Spending Too Much On Clothes You Don't Need?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Gold Coin • Apr 13, 2017.

1. Gold Coin

Gold CoinNew Member

Threads:
    You probably have some advice on how to change. From a splurge to a frugal. From a hoarder to hoarder-then-renovate/repair-and-sell? Or stay where you are as disciplined consumer who only spends on clothes what is genuinely needed at the time?

When my children were small, we were given so much hand-me-down clothes. A lot of them were brand names, of good taste to fashionable, modest and useful. I bought some of mine from Op-shops (secondhand Thrift stores). Thanks to wealthy women who change their wardrobe and donate their ‘old ones’ every season.

Sometimes, we buy children’s clothes we need that are off the season bargain selling. But 2 or 3 size up for the next year’s use.

Anything to save money on clothes is worth it. Especially when we are a one-income, one-bread-winner large family.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very good idea to save money when you buy at thrift shops. You can find Gucci bags to resell too if you're at the right place at the right time...I've seen them at Saver's and people do buy them too. I've heard people buy books from Savers and resell on ebay. People find all kinds of treasures and resell them to make money. I got a Saver's card too and signed up for email alerts. You find all kinds of sales, specials throughout the year. With your Saver's Red Card, you get a day of 25% off on Monday locally, then we have a Senior Discount Day on Tues. for 30% off, wonderful for we save even more money.

3. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    That's an awesome opportunity to save @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. I wish we had something similar in our area.

When it comes to kids, its true that most clothes come as a gift or a handover and you actually need very few for the first few years of life. The more you save on clothes the better as they are as it is going to outgrow them pretty quickly.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Brand new clothes are indeed quite expensive. For the price of 1 brand new clothing, you can buy several pieces of pants or tops already, so buying 2nd hand is the way to go. I actually have saved a lot of money that way. Now I refuse to buy a $10 shirt, instead I will look for sales or thrift shops.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am showing this thread to my wife because she is the one who has that habit of buying things that she doesn’t really need at present. And with clothes, it’s not good to say this but she has almost tenfold of the space that I have. Our 2 dressers have 4 partitions and I occupy one partition only, the rest are used by my wife. She also has a portable closet. Anyway, she buys clothes when there is a sale and even if the size is smaller than her size, she would still buy that in the hope that she would be successful in her diet program which is just a dream.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We belong to a poor family. Our parents just bought clothes enough for us to wear. That clothes even last for several years until my parents got sufficient money for another set of new clothes.

Now I have my own family and my monthly income is above average. My wife makes it a habit to buy new clothes for any a special occasion. When those clothes are already out of trend or they add more spaces to our cabinet we donate them to our poor and needy members of our Church.

By practice, we never spend much for clothes. We spend it more on foods, medicines, and vitamins.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady :)I'm so sorry you don't have thrift shops where you live. You can get a lot of clothes for all seasons too at thrift shops. I hope some day you'll have thrift shops in your area so you can save so much money.

#7Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Since my kids are the oldest among all the kids of my siblings, I usually keep all their good clothes and give them to my sisters for their kids. However, I do not receive any used clothes for my kids, since they are the eldest except for my elder sister’s children who are too old.

We have a market every Mondays, which sells defective branded clothes at throw away prices. I have bought a few of them and there is hardly any noticeable defects in them. This is also one way to save money on clothes.

9. SammyGregory

SammyGregoryMember

Threads:
    Thrift shops and seasonal sales. Typically once a season end those clothes will go on sale so you can buy them for the next year. Also tax free day around the beginning of the school year tends to have good deals and black friday.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You could buy clothing in the off-season more,and also be careful about impulse buying, because there is quite a bit of temptation to buy things you could live without as well. You can also get creative with your wardrobe,and mix your look up a bit more,with a more minimalist mentality overall,and try to find different looks with the clothes you have.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    This is a kind of attitude that I never had, I do not have and I hope I never have. :)

I really only usually buy what I need (and this extends to any follow-up, not just for the clothes). My parents directed me very well in that direction (and in the others too, of course :cool:).

12. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    It's hard, but I am trying not to buy clothes I don't need. What I usually do is sell my old ones. Together with my sister and my mom, we sell our old clothes and use the proceeds to buy new ones or it goes to savings. Even if these old clothes would cost a half lesser than the original price, at least some money goes back to our pockets as compared to stuffing old clothes to the basement.

13. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    For us elders, we're not extravagant, but kids' clothes are bought very often even if not required. Sales are the biggest single trigger for impulse buying. Sometimes the deals are pretty lucrative, so extra buying happens.
    It is true that unnecessary purchase of clothes is just waste of money, but we never go overboard, for sure.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Some people put aside their money and wait on certain sales events to do their shopping for clothes. They have an idea when these events may occur and they make the most of it as much as they can. They may buy and store the clothes for the next season for which they are suitable.

15. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not in the habit of stocking up on clothes I don't need. I may buy in advance if there's a sale but only those clothes that I feel sure I will use within a few months to a year for expected events. That way, I get to save a lot and feel less stressed on the day of the event. My closet is not huge enough to accommodate too many clothes and I would sometimes give out used clothes that I no longer use to relatives who want them. Now that I'm learning to make my own clothes, I'll probably be able to save more on clothes.

16. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well i only buy clothes nowadays because i'm required at my job to do so, but if i had the chance i would only buy the minimum that i need since i don't see any reason to spend that much money on clothes.