Spending Money On Online Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Radix24 • Feb 15, 2015.

1. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've never spent money in game or on an online game, so I haven't had that problem. I did hear that GaiaOnline recently shut down their "zOMG!" mmorpg, and a lot of members were mad because they had spent a good chunk of money in that game. And Gaia has shown no means of turning purchased "zOMG!" items into something else, like wearable items or etc. So, a lot of members are a bit angry. (Though, side note, GaiaOnline has been slowly going down the drain for a while now. It's only a matter of time til they end up closing.)

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you better classify it as a loss, because it's already. I mean get over. Would you wanna lose more money? Don't wait until things get worse. Do the right thing as early as now, or at least one that's less bad, that's just simply avoiding paying for online games or involving your own personal money for that. Let your experience be a lesson for you. Learn from it.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It's pretty much gone. Unless you can call in for a refund you're pretty much stuck with regret. I once had a Ragnarok Online account which was stolen along with everything and I never got it back which is a bummer because I've spent a lot of money on. The only thing I did was try to ask the GM for assistance.

4. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    It sucks when an online game service closes. But at the same time, when you spend money on entertainment as a service rather than entertainment as a product, you don't actually own what you paid for.

Ragnarok as been around a VERY long time. There have been plenty of MMO games that has came and gone all while Ragnarok continued to live on.

Personally, I've always had this kind of worry when it came to online gaming. But we all know a server has to close at some point.

5. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    If you pay for stuff on online games, it is money gone. If the servers are out already, there is no way for you to retrieve your money and your game, unlike in physical board games wherein you lose money (because you purchase it), but the game stays with you.

So, for those willing to spend money on online games, I say, spend if you like, but spend only a little. I don't recommend purchasing as many online items in a game or upgrading your game just because you are a little impatient to wait (like buying builder's hut for Clash of Clans because you only have two builders to upgrade your camp). Or better yet, don't buy at all. It's not like your game is your life. We still have important things outside of our online games. So just chill, enjoy the game, and avoid paying for the upgrades.

As for losing your money, I am not sure if there is some way to get your money back for all the items you purchased for Ragnarok. Maybe there isn't. Just lessons learned.

6. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    It's sad, right? I'd rather spend money on entertainment as a product rather than as a service. At least, with a product, like a monopoly board game, I can keep it when I am bored, and show it to little cousins once they're grown up. I can even teach them the game. With games as online services, once servers are out, they're out. And all I can tell little cousins are just memories of it. No fun.

I know how you feel. Your worry mirrors mine. I know CoC will eventually close, but I hope it will last for years so I can still continue to enjoy.