam, I usually eat it with either rice or bread. I do not like eating the locally made ones since they do not taste really good unlike spam. I can eat uncooked spam or steamed, I hate it when it's fried.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I did not know what Spam was. So I checked the wordweb dictionary. It reads "canned meat largely made from pork." If Spam is pork meat, I will have to avoid this. I don't eat pork. It is more of a cultural issue rather than health issue. I am Hindu and belong to brahmin clan where pork is not allowed.

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know about Spam as I think it's not available in my country, but we can buy Ma-ling here. There are a few other brands like Ma-ling here, and sometimes we buy them for main meal, but not snack. We usually just cut them into pieces and fry them, then serve with rice. Sometimes we cut them into small cubes and add in fried rice too. Though we all enjoy eating this kind of luncheon meat, we have read it's not good for health as the sodium level is high, so we try to not consume it too often.

The price has gone up quite high in these last 10 years, they used to be quite cheap in the market.

13. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I have never eaten spam but from what I have heard, I think it is a cheap snack to have if you are trying to save a bit of money. I would say that it is slightly cheaper than tuna, I been around the markets and have seen the price of it every now and again. Though sometimes it depends where you live at to say it is cheap.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Spam is also our runaway food. When in a hurry, spam and bread is easy to make for a sandwich and it goes well with mayonnaise and lettuce or cucumber. But we fry it and the thin slices become crisp. I don't remember eating uncooked spam although I know that it is safe to eat.

15. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I never liked spam even when I was a child but I worked as a cook in an old people's home and they absolutely loved it fried in batter. It was known as the poor man's food in their day as I guess it was cheap to buy. There's something about it that's turns my stomach though.:p

16. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    For a minute there I thought it was a typo. :). You do learn something new every day. We don't have this meal in my country, this is the first I have heard of this. It does look like a delicious packed meal and maybe I can try make it. I love trying out new simple recipes from different regions.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried spam and I haven't seen them in my location. It sounds like a cheap and easy cooking snack. I have heard of many people trying spam and say it's quite good but since it's not too healthy they don't eat it too often. I have tried other brands of similar snacks and most have been good.

18. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Spam is just a brand of Luncheon meat aka canned Ham. I am sure every country in the world have their own brand of it. So the people who claim it doesn't exist on their country just ignored the existence of canned hams on their countries. Spam is cheap in the US , UK and Canada but it is very pricey in Asia so people there preferred Ma-ling.